18+ weeks post TKR, surgeons letter has floored me!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Yesterday I received my copy of the letter the consultant surgeon has sent to my GP, re last Wednesdays return. I have fluid which he may "aspirate" depending on the ultrasound due within the next 10 days, I have wasting of the quadriceps muscle (due to large haematoma), I limp, the "alignment of the knee is satisfactory" - huh! I want it to be perfect - not satisfactory(!), but the worrying part of the long letter is that, & I quote -  "I have explained the recovery period varies, & in some people the discomfort & pain may even take 12-18 months to fully settle". Oh Lordy - I cannot stand this for THAT long! Does anyone on here have problems for as long as that?

3 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You can be assured of the fact that everyone has a different healing time, and it really does not really matter what we want, our bodies will heal when they are ready to do so..
  • Posted

I agree with all your kind replies and it's true,everyone has their own experience and healing times. However,I'm one of the not so lucky ones! I had left TKR in Dec '13 and although I was very pleased to begin with,by 3mnths progress stopped. The surgeon told me to swim....I can't bend the knee enough to get in or out of a pool. I have eventually pushed for a second opinion and am facing revision surgery because the new joint is too large and has also worked loose!
    • Posted

That's horrible news. . I've read that the it's very important for the joint not to be too big. . . and I'm sure your'e feeling angry that what seems like an error was made, and is going to cause you all this added aggravation and pain. I hope they can sort it out for you with the minimum pain. :-(
    • Posted

That is so awful for you. What is scary is that my progress stopped at 12 weeks too - it feels like I have a "cap" on the knee, restricting my movement - I didn't limp, now at 18 weeks, I do - the surgeon has said this is the fluid (I have 3 small fleshy lumps which have appeared over the last 6 weeks). My new knee clunks & he actually mentions the "clunk" in the letter to the G.P.  So wish I'd prepared myself. Thought it would be a walk in the park!
    • Posted

It's the moment when progress stops and you actually feel things going backwards that are scary!  I hope this soon clears up for you . . perhaps if they aspirate the fluid you'll start going forward again . . all the best
  • Posted

They have to give us the worst case scenario and these things can take a long time for some people. 'Fully settle' is the key phrase - so it will ease month by month but could still give some problems after a period of time, wont disappear but wont, I suspect be a case of being the same level of pain and discomfort that you have now. Onwards and upwards - take each week as it comes. I have kept a little diary each week recording my progress and it has really helped me see that things are getting better even though sometimes it gets me down - we all want to be back to normal 'now' and that just wont happen with major surgery. Keep the pain under control and the swelling that seems to be the key to lowering discomfort as well as keeping mobile with aids if needed.You are not alone.

• Posted

Hi Veronica, like everyone else has said, it supposedly takes a year to feel " normal". That is what my surgeon told me too.

I would feel exactly like you though, after reading that letter 😔 feeling very discouraged. Like you, "alignment being satisfactory" would be most disturbing to me, as that was one of the reasons for the TKR in the first place, so I'd want perfection as well!

I'd want to know if alignment will improve after a year to 18 months? Are you to continue the exercises they gave you?

My surgeon said I did not need to come back until a year after the surgery, so I'm curious as to how I'm "recovering" .

Well don't let yourself get to discouraged Veronica ( easy to say, I know) do the best you can with your exercises and in time it will start to heal. We are all in this together and feel your frustrations, believe me!

Betty - just past 7 months

• Posted

Thank you Betty - yes, I'm excercising, although this "restriction band" feeling is stopping me doing as much as I'd like. I restart hospital Physio on Wednesday (ordered by the consultant). I'd started to walk one of our two dogs with my husband - they are large, strong dalmatians, & I have been walking the one that pulls the most, as the physio had said it would be good for my leg muscles, but now I'm not so sure! Hopefully these lumps (very soft, but painful) can be aspirated, I would even put up with any pain that involves now, just so I can feel more like myself. I have just fallen asleep, in the middle of the afternoon - which is so unlike me, but that is how I am at the moment, so not myself. I wish I had had the sense to find this forum before the operation, then I would have been prepared mentally, instead of the wreck it has turned me in to!
    • Posted

I'm not so sure!  If I had found the forum before the operation, I think I may have chickened out!

• Posted

Hi martina and Veronica. I found this web site before op. Did all excercises watched the operation on u tube thought I had done everything I could think of, knew op was going to be hard But 11 days post the full shock has still hit me so not sure if knowledge is a good thing or not, but as everyone says relax take all meds do as you are told and then PRAY for it to be over. LOL keep your chins up and take care x
    • Posted

Yes, it's no fun is it!  But you can be happy that you are already almost over the worst part. . after three weeks it REALLY does get better, by a month, you'll begin to feel yourself again . . . There will almost certainly be ups and downs, but  by six weeks I'll bet you go to your six week consultation walking fairly securely, bending to 90 at least. . and if you aren't , then it isn't a disaster. . you just keep at it for a little bit longer and it will come!  I think nearly all of us said 'I wish I hadn't had it done' at some stage!!!
  • Posted

Hi again - have been following all your discussions and like Martin, don't know whether i'd have gone ahead had i known all the pros and cons, not least the recovery time....BUT...for me really there's no choice if i want to make a bid to regain mobility and normal activities ...so here's hoping, for all of us, big time! 
    • Posted

It will be 6 weeks post op tomorrow and see surgeon tomorrow.

I just walked down to the corner store and back (1 mile).  There is SO much less pain while walking, even this early. Prior to surgery I would be hobbling and gritting my teeth afte arout 50ft.  For me this is really a blessing.  Sometimes the nights are hell with pain and no sleep but after the walk today, I'm am almost giddy.   Hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.