1st consultation tomorrow,what are the main question I should be asking ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all first consultation tomorrow, is there any question that you wished you ask but forgot or didn't ??

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi David, What are you going for a band or bypass or sleeve? Successe rates, recovery, after care? 
    • Posted

I had my first consultation for a band on 31st march. I found i got told all the info i needed without really having to ask much. Hopefully yours will go well too
    • Posted

It will be the band,as there's no way I can afford the sleeve, have you had it done?
    • Posted

Hi are you going ahead with it? I'm still on the fence , 50/50 wether to go for it , I've read so many bad stories , people saying it's the worst thing they ever done ,

But I shall see what they say tomorrow 👍

• Posted

Yes i am. But cant get it done till Aug because of work etc so have a surgery date of 18th. Ive found its mostly people who have had a bad experience who tell their story. There are a load of people out there who have done well with a band. I have been thinking of this for a few years so ive spoken to a lot of people who have had great success. Its still hard work and the first few weeks can be rough and knowing this im prepared and know whats coming. Ive lost 7 years in the past and put 5 back on! They said because i can loose weight my band will be a way of helping me maintain the loss. Let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

I got to 21st got down too 16.7 but that was about 2 years ago, I'm now 18st but finding it so hard to shift the weight now, I'll let you know tomorrow how I get on
  • Posted

I am getting the sleeve on NHS in June, had asked for a band but my surgeon recommend sleeve, I have to do 4 weeks on the milk diet first, & loose 5% of my body weight first, that was very hard.
  • Posted

Good luck for tomorrow. I've been waiting for mine for seven years:I kept meeting NHS criteria and then the goal posts would move again. So I guess my resolve has been tested! It's probably worth checking out your surgeon's statistics (no, not the vital ones!) I was fortunate to have one of the best surgeons in the country. Let us know how it goes.
  • Posted

Congratulations D. Could be a life changing op. My advice, based on the mistakes I've made in consultations is: Write down a list of questions (don't rely on memory). For example, what issues might you experience following the op.How long (roughly) could it take for it all to settle down. What sort of success can you reasonably expect. Who should you contact if you have issues arising from the op and later. Get contact phone numbers. If it is at all possible take someone with you to the consultation and share your questions with them beforehand.Ask your companion to take notes during the consultation and write them up later. You don't want to find yourself isolated after the op.
  • Posted

Hi all just got back , they told me everything I needed to know, very help full , still going to have a good long think 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.