1st Anniversary of TKR!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi. A weird anniversay just now, one year on from my TKR. It has been quite a journey and having read recent posts on here I can say that the first six or seven months were plagued by tiredness and fatigue. I had poor flexion of only 65% to 70% for some time after the operation and underwent a manual manipulation too. However, in time the thing has slowly improved. I now have 90% flexion and of course arthritis pain disappeared from day one! The fatigue bit has gone now. I take co-codamol twice per day and occasional naproxen, but the latter is more to do with my other leg which will require a TKR in a few months' time! I'd just say that I don't regret the operation. I'll never have full movement and going down some flights of stairs can be difficult but this too is partly due to the pain in my other leg. I'd urge anyone feeling low to hang on in there. I was disappointed and downhearted after six months but it does get better! Good luck to all.

4 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Im glad to hear it wont give up hope yet then im 9 months still got stiffness but can bend ok stopped pain meds the other day and ive got no pain just my foot is always swollen see consultant in two weeks time keep going everyone
  • Posted

Congrats on your 1 year anniversary!! Mine was the 27th of April. At the time I thought I was going through hell. As the days wore on, things got better and better. Sleep was the one thing that eluded me for months. Couldn't sleep through the night, and was SO tired during the day. Now I can walk w/o pain, though I do get stiff if I sit too long...that subsides when I walk around a bit. Was it worth all the pain, depression, sleeplessness, and PT, probably. BUT it will be a cold day in H3ll before I get the other knee done...or pain so bad I just can't take it anymore. That's just me. We did make it, we survived,ย and found the light at the end of the tunnel.ย ย smile
  • Posted

Congratulations on your anniversary ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป I remember us both being on here in the early days with our lack of movement, compared to everyone else's success.

Mine turned one in Feb and although it's been nothing short of horrific, it still had to be done. I'm waiting for a revision and the removal of all my ligaments as my leg still doesn't bend or straighten and the pain is still there. It did lessen for some time but over the last few weeks it's got gradually worse. It's starting to feel like it did when I had arthritis, which is impossible as I've had all of this removed. I'm presuming it's just because my ligaments are so damaged but I haven't a clue.

Even with all of this I still wouldn't change having it done. Yes my journey is far from over and yes at times I've felt lower than I have ever done but I am hopeful that this surgery will be my last for a good few years. It's funny how used to going into hospital I have got and I'm desperate for the next one. It will be my fourth surgery in 18 months when it finally happens....my life is on hold still so I've still got the champagne on ice. Fingers crossed my next one is worth celebrating ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

All of our journeys are different and what's good/an improvement for some would be disappointing for others. 90 degrees would be heaven for me now so congratulations again on your achievements.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.