19 Year old male and starting on citalopram 10mg, worried about side effects

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have been suffering with abit of depression lately mostly stemming from the fact that i have become completely useless at communicating with people. My mind always feels clouded with racing thoughts and i can never figure out what to say. This has given me very low self-esteem and has left me quite paranoid in believing that no one would want to talk to me because i'm unattractive, weird and can barely hold a conversation. However, i am not feeling like this all the time, it comes in waves leaving me with somedays i will be fine with no problems what so ever in communicating but most i will feel dull and irresponsive in most forms of talking. Anyway, is it worth taking this if i think i might be able to manage without it and hope for the best? I saw so signs of improvement after years of awkwardness that's why i decided give them a go. I really fear losing my sexual desire and the other side effects that come with them

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

10mg is a low dose and in my experience, if you stick with it, the side effects will go and it will help take the edge off the anxiety. Remember you don't have to take if forever. Think of it as a support you need for the next 6 months or so, just while you get things on track. Then talk to your doctor about coming off them gradually. Don't over worry about relationships. Most important thing to do is to keep talking to people of your own age, even just a quick hi or a chat. This will grow into a friendship and maybe more. Give it time and take things slowly. Your confidence will grow, just be kind to yourself by taking small steps and congratulating yourself when you make something good happen.
  • Posted

how long have you been taking the citalopram? from experience you really need to give it about 6 weeks or so to take effect. and it doesn't happen suddenly, just a gradual realisation that things are less 'bleak' than they were. or that you seem to be able to do a few more things than before. presumably you are taking the citalopram with the support of your GP so go back after 6-8 weeks and discuss how you are coping and also whether you should stay on that dose or move to something higher. 

not everyone is affected by the same side effects in the same way or to the same degree, so see how you are affected and if it is too bad then you could discuss this with your GP who might have some other suggestions eg changing meds etc. but give the tablets a chance to work first!

it is not easy being so patient, but please try.

good luck

• Posted

My dear chap,

You are a teenager, all teenagers are useless at communicating with real people! Everyone knows they just grunt and lounge around in bed! Has noone told you this is perfectly normal? Learn a few jokes, make 'em laugh.

Line up 100 boys of 19 and allow 100 girls of similar age to choose their favourite,

about 5% will go for the quiet one with your looks who doesn't come on to them and is a little bit weird. Don't knock it son you are unique! Don't take medicatiuon to overcome natural behaviour. I have never heard of a teenager losing his sexual desire!! Far from it. I haven't lost it and I have been on Citalopram for 8 years and my age is Mumbly seven! Lighten up lad and learn a musical instrument. Let it all hang out and wait for people to come to you, you don't have to make all the running, I promise. I felt like you years back but we didn't do medications in those days. It all passes with time, age and experience. Medication isn't necessarily the answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.