1st dose of Ropinirole taken...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there. Im new here. Ive had RLS for years, since I was a a child.  I never realised there was help available.  I saw my gp in august, had blood tests that came back normal and tosay saw a neuroligist after being refered. I was prescribed Ropinirole. Just took my first dose.  Im wondering if its a drug that works straight away or if it needs to build up? I so hope it works. What are your experiences of it???? Thank you! !! Xxx 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It generally takes about 2 hours to take effect after taking a tablet for me. I gather some (very unfortunate) people cannot get relief taking anything.

The problem is it becomes less effective with taking it. Pregabalin is said to help some people and it's effect doesn't decrease with use. Gabapentin doesn't work for me, so I'm not too hopeful Pregabalin would either.

• Posted

Im not familiar with any of the drugs. I wasnt even aware there was drugs that could help until a few months ago. 
    • Posted

I'm now taking Ropinirole 2 x 2mg during 24 hours, one in the afternoon and one before bed, which is the licence limit for RLS. (I think it goes up to over 20mg a day for Parkinson's.)

I'm wondering to what extent one can switch between painkillers and a dopamine agonist as one starts to lose its effect.

• Posted

Im hoping mine never progresses that much.
    • Posted

If you've had it from when you were very young. maybe it's genetic in your case.

I often wonder if it's not a symptom that can be caused by multiple conditions.

• Posted

Maybe. My mum had it and also my grandma's on both sides.

• Posted

I have just changed from pramipexole to roping roll and I am finding roping roll works much quicker and better I am loving it I take 4 a day my dose is .25 mg per pill I hope it takes as long as the other one before I have to change pills again which was 5 years hope you get on ok with them 

regards coral

• Posted

Sorry bout spelling iPad has a mind of its own of course I meant  ropinarole 
  • Posted

Hello LucyJain. I've taken Pramapexole for about 3 years now and it works quite well. If I take my meds at around 17.30, generally speaking I'm able to sleep. Occasionally though it doesn't. It takes about an hour to kick in. Sometimes in the afternoon I develop RLS because the meds I took the evening before have worn off. In this situation I find that if I take a couple of Pramapexole, my RLS is relieved after about an hour. This is particularilly useful when driving. I'm guessing the same could be true for Ropinirole. I notice you had a blood test. Didn't know you could have a blood test for RLS. I also notice you visited a Neurologist. I wonder how they helped. Did they carry out any examinations ie MRI scan. Tom. xx
    • Posted

Pramipexole, of course, has a much longer half-life than Ropinirole, 8-12 hours compared to 5-6 hours. I haven't read or heard the preference for prescribing Ropinirole over Pramipexole, except the latter is said to sometimes/often cause or exacerbate insomnia.

I guess the blood test would be to check iron, particularly ferretin levels.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.