18 days on sertraline and feeling worse than ever!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have been taking 50mg of sertraline for 18 days, the first few we're rough with the runs, insomnia, heightened anxiety, I started feeling a bit better after 6 days but now seem to be feeling worse, I have a constant knot in my stomach and just feel so down, I cried yesterday all day, I find mornings are the worst feeling dread and so down, I find it so hard to motivate myself. I'm even shying away from the things I enjoy, I am scared to be alone or even drive, I'm usually so independent, I feel like I'm in a big black hole, my family don't know what to do with me and to be honest I just feel in termoil, has anyone else had any similar experiences? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

How were u feeling b4 u started to take meds? R u taking it for anxiety or depression
    • Posted

Hi it was mainly anxiety but I'd say I feel more depressed since taking the pills 
    • Posted

Sometimes a combination of SSRI and other med like welbutrin work well together. Hope u find relief sion. I have been on 50 mg sertraline for 21 days and am still struggling with generalized anxiety and waking up in morning with fight or flight anxiety. This is exhausting. I hope u and i both find relief soon!
    • Posted

Thanks for reply, it really seems that a lot of people struggle with this drug at first doesn't it! I'm almost on the verge of giving up after not having any sleep last night and having a real bad day! Hat is the other drug you mentioned? Yes hope we both find relief very soon Christine smile 
    • Posted

There is a whole "family" of SSRI drugs. So, if sertraline doesn't work there are other options. The Welbutrin is prescribed for depression, not anxiety. Some Dr. will prescribe antidepressants w/ antianxiety med, depending on patient. I have had a 2 bad days but that was after 3 fairly decent days. I guess it is a wait and see game! I will repost my progress. Thanx to everyone for the honest and open discussion. It is good to know we are not alone in our struggles. 
  • Posted

Hi,i've been on sert for 7 wks now.It has been ups + downs-i even went back to work for a wk in wk 6,wk 7 has been rough +questioned whether sert was for me (anx came back) .The past 3 days have been pretty gd.Many folk talk about 8 wks being the optimal  time for sert to work -i think (+ hope) they are right.
    • Posted

Hi I hope your week 8 does the job for you, unfortunately I had to quit taking them as the side effects are just to much to bear, I feel terrible today but have been back to the doctors today and am going to start paroxatine tomorrow as I was on this before and it worked for me, I feel so anxious today and felt like I'm going mad! I work myself up so much x
    • Posted

Hi sugarloaf I've been on sert for 6.5 weeks now.  Its been a rough enough ride. I also returned to work this week  .  Had a few good days/ hours then feel a bit rough again.  My appetite has definitely improved and anxiety decreased.  Sleep improved somewhat but erratic at times. Just hoping it all levels out too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.