1st Diverticulitis Attack

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I am new also, am 63 yo and just had my 1st attack, put on 2 antibiotics for 10 days, liquid diet for 3 days and then low residue until finishing antibiotics then told to slowly ease into my normal diet.I was told by my doctor that due to a big research study 2 years ago there are no diet restrictions such as seeds, nuts, etc any longer. I'm into day 15 and still not back to myself yet however I did return to work last week. I am so afraid of flare ups but the there is so much conflicting information that I am just going to go with eating in moderation without restrictions and see what happens. Keeping a log for a while might help pinpoint problem foods. I have never been a good water drinker but am going to be better now.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Linda, Im 59 and just had my first attack last Sunday. I was put On Flagy but after 5 days of taking it I had to stop it I could not handle the brain side affects . I am stil taking Bactrim have to be on it for 10 days. What two antibotics did you take and did good on and what was the mgs? My flagy was 500mgs the Bactrim does not say what mg's it is. I take the Flagy 3 x's a day but like I said I stopped it after 5 full days but still on Bactrim. Mine was diagnosed after a trip to ER with bloody discharge from bowels and horrid pain and temp white blood cell was a little over 11,000 they ran a CTScan w/dye and tons of blood work. How about you? Does your bottom stomach feel weid or uncomfortable when you walk around?  I want tea but on my er paper work its says no caffiene is that because of the medicine or the diverticulisis I was too sick at the time to even think to ask. I was diagnose Jan 23, 2017  :-(

• Posted

I also had my first attack likewise antibiotics for 7/10days much better than I was a week ago, strange how it effects one, 6 months ago I was biking 50km 3 times a week, last Week I could just about make it upstairs, palpitations low energy and a feeling of being very unwell!

I am interested in the symptoms that others encounter, my German Doctor who is great is very slow to administer antibiotics, which I suppose these days is wise! But it also can have negative results allowing the condition to worsen, however he did give them to me so I had them on standby should it get worse which it did!

So anyone with a range of symptoms, it would be good to hear your encounters.

By the way I am English ex Army living in Germany.

• Posted

Hello Linda... sorry about your problem. Maybe someone can help you on this forum. I have been trying to research diverticulitis and there just isnt a lot there. I do believe I had this longer than thought. I remember in my late 20's having a problem but I would not eat or eat little for a day or 2 and it would be ok. Diagnosed with IBS and sent away with nothing and just dealt with it for years.. getting worse with time. I feel it make link to an allergy to some foods and then it causes other things in system to not work properly. Please share any insights you may have.

• Posted

Hi Linda

I'm 66 and have had this disease for 15 years, with 4 flare ups over the years.  Reading your report it sounds as though you are doing everything just right, from the accumulated experiences of people on this forum.  It can take quite a long time for the symptoms to subside.  I used to reckon up to 4 weeks to get back to normal, but after my last flare, it was over 4 months before I was almost pain free. I still get daily niggles, mostly before the first BM.

There are things you can do to help yourself feel better and reduce the risk of further flares.  My GP prescribed psyllium husk which I take twice a day in 12oz water.  These husks bulk and soften stools and have a mild laxative effect.  They keep the bowels cleaned out and help prevent food getting trapped and causing another inflammation/infection.  (Brand name in UK Fybogel, USA Metamucil).  I also take pure aloe vera juice - a teaspoon morning and night.  This is a well known natural product used to fight infection, both internally and externally and helped reduce my pain within 5 days of starting it.  I also take a daily probiotic drink.

I upped my fluid intake by making well blended home made soup, so I get soluble easily digestible fibre which slips down.  I also make a vegetable puree of potato, carrot, swede and parsnip, to have with my dinner.  You will soon find out what suits you best. 

I am sceptical about these so called studies which say "no evidence ...."  One size does NOT fit all - it's trial and error and we are all different.  My triggers are gluten and full fat.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Linda please listen to Felinia especially when it comes to the psyllium husk product. It's the one item you should not live without when battling Diverticulitis. The formula is real simple twice per day once morning and once night. You must get the bowels moving and rapidly. If the waste has time to sit and build up your going to get another flare up. If you have no poop in your colon your flare ups will be no longer.

I'm six years running 🏃🏿 with no divertic and the only downside is your going to sit on the porcelain god a few more times per day which you're already use to for 63 years.

Good luck and god bless you.

• Posted

Since my first attack in 2014 I have had about 8 attacks and they are unfortunately becoming more frequent.  As you say there is so much conflicting information, and I have not found anything that helps me yet.  Having said that I avoid things with seeds, raspberries, strawberries etc, in fact lots of foods that I love.
    • Posted

Lyn advoiding those foods does it help? I hoping to possibly start my Metamucil today for the first time and will take morning and night Lord willing . I have never ever tried it before I pray I don't have an allergic reaction . I think while I'm still on an antibiotic until I'm done or at least first day take it once a day and the a few days later twice a day for indefinitely. No one answer can we have chocolate pudding and regular caffeinated tea? Does anyone here have them I think it would be nice for the others on the list that has had this for much longer to share their diets with us such as what actually food they eat how often or small 6 meals throughout the day what meats breads sweets drinks etc.

• Posted

Thank you for all the comments/advise. i am into week 3 and still have low energy and just not feeling like myself yet but have returned to work. I can't imagine going through this again. I think I will take felinia's advise and start Metamucil. In reply to crosado8 my lower abdomen was very tender for 2 weeks and I had to walk slowly . In retrospect I should have stayed home longer and rested. Live and learn! Of note I live in the US in Philadelphia, PA. I welcome all of the feedback and hope all have a healthy 2017

• Posted

Thanks Linda for reply cause I thought I was the only one with the lower weird uncomfortable feeling in the lower stomach I am into day 9 I hope that lower belly feeling gets better walking . I'm only confused about and a little nervous because of suppose to slowly add back fiber and If I should wait till off antibotic and then start the Metamucil how did you do it Linda?

• Posted

I was told to slowly introduce fiber back into my system after I finished the antibiotics (I was on a 10 day course) which was last Friday so that is what I am doing. I was never advised to use Metamucil but I think it's a good idea and will start once I'm feeling back to normal in a week or two. I also have to get a colonoscopy done in 8 weeks.

• Posted

I am also scheduled a colonoscopy on March 22 I hope the antibiotic I'm still on kills the rest of the infection I could only do the Flagy for a full 5 days and 1 pill into the next day the side affects it caused in my head was unbareable I tried as long as I could. I'm still on Bactrim taking it the full 10 days, this stuff keeps me on constant scared mold of bleeding to death and infection invading my body I have high anxiety and panic anyways my husband passed away Jan 16,2015 I still have home two special needs children and I have to do everything . Any positive feed back if there is any would be appreciated I'm feeling very nervous about this 😕

• Posted

Linda get on the Metamucil ASAP. Take it twice per day in 12 ounces of water and chug it down. Your going to start feeling much better and without pain.
  • Posted

Linda, please note I went to a surgeon and he told me no surgery and to start taking Metamucil. The psyllium seed is the ingredient that will absorb and push everything out of your colon. It works and I have never had another attsck since I have been on it for six years. I also had a friend who has Diverticulitis and he came to me and is also a successful patient with psyllium. Stop the suffering and start living your life with no pain.
    • Posted

I drinked the Metamucil today,  my was powder form and I mixed in 12 ounces of water I didnt see any seedes mine was smooth like broth I dont understand what you mean by seeds in it. Today was my very first time ever  taking it,  I only did one roundeded tablespoon but tomorrow I'm going to do twice a day but heres another question do I take it exactly what it says twice a day so would that be two roundeded tablesppons one tablespoon in the morning and another tablespoon at night?

• Posted

Has anyone else get occasional when you wipe like a elasticity type discharge not a lot just mixed in sometimes with you wipe does that Metamucil get that out ?
    • Posted

I take 2 teaspoons per day in 12 ounces of water and drink down quickly. Once in early morning and once at night time. This will get your bowels moving and keep all fecal matter out of colon. When the colon is clean your not going to get any flare ups.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.