18 year old with mild bronchiectasis.

Posted , 7 users are following.

After a blood test, spirometry( both were good) and a CT scan, my pulmonologist said i have very mild bronchiectasis and it's nothing to worry about. He gave me medication to boost my immune system because i have a bad immune system. I am an outgoing young person that loves sport and i want to go professional in a sport, can i do it with this condition? Will my life span be shorter than average? I am pretty scared at the moment because i'm afraid i won't be able to lead an active and outgoing life from now on...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi

i would listen to your pulmonologist.

it is so important to get your immune system up to snuff. then the next thing is to keep your lungs clear. ask about how to get mucus out of your lungs daily. nebulizing saline etc. it helps bring up mucus that if

left in your bronchiestasis can become infected and make u sick.

its important to have a good healthy diet and to continue being physically active..

dont worry just do what uou need to do and your life can be anything you want.

• Edited

I have had Bronchiectasis for many years and i find that exercise is one of the best things to keep my lungs as clear as possible, along with the medication prescribed for me. I am limited to what I can do now but I'm in my 70th year so its to be expected as my lungs were damaged at 6 months old. I've had children and held full time jobs. I do Aquafit and go to the gym 3 times a week and still take fairly long walks, although I do get a bit out of breath going uphill! Live your life to the full, follow medical advice and enjoy your sport.

• Posted

Hi there

I have had brochiectasis all my life. I am now 51. I have always kept active and up until recently was running 5 miles a day 3 to 4 times a week. I'm now power walking due to my knees being sore when I run. You can live a long well life as long as you manage your condition. I would recommend turmeric and black pepper capsules these are great for inflammation and infection. Also manuka honey has many great properties. I'm sure many people on this forum will also give you good advice. main thing is exercise and keep your chest clear of mucus. I have an acapella which is great for getting the mucus off your lungs.

All the best

Rachel

• Edited

Don't despair! I've had BX all my life. I had surgery to remove half my left lung aged 18 and have had some residual BX in my right lung ever since. Yes, I get wheezy and I always have a productive cough, but if I watch what I eat and drink (some foods seem to make it worse, and red wine is a disaster) I can lead a very normal life. Yes, I get chest infections, especially in the winter, but I'm onto them straight away and my doctor trusts me to spot them and will normally prescribe over the phone in order to nip them in the bud.

I've always tried to stay as active as possible. I even qualified as a scuba diver in my 20s (I had to have a medical first) and I walk, swim and cycle regularly. I'm married with two grown up children and was never unable to join in with their typically active lives when they were growing up.

When I was 60 I took on the 'Couch to 5K ' challenge and I now run 5k three times every week, including the local Parkrun every Saturday morning. OK, I am not the fastest runner on the circuit, but I do it and I'm very proud of my achievement.

My attitude has always been to live life as normally as possible and I've managed to do that thus far. Your mental approach to this thing will be just as important as your physical approach.

So look after yourself, set yourself challenges and don't let the bugger get you down. I"m 62 now and still looking forward to a very full and active life.

• Posted

Hi, I'd forgotten about that. i was offered the operation but I had a baby and toddler at the time with no one close to care for them and my husband couldn't get enough time off work for my recovery so I declined. As a matter of interest do you feel the operation has been beneficial to you over the years? it was never offered again and I believe they don't offer it now where I live, or it may be that now they are very reluctant to give me a general or because of my age!

• Posted

Hi Susan. Yes. It has been hugely helpful. Although there is residual BX in my right lung still, the left lung (which they operated on) has been pretty clear for over 40 years now. It hasn't stopped me doing anything. I would highly recommend it if it's on offer.

• Posted

Thank you for that. I'll mention it next month when I have my regular checkup and see what they say. I've a feeling I've left it too late as i have been told they would only give me a general if I needed a life saving operation. My lungs were damaged when I was 6 months old through Mercury Poisoning causing Pink Disease so I've lived along time with it.

• Edited

Hi im also 18 i have been experiencing breathlessness coughing producing sputum and other symptoms for about 2 yrs now i have had 4 lung infections including Non tuberculosis mycobacteria, i have just recently been diagnosed a few months ago with bronchiectasis, i have quite severe bronchiectasis i cough up mucus 91 times a day and its really thick and dark, i struggle daily to cough it up, i am very breathless, fatigued and get really down about it alot, im still trying to learn to live with this as it affects me alot, im getting worse but im currently trying a 4 week course of tablets to make it easier to cough up the mucus, im currently on 20 tablets a day as i have many more health conditions, i hope that you improve and you are able to do your sports, just try to rememeber your not alone, i hope it doesnt affect you as bad as me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.