19 months tkr dr doesn't know what's why my knee is painful

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 10 months pkr. Because my knee was collapsing in causing me pain upon walking or standing I took Physical Therapy one month to strengthen ligaments and tendons. My knee is somewhat better but still collapsing from time to time and causing sudden severe pain while walking or just working around the kitchen. It seems the pain happens when the knee gets twisted slightly in anyway. After sleeping with my legs curled up trying to straighten the leg out is extremely painful. My doctor, after examining the knee, does not know why this is happening. So he is sending me to another doctor for a second opinion. I'm just wanting to know if anyone out there has had similar experience. I am thankful for this blog that has gotten me through so far.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

oops! Not 19 months 10 months
  • Posted

Hi, Nancy,

I'm 18 monthes out of L-PKR. My right went bad within 4-5 monthes after, though not really surprised. Had R-TKR this passed February. It is doing fine. Seems right on schedule. But the left is doing similar to yours. Sometimes the knee cap catches and " burns". If I put a side load on it at all -yowza!!!! Locks up like yours at night being bent for a length of time but just, literally, push through that. My surgeon said to give it a few monthes and see if it settles down. Then he would reevaluate. Haven't called yet as some days seems ok but then others -it's worse then the recent total. Very frustrating. But from the number of those in our group here, revisions are not uncommon. So I wouldn't be surprised if that's in the future. Even during physio my R-TKR  was picking up the slack for the ragged lefty. redface

• Posted

Hi Nancy, Is the pain down the front of your shin bone into the top of your foot.?

Mine is when it is knocked sideways, and if I lie on my side with that knee underneath, I can hardly move it in the morning for the pain.

My other knee is stiff after sitting down or lying down for any length of time, but not as painful.

I had the right TKR around three years ago, and the left -the painful one- done last August, around ten moths ago.

I don't want revision surgery, but the pain can be off the scale when it's bad.

• Posted

Hi ladies

I totally relate to ur legs licking after sleeping curled up. I had 4tkr in oct and have yhese probs. I sleep with leg brace on at night

• Posted

Here is an update on my knee. I went to another doctor, on request of my regular knee Doctor to get a second option. He confirmed that my knee is unstable. It is not  very bad so He suggested surgery to take out the plastic middle and replace it with a thicker one so as to tighten the ligaments. But I was to be prepare , if th doctors didn't like the way it moved , they would do a complete knee revision.  Now I know what is wrong I feel better but not looking forward to having to go through this all over again. I am praying this will fix it and recovery will be easier. I can always hope, right?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.