17days post Op my waterproof dressing has fallen off?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I am now 17 days post op and doing fantastic. My surgeon told me i have dissolvable stitches and when the dressing falls off it falls off but now i am a bit nervous. I liked having that protection. He didnt say when it would fall off so i dont know if its to soon or not.

Any advice would be appreciated

Karen

Queensland, Australia

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

According to my log (see my website), i had my clips out on day 15 - so it is time for you to discard that dressing and celebrate another milestone !!!

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

I had skin glue with stitches underneath. My "special" dressing came loose and when I went back, they simply took it off and told me to "air dry" and not get wet till week #6, only squeeze a bit of water over incision with washcloth an never ever rub. The nurse told me the same thing. I'm not sure if it's the same as mine... but it's the one I had on when I woke up from surgery. Thick with adhesive edges. Thought I heard "silver" was in it to speed healing and protect from infection. I did fine with the air dry and no dressing ever after that. Here is my scar as of yesterday. PT told me proper way to massage and help scar be less noticeable and thick. I bought vitamin E and "scar cream" both, but he said any lotion w/o perfume will do and only use a tiny, tiny amount. There might be YouTube video. I wouldn't be worried if that bandage is like mine, still be sure to call your doctor and find out. 17 days seems like plenty of time. The bandage wasn't made for long term. I know it feels odd without that protection, but they said no bandage at all.. air day is the best thing you can do. Not to get wet. I was so happy at 6 weeks when I could take a tub bath and felt human again. Dab lightly on incision and never rub. I do think you'll be OK. 
    • Posted

Hi Luvinlex

The bandage i had was a waterproof bandage and when it came off I still have small surgical tape across incision. I will use cream to massage ince they fall off.

Your scar doesnt look back is that at 6 weeks?

I was going to post you a pic of mine but not sure how lol

Anyway i will see PT next week and might just let my GP have a look just as precaution but i think its fine 😀

• Posted

-hi karen, 

going good !!!  I had staples removed 14 days post-op and asked (both times) for dressing to be put on - Just the protection on this fragile area 

made me feel - there were some little holes that were not completely closed yet - But I am assuming that you do not have them ..

Just do what makes you feel comfortable right now - 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you Renee,

i have dissolvable stitches and yes just liked the added protection of dressing but doing ok and getting used to it now. I will see PT next week and maybe drop into my GP and just have her have a look at it to make me feel better 😀

Hope you are doing well on your recovery 

Karen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.