18 and Scared

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've just come back from doctors for a lump in my breast. I'm 18 and she said it was quite normal (and said it was probably something with a long name I can't remember) and because of my age is probably fine and is to do with menstrual cycle, but to come back if anything changes or if it still there by the time of my next cycle. This has terrified me! I think I was hoping it would be absolutely nothing and I could move on, but now I'm so scared it's something!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Charlotte, I'm sure every woman has the same fear as you at least once in her life,so you are not alone.

However at 18 its highly unlikely to be something nasty and is probably a fluid filled cyst which will disappear as mysteriously as it arrived.    Its fairly common in Teenage girls and its just the breast growing and adjusting to the hormone fluctuations in your menstrual cycle.  Try not to touch or feel it anymore and just examine the breast a month from now. 

Your doctor has given you exactly the right advice.

• Posted

The problem is I'm an extremely anxious person (been on so many different medications for anxiety) and particularly struggle with health anxiety. When I went to the doctors and she said it was something (even something minor, though my brain is convinced otherwise) it sent me into panic because I think I was really hoping she'd be like nah it's nothing stop worrying just carry on as normal like it has been for other health concerns. I can't stop feeling it and thinking about it. Even though it was yesterday, including the days between when I first felt it and went to the doctors, I just cant be normal. I haven't eaten properly and I can't sleep with panic. Also I've had pain in my armpit on the right side (where the lump is) and convinced it's a sign because I googled it and its linked with breast cancer. I know I'm probably overreacting and googling things is never good but I just don't know how to deal with it and be a normal person when my mind has me convinced I'm gravely ill.

• Posted

At 18, it would be very unlikely to be anything as horrible as you're thinking. Doctors will know the tell tale signs of worrying lumps, so by feeling it or having you describing it, she'd be able to tell whether it was following the typical feel of a more worrying lump. She'll be telling you to come back if it gets any worse just as a safe guard, and also because even things like cysts can be pretty troublesome if they're causing pain.

That being said, if you're really worried still, go and get a second opinion. Ask to see a different doctor, and if you're still not certain with what they've said, ask to be sent for a mammogram. If you're worried then it's always best to check for your own piece of mind.

Best of luck!

• Posted

I know I'm probably overreacting but I'm a very anxious person! I just can't stop the panic and that voice in my head telling me I'm really ill. Also I keep googling things which makes me more scared (I know you shouldn't google symptoms, but I just can't seem to stop myself). I just feel like I can't be normal and I'm gonna be panicked all the time which I have been all week, not able to sleep or eat properly. I almost wish I hadn't gone to the doctors and worry if I do again and it doesn't go away like the doctor thinks it will, it'll turn out to be something bad. I just can't stop this internal monologue of worry.

• Posted

If you're struggling to get on with daily activities because you're so worried, the best thing to do is get back to the GP as soon as possible and ask them to send you for a mammogram or ultrasound. It is very unlikely to be anything harmful, but if you're still worried it's always best to check.

• Posted

Was the term she used "fibrocystic" breast? I had that at 19 and again now (currently going through perimenopause. So it's completely hormone related. Relax dear, if it was something to be overly concerned about, she would certainly let you know smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.