1992 readings

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just for the record it is amazing how time changes everything,   I am reading a book from 1992 written by a doctor,   at that time 160/95  was classed a perfectly fine blood pressure reading   so theres some food for thought....

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Gotta keep in mind, lots of pharmas influence standards and lots of good organizations do too.  So important to stay informed.
  • Posted

That sort of fits: when they diagnosed me in 2013 that was more or less exactly my reading at the time, 163/96. I had an NHS health check and I always suspected it was a grubby money making exercise for the practice rolleyes

A year later I was able to get my mednotes online and noticed that one of the very few BP readings on the notes was in 2000 where it was recorded at 162/93 - nobody had said, much less done, anything about that!  Yet by 2013 it was considered an issue and they couldn't put me on meds fast enough.  Not knowing much about the issue back then they managed to scare me enough to comply. Wanted to know family history etc etc and insisted it must be inherited.  They jumped to attention when I mentioned that my father had died when I was a baby -  but they fell rather flat when I said that actually there was a war on then and he had been killed! So no siblings for me yet they still tried to push the inherited genes factor. All the rest that could be included had lived to a good age including Mum who smoked until she could no  longer peel the band off the cigarettes and gave up on life!

• Posted

Jane that is very interesting indeed  

ummm   really makes you wonder does,nt it    I know one thing these

days you have to go with your own gut feelings....

• Posted

too true Helen! What is the book btw? would be interesting to see.
  • Posted

Fish Oil, I take it for arthiritis, 6000mg a day, a side effect, and they do warn you on the side of the bottle, CAN EFFECT BLOOD PRESSURE. and not upwards.

Apparently you should be working with your GP if you are taking Fish Oil at the levels I am taking it at, but not all GP's approve of Fish Oil to this day.

In my cse it was the first thing a rheumotogist said to me, do you know what fish oil is, you are to start taking it at 6 capsules a day.

Rheumo did mention, to me, see your dry skin, especailly on legs, I call it lizard skin, the fish oil will help, bonus and she gently touches my micro lines around my eyes, helps them too.

• Posted

I have read elsewhere that BP readings used to be considered normal at 160/90, so I wonder if doctors have found other health-related reasons why BP readings should be at 120/80?  or is it just about getting more BP drugs out there?

• Posted

Yes Suezan I think probably getting us on drugs!
    • Posted

The answer I have been given by several cardiologists is that we know a lot more about the dangers of hypertenstion than we did then and we have better drugs to control it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.