18 days on Mirtazapine and can’t cope with the irrational anger

Posted , 2 users are following.

Started taking 15mg of Mirtzipine 18 days ago.

I had been on 40mg of Citalopram for 4.5 years which worked well for a while, but this year my depression was back with a vengeance, and I was also struggling with the sexual issues it caused.

Switched to 20mg Escitalopram for three months but that was even worse, so switched to Mirt.

After two weeks of awful heavy SSRI withdrawals the Mirt has taken an effect and i feel slight relief from the depression - I feel slightly more motivated and productive - but my irritability is through the roof.

I am losing my temper at the slightest tiny thing and have bad misophonia - noises outside of my control are driving me absolutely crazy.

It's been so bad I've had to take a week off work as I was having constant meltdowns, and my partner is going to her mum's for the weekend to get away as I've been unbearable to live with. We live in a tiny 1 bed flat and cant get away from each other and everything she does annoys me. I am aware that its completely irrational but can't stop it. I cant be around anyone at all.

What can I do? Will it get better? I have a GP appointment booked but it's a full week away and I'm losing my mind.

Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Luke. I joined this site only to respond to the two posts I found from you and another going off of Mirtazapin/Remeron because it helped me so much to know that I wasn't alone.

I was on it for a month, maybe less, when I went on a vacation with my mom and her friend. I pretty much ruined the vacation with my irritability and hostility.

I've been off of it for just under 4 weeks, and it was very challenging. At 21 days, I felt completely back to my self.

I am so sorry that you have also experienced this. I hope that your GP has helped. Thank you for sharing your experience.

• Posted

hi abby , it seems definite mitazipine causes irritability and mood swings . I'm glad you're feeling better off it .

have you been given something else to try as my husband has already tried setraline and citalopram as well as the mitazipine. just wondering what else his gp could give him .

• Posted

hi luke my husband has exactly the same symptoms and issues being on mitazipine 15mg which he started 4 weeks ago .

he is also very quick tempered, everything seems to annoy him especially me which is making our marriage very difficult. sometimes he's having temper tantrums , slammi g doors and he's alot worse if he's out of his routine as he had to give up work due to stress and anxiety which was worse in the workplace.

he also has difficulty sleeping and ocd .

but yeah the anger is really bad , I toolike feeling likecwalking away but I know it's just his illness.

please don't blame yourself luke I feel fro. havi g knowledge of mental heslth , being bipolar for 32 years i know it can take time to get thevright medication. i feel that you would benefit from some cbt therapy and anxiety management courses whivh has helped me alot over the years .

a d talk to your wife and friends how you feel annd gp . maybe keep a mood diary of what yourvtriggers are . I've found that helpful in the past aswell.

unfortunatelyy husband won't talk he justbshuts mr out which i know if he got some counselling itbwould help , but not everyone wants it .

i.hope thatbthis hasvhelped to know that's its not just you it is i feel the medication .

sorry if my message is long winded .

hope you're feeling better soon .

also i hope i don't vome across as patronising as someone once said to me in group therapy when i was trying to help them out . it's justbthat I'm also did my nursing training so have seen.it and experienced mental health issues from all sorts of angels as some of my close family members also have mental health issues.

but i don't think.my bipolar is genetic as my drink.wasxspiked by crack cocaine which triggered something .

also psychiatric team thinks it's hormonal and im just wondering if you've had blood tests 🤔 as men can have hormonal balances aswell. and go through male menopause but not you might be too young forbthat .

as you can probably tell I've not slept much hence the blabbering on .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.