1st Dose Citalapram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've taken citalapram before but couldn't remember if I took half my dose to start or the whole dose. I was prescribed 20mg once daily. Tonight I took my first dose, & the whole one. I had called the pharmacy to see if crushing the pill & mixing with applesauce would be ok, they said that's fine. Should I be worried about any regular side effects? The last time I tried taking it I got bad headaches & nausea, so I stopped it. I've now realized I need to take it, so I'm giving it another try. Any advice would be appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi here I also took it years back and stopped than started up again about 5 months ago started on 10 then went to 20 and 5 weeks ago moved my dose to 30. The last time I took it compared to this time it affected me completely different. I had really bad head aches last time and more anxiety. This time I have no headaches, but crazy anxiety, no appatite, shakiness, muscle tension, and very sleepy, so I think it can change, no matter how many times u have taken a med. it's been 5 weeks 3 days on 30mg and all I have left of side effects is anxiety, up and down appetite and shaky hands and muscle tension. Today was super bad for me for what ever reason so I am hoping to wake up tomorrow with less side effects. smile. Hopefully for you won't be hard this time around, and if it is just remember it will all pass in time and how much better u will feel.

• Posted

Hi, my name is Jonny. I'm taking the same meds as you. I'm on my 3 month, and to answer your question I had the same side effects. Headache, nausea, and insomnia. In addition to heightened anxiety, I just took it day by day. Your side effects will be gone after a few weeks if not sooner. Hang in there, if you need anything I'm here for any support!

• Posted

Hey Jonny when did u find your anxiety disappeared I am little over 5 weeks and dam my anxiety is still there expecially in the morning. And now I seem to have the shakes for what ever reason. I am so sick of going to the doctors to bitch about my symptoms she just always tells me give it few weeks. I suffer from health anxiety so every time I feel off or something weird going on with my body I freak out.
    • Posted

I'm the same as you health anxiety. Im gonna be honest, I still feel anxiety. Probably need a higher dose, but my panic attacks have diminished. I use to have them all day, for no reason. Now when I have them I use breathing techniques and sit and wait. So I guess you could say I'm slowly rehabilitating myself. You can't depend on the pills alone. I started exercising and doing more things, which is so hard to do cause any little sting or heart palpitation I'm immediately going into panic mode. However, I'm doing a lot better. Your doctor is right 4-6 weeks you will see some light. Just combine it with things you were afraid of before, but take your time. Don't rush it, you have to understand your condition and how to maintain your anxiety.

• Posted

Anyone know if dry mouth is a side effect? So far the first day hasn't been too bad, just feel really tired & sleepy. Nausea is coming and goi g throughout the day, I just try to force myself to eat. Is the first day usually the worst? Or do the days get harder and harder with side effects? I'm hoping this is as bad as it gets. Or the more of the medicine I put in my body the more side effects I'll have.

• Posted

Jeanette, hey it's me Jonny! Yes dry mouth is a side effect I had it along with mild headaches but that subsided along with the other side effects after 4-6 weeks. You will be taking the pills like flintstone vitamins. Soon you won't have any side effects. The rest of the way will be up to you and the steps you use to rehabilitate yourself to get back to normal.

• Posted

You need to take 20mg of Citalopram every day, I take them with a part glass of milk.

Sometimes if your crush the drug you can loose some of the potency. The tablets are small and are easy to swallow especially with a touch of milk or fruit juice

Citalopram can have side effects in the early weeks of medication. In the packet you should find a sheet of paper explaining the side effects of the medication and anything to watch for, some of the side effects are minor and will disappear eventually, there is lists of severe effects, those you need to talk to your Surgery about. Some Surgeries are taking telephone calls from Patients and will call you back. Or you can make an appointment with your GP

BOB

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.