1st day on 10mg cit and uncontrollable shaking

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started 10mg of Citalopram last night and woke up this morning's wedding, trembling terribly, with diarrhea and nausea including dry heaving. Did anyone else go through this and how long? I can't imagine doing this for two more weeks !

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi vlm0924.

I was prescibed 20 mg of cit by my doctor 3 months ago. The side effects were awful, I also had uncontrollable shaking,diarrhea and nausea.

The worst s/e in my opinion was the heightened anxiety which caused a racing heart, which concerned me the most. The more I worried about it the more it raced.Its a vicious circle. My partner called the doctor because at the time you wonder what on earth is going on here. And will it ever stop racing to the point you think you will end up having a heart attack.

And then the health anxiety kicks in..and the whole thought process begins again.

Racing heart.=heart attack..

Anyway back to phone call to doctor, well receptionist who promised a call back from doctor.

I had to wait 5 hours for that call back.

My racing heart just kept racing.i ran out of breath after all the breathing exercises I done in 5 hours.

Finally doc called and said 'nothing to worry about just a side effect from the cit...its very common in the first few days'

Well it lasted 2 weeks.the other side effects lasted 3/4 weeks.

In between that time I went back to my doctor as I had a major panic attack this particular morning. I managed to get emergency appointment as I was convinced I had throat cancer..good old health anxiety at its worst again.

I had to wait in surgery around 40 mins to be seen..in that time anxiety so bad I was rocking back and forth on the chair . anxiety is one mother ******.

The poor woman opposite me didn't know where to look.

Anyway got called to go in.i was a mess...sat down in chair, still rocking back and forth and now I had a massive rash all over my neck.The doctor said I had acute anxiety(I'd never of guessed) and he increased cit to 40mg.

I couldn't get it in my mouth quick enough.

He then looked at my throat or in it, as I was convinced I had throat cancer...another side effect of cit a sore throat!!!!

I have been on 40mg for 2.5 months.its been a life saver, it really has.I would stay on it forever..BUT.yes unfortunately there is a BUT.

I have put on weight..so a couple of days ago a reduced down to 20 mg. .Only side effects at the moment is extreme tiredness...

I am hoping to reduce again.i know it's going to be a long journey.bug I've got to try.

I can't be putting on more weight.

Thanks for listening.

I wish you all well.x

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I have a family trip in November that my in laws have paid for and I'm praying this will all be worked out by then.

I can't imagine feeling this bad for two weeks but I'm going to hang in there. I'm also on .25mg of Xanax three times a day for my anxiety which is ANOTHER thing worrying me bc eventually I will have to slowly ween off those . But even the Xanax is stopping my shaking and anxiety all that much .

Just hanging in there. Hard with three young kids but my husband has been so patient and understanding.

• Posted

Hi,

Wedding? should start to clear in a few days, then you'll see an increase in your mood over the next few weeks. It has a lot of horrific side effects but they shouldn't last long, especially at 10mg. If they do let your GP know.

Best wishes 

J

• Posted

apologies, your on this for anxiety, not mood, should again help within the three week mark

• Posted

Yes wedding was a typo. I was prescribed it for anxiety as well as depression. Now it's that anxiety it's kicking my butt!! I tried pack song and had terrible side effects as well and stopped after five days. I felt much better until my depression started coming back so now I'm determined to find a good medication that works and stick with it. My mom and my sister are both on Citalopram and happy with it. It's so odd though, they never had side effects. I think I have much more anxiety than they do and that's contributing to this .

Thank you for your reply !

• Posted

I tried Paxil I meant not pack song !?
    • Posted

Obviously anxiety can make the symptoms worse, and side effects are very much an individual thing, some people have almost none (pretty rare though) and some people just can't tolerate it. Try to stick with it though and hopefully it will help.

J

• Posted

Moving to 40mg of Citolopram was one of the best things I've done in years. Stick with it and you will come out the other side. Took a couple of weeks but my anxiety relapses are few and far between and mood is much improved and now motivation has returned. Good luck.

• Posted

It's normal side effects will last few weeks you will feel better after 4 to 6 weeks just stay strong. Drink water and camomile tea.

• Posted

Gonna be honest I started on 50 mg sertaline was diagnose depression anxiety mood etc, got change to cirtaloplan after 2 weeks due to side effects. In my honest opinion cirtaloplan has been lot worse and I'm on 10 mg dose.

Wiv sertaline I felt detached however cirtali pan allow me to feel everything mood swings anger etc. I do get good days so I cherish them. Plz bear with fings but honest recommendations cut ur nails as low as they can go coz irritable scratching is scary as fxxk and I am now littered with scratches n knife marks.

Plus don't use me as example

• Posted

Boy it sucked!! Mine lasted little over a week.... I'm in a awesome place right now thanks to cit!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.