18 months bowel problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

For 18 months I have had various symptoms - trapped bowel wind, wind, pain usually caused by wind just about anywhere, occasional tenesmus, changes from fast motility to slow e.g I can urgently need a bowel movement (large) after my first cup of coffee on a morning, or when slow will sometimes be constipated or not have a b.m for hours and then just a small one. Some days I am symptom free. I don't have bleeding or diarrhea. I kept a food diary but without any conclusion as I can eat the same things from week to week with different outcomes

I've seen my g.p and had 2 fit tests, full blood counts, test for coeliac disease, abdominal ultrasound, calprotectin test and 4 years ago gastroscopy as I suffer from acid stomach. Last week I had a sigmoidoscopy, I had to stop it half way through because I was in so much pain from the air they were pumping into me. My bowel cannot cope with excess air/gas. Was offered colonoscopy but would find prep for that really difficult both because of acid stomach problems, fasting and the laxatives and because of the diet leading up to it - I am vegetarian and most of my diet would be banned i.e wholemeal, veg, fruit etc. After having the sigmoidoscopy I don't think I could handle a colonoscopy!

Has anyone had similar symptoms? I feel I'm left to work this one out on my own.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hi Angie,

Are you around perimenopause age? I am and I have a lot of symptoms similar to yours and have read it can be hormonal

• Edited

Hi Sasical,

Thanks for replying. I should have said that I'm 63 and past the menopause.

I was being treated for IBS and have tried peppermint oil caps, Mebeverine and Buscopan, none helped. The only thing that does help sometimes is simeticone which I take as Windeze caps. If you have similar symptoms to mine they're worth trying.

• Posted

hi angie, veggie and tummy problems? i am veggie, coeliac and have allergies too! For the trapped air try ginger when you cook then gaviscon advanced to form bubbles and put water in your bowel. try it twice a day and the wind should hopefully ease. try no cabbage, cauli or broccoli, greens, kale or sprouts or raw onions for a while.... drip feed them slowly in to your diet after a while.... good luck failing that or just fart, lol!!!!

• Posted

Thanks for the tips Sam. I already use gaviscon for acid stomach which I find helpful but it does nothing for trapped wind. I cut out the obvious 'windy' foods like beans, sprouts etc months ago.

I haven't tried ginger so will give that a try if it doesn't set off my stomach acid!

Oh how I wish I could fart sometimes 😄 it's the trapped wind that causes the pain!!

• Posted

hi angie, it sounds like you're doing all you can. the ginger dampens down any nausea and the acid strangely enough, i use it because i have gastritis, anything is worth a go! have you tried talking to the chemist about trapped air as i know how you feel it really hurts. i"ve stopped asking my doctor's, they'll probably be of more use!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.