18 days after cataract surgery and all vision in my left eye is still blurry

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had the following procedure on my right eye on 28 November 2023 and on 06 December 2023 on my left eye: Cataract Sx with iStent, LENSX w/TORIC LENS, iStent. It worked for my right eye, but not my left; I’ve been told that this eye has “dry eye” and that may be preventing the lens from working to correct my astigmatism. The doctor who examined me and diagnosed this is an optometrist and not the ophthalmologist who performed my surgery, although they work in the same clinic. The optometrist told me to use “preservative free single use saline drops” a minimum of six times a day, but said that I can also use them more often; I’ve been putting the drops in my left eye every two hours. My follow up appointment isn’t for three more weeks. All vision in my left eye is blurry, by all, I mean close-up and distance. It’s hard to imagine that a dry eye could cause this. This optometrist also told me because I had Lasix surgery 20 years ago. the calculations for correcting astigmatism would be more difficult for the ophthalmologist. Since that doctor did the correct calculations for my right eye, it’s hard to believe that he would get them wrong for the left. Has anyone else had an issue like this after getting laser assisted cataract surgery with a Toric lens?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I agree that it would seem to be more than just dry eye. Are you still taking the post surgery steroid drops? Do you have any signs of infection? Since it appears you have glaucoma has the eye pressure been checked to see if the iStent is working?

I think I would ask to see the surgeon immediately, and not wait until the next scheduled appointment. Another possibility is that the toric lens has rotated out of position. The sooner they fix that the better.

• Posted

What is the nature of the blur? Is it just a soft focus or are you seeing distortions or ziggy lines that should be straight? I had that and it turned out to be CME. It doesn't sound like that to be honest (especially if you are still on the steroids) but i mention it because it's something that is often missed. It's (unfortunately) more likely that the power is off or the axis or rotation for the astigmatism.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.