19 Years Old - Constant Gurgling and Bloating

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys - this all started July 2017 (bout 9 months ago) when I headed for a trip to the UK and Amsterdam for a short holiday. Since coming back, my stomach has been non-stop gurgling and bubbling, I've felt bloated and have been extremely gassy. The bubbling noises are really intense - it sounds like there's something boiling in there. On top of that, bowel movements never feel complete and are very irregular - can happen multiple times a night.

I've had a urine test, blood test, urea breath test and SIBO hydrogen/methane breath tests and it's all come out negative. The results indicate that I'm as healthy as can be but my symptoms tell a completely different story. My doctor was quick to label it as IBS and I've since been told to use Colofac (mebeverine hydrochloride) and Iberogast to limited effectiveness. It all just came on very suddenly and I had no prior symptoms to this. Do I need to get anything retested? Could it be a false negative?

Any advice is appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ive been having the exact same symptoms for almost a month now! This started happening out of nowhere just like yourself. My stool samples came back negative for H.Pylori (Ive still been taking DGL and Mastic Gum just in case but no luck). Im clueless as to what to do, eat, etc. Im also getting an ultrasound done this Thursday on my abdomen to see if anything is abnormal but I assume the test wont show anything and the docs will say I'm fine. I feel like this is all radiating (very dull ache, gas production, bloating, etc.) from my upper abdomen region. I hope someone can chime in on what they have done to correct this. Additionally, being that my doc said I MIGHT have gastritis, I also researched other possibilities:

-Gastritis

-Peptic Ulcers

-GERD (acid reflux)

-Gallstones

-Celiac Disease

-Crohns Disease

-Ulcerative colitis

-Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

-Diverticulitis

-Pancreatitis

If I find anything that helps, I'll be sure to report back here. 

• Posted

Yes you need to be persistent this is you health at stake. Any nausea or vomiting . fevers ,backaches, not feeling well. In general.

• Posted

Mebeverine didn't work for me either; it made me worse.  A lot of people can't tolerate it.  IBS can come on very suddenly.  I have IBS and one day I was fine and the next day I woke up with raging stomach pain, back pain, nausea and bowel habit change.  It took three and a half months of tests, panic and various doctors to diagnose IBS.  One doctor wanted to do all my tests again, but the last doctor I saw said this was unnecessary because all my test were negative and my symptoms had not changed in three and a half months and I hsd no new symptoms.  He diagnosed my IBS on the basis of my stress levels.

There are many other antispasmodics on the market such as Buscopan.  You may have to try several. Did you have a colonoscopy, an ultrasound or endoscopy? Were you tested for celiac?  Was the urea breath test for h pylori?  I would accept your negative tests results and ask for the other tests I have mentioned.  If all these other tests are negative as well IBS is diagnosed.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies guys. I have yet to try an endoscopy, colonoscopy or ultrasound but it's next on the list. As an update, I have taken Yakult twice a day and a Chinese herbal medicine called Huo Xiang Zheng Qi Wan from the big store in Sydney city. I am a LOT less bloaty (I don't know which one did the trick) and gurgly. Still not 100%, but really did make a difference for me.

I'll also need to do tests for fructose and lactose intolerances as those are pretty common for IBS patients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.