19 cm ovarian cysts - either benign or borderline malignant????

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all-

a few weeks ago i noticed a bump in my lower abdomen. in both october & november, i had double periods. with these few things coupled together, i called my doctor right away. i was able to get in to see her the next day (christmas eve) and she said it was either another cyst or a fibroid). i had a decent size cyst 11 or 12 cm removed in 2011 that had been watched for 10 years or so. it was benign. the surgeon seemed confident of this from the beginning and didn't feel necessary to take my ovary (which she didn't). they never recommended any follow up. after that, i only went to my annual check ups, the last one being this past may.

after my doctors appointment on 12/24, she send me for an ultrasound 2 days later. they muttered but didn't say much (they never do, at least in the US). they did say of course i would have a bump and feel the need to urinate a bit more frequently due to its size…19cm! they seemed relatively calm and i said i'm happy to have it removed asap and the only thing i was concerned with is that it wasn't cancerous. the ultrasound technician said, it's too big to be cancer. then the lead dr came in to review and he also muttered a lot and looked at it 9 million different ways…he said he thought it could be benign and maybe possibly borderline malignant, but didn't really use those words again. i left feeling a sense of urgency to have it removed due to its size and the fact that it popped up out of nowhere, but not afraid for my life.

when my doctor called me 2 hrs later to review the findings, she just would say it's either benign or borderline malignant so i'm sending you to a gynocologic oncologist. at these words, i just about fainted. i went into total shock and am still there. i have no symptoms aside from a bump on my lower abdomen that i noticed maybe 2 weeks ago and feeling like something was pushing on my bladder.

is this precautionary???? I'm 37 yrs old, no history of cancer in the family, healthy, no other medical issues. i know nothing can be confirmed until the surgery which they say will be booked asap, but i am absolutely a wreck. any words of wisdom or anything to help calm me is very much appreciated.

thanks so much!!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dear,

I'm so sorry this happening to you!

I would say, don't worry, until you don't know the result!!!

Especially you are 37, and most of the cysts are in this young age are harmless!

The good thing is, they don't waste time, and you having your surgery soon!

Doctors ( I'm a nurse ) allways do more , if they see a little possibility of bad things,because they have to stay in the safe side too! I'm not sure you know what I mean: I'm a dermatology nurse, and we removing thousands of moles , because they MAYBE cancerous, but 99% of the results are coming back normal!

But they removing quickly just in case!

Try to be positive and good luck !

• Posted

Hi

I'm sorry that you've had such a scare, and just want to add my best wishes to you. As Ella says above, from things I've read most cysts in people of your age are benign so do your best to hold onto the positives. I know that you will find that difficult though - I was in a similar situation (although I'm in my 50s) and when the radiologist told me I needed to see a gynae oncologist because he'd found a growth on my right ovary I nearly fainted....and then went into panic mode. Once you've seen the gynaecologist you will be reassured so I hope you get to see her/ him very soon.

Luckily mine was a dermoid cyst, which was removed 3 weeks ago - I don't have the final results yet from the biopsy, but my gynae oncologist said he was almost sure everything was okay. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.

• Posted

Hi I have written here a few times since having my dermoid tumor removed ,just wanted say your be fine,i had to have both ovaries removed ,incase the thing grew again.if u read back ur see my notes,i am fine,also I have since had a kidney op and doing fantastic,honest sweetheart your be fine.....just hurry them up don't sit back and suffer,my 10inch scar is faded hadly shows now,happy new year and get well,all will be fine tc mags xx
  • Posted

Also nlkpd there is cancer in my family,but it wasn't cancer please chill all will be good for you ,let me know how your doing mags xx
  • Posted

thanks everyone for their prayers and concern. i've had my surgery and am 1 week post op. it ended up being a borderline malignant tumor, but not cancerous. they took out my ovary, fallopian tube, lymph node, ovum and appendix as a precaution. i think i'm still in shock and upset but am trying to look at the positive. i wish it could have simply been benign, but am grateful it's not cancer.

thank you again for your consideration and words….

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.