19, Unsure

Posted , 2 users are following.

My Doctors have referred me for a Cystoscopy in June due to microscopic haematurria I think it's called which is basically blood in the urine, I'm a bit confused as I've not really been told anything. Like I don't exactly know what to expect, what they're actually looking for, I haven't been told what is most likely the cause, or whether to expect anaesthesia or not. I also had tests for infection when I first had my complaints, but I never actually received any results back so I assume it's a negative test although it would have been nice to know. From blood samples and urine samples Doctors have found no infections but another thing is they never really explained what they were looking for in the tests. I feel a little clueless about the whole situation as I don't really understand what's going on. I'm also wondering if they would let me have a female Doctor as I don't particularly feel comfortable with it being a male, I know it's natural and all that but I'm only 19, flashing Doctors comfortably isn't really something I'm used to or prepared for. I think I may panic if it is a male Doctor as I really don't feel comfortable doing that.

Sorry it's such a long post but basically I just want some knowledge on what to expect, can I have a female Doctor and what exactly are they looking for in Cystoscopies?

Thank-you in advance for the help (if I get any smile )

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Argh I have this in two days time, pretty much the exact same scenario.. I'm only 18 and panicking a little bit,... How did yours go? Was it as embarassing as it sounds?? smile
  • Posted

it wasn't as bad as I was expecting luckily smile! waiting for it was nerve wracking though as I didn't know what to expect it's uncomfortable for a short amount if time afterwards but during there's no pain or anything you can even watch what the doctors are doing on a screen which I thought was quite cool smile

still undiagnosed though so just don't get your hopes up on a definite diagnosis as you may get one but you might not smile

also the hospital were nice enough to give me a female doctor doing the procedure smile and the other two staff that had to be in there were also female so hopefully you'll get the same treatment smile

• Posted

Oh phew! Yeah I heard you could do that, sounds kinda cool haha.. Its the prep I'm most sort of nervous about but hopefully I'll be as positive afterwards as you!

Ohh did you ask for females or just get lucky?!

Thank for replying so quick!! Hope you're diagnosed soon - don't worry I'm used to waiting for diagnosis', it's going on 3 years for most of my issues, gotta love being healthy with the NHS :p

Thanks anyway smile

• Posted

just got lucky smile!

yeah fingers crossed I'm going on four years now began in December 2008

don't worry about the prep they basically put jelly down there that makes you completely numb and that's that's smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.