1st Kidney Stone right and left in pain for years

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’m not sure what’s happening? I’ve had pain so bad for at least 6 years on my left side where the kidney is located. I thought it was my adrenals acting up bc I have adrenal problems. I found out I have a kidney stone. I don’t how many bc the doctor can’t explain until next wk but I haven’t been able to sleep on my left side in 6 years and I’m the last year my right side has been in pain off and on. Please educate me on kidney stones. Anybody have problems like this? Can I just drink water and it will go away? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Through an X-Ray or CT scan (best) doctor can determine size and placement of stone. Doctors vary in their opinions as to what size stone is able to exit the kidney and pass the ureter and leave vi urine. Most say 5mm would be max for this, but as you say you've probably been years with this stone, so it ain't gonna pass by itself. If you have a stone, or stones, best is go in and remove it.

• Posted

Welcome to our forum. I believe everyone in here has been involved with stones. Depending on the composition of the stone..you will need to adjust your diet accordingly. Lots and lots of water is a must. Depending on the size of the stone will often dictate how the doctors plan their treatment plan. Sometimes a lithiotripsy..or shockwaves are used to try to break the darn things into small fragments that will pass with your urine. There are other treatments also..including doing nothing at all. Im sure when you meet with the doc..he will have a plan in hand.
  • Posted

shel, my husband was admitted to hospital a few weeks ago in agone.  A CT scan showed a 6mm stone stuck in his ureter.  They discharged him with lots of painkillers and suppositories hoping that the stone would pass.  His pain continued for a further few days and then disappeared so we are hoping the stone has either passed or moved to a 'better' place!  Meanwhile, I encouraged him to drink loads of water containing slices of lemon - apparently this can help to both break up the stone and flush it out, plus if continued it can help to prevent the stones forming in the kidney in the first place.  The water is vital.  At the time, he found the best painkillers to be Diclofenac suppositories and/or Buscopan.  Worth a try for you, perhaps, and good luck!

• Posted

I think it is unlikely that this will just go away. You may pass the stone depending on how big it is.

Drinking water is very important. Also someone recommended Robinson's Lemon Barley Water to me.

Hope you are able to find  out exactly what is going on here and get the treatment you need.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.