1st Night Home after 2nd TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had my 2nd TKR Friday afternoon stayed in hospital Friday,Saturday,let home Sunday afternoon and yes first night home and yip first all nighter no sleep bed,couch,bed,couch you know the drill,wouldnt mind but i slept pretty well in that hospital bed second night where you can adjust your position but hey ho home now.As with the first its lying on my back (which i dont like) leg straight all the discomfort apart from the swelling pain for me which is expected its the back of the knee pain and discomfort hard to describe like an overstrethed feeling keeps me from sleeping as it did last time,its probably to early to try lying on my side with a pillow between my legs still far to much swelling,so its off to my GP to get some prescription sleeping pills as i did last time, and it worked wonders and this will help get me over this difficult period.All the memories from last years TKR come flooding back, but i took it head on then and in going at it head on again,get the sleep sorted and then push on. (push on sensibley that is)

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Wishing you all the best! As you know its a marathon and you are off and going now. Take good care we are all cheering for you. IT WILL GET SO MUCH BETTER!

• Posted

Hi Brent well it's over so think of the good times ahead once the first few weeks are over you know sleepless nights can't get comfy sort of thing by Xmas you'll be fine. Getting my 2nd done early next year so good luck x

• Posted

Thanks Ann,yes op done,knee is set in place and the joy's start now,honestly ann i can handle the pain, the work, the slow progress,its the sleep that got to me last time the endless nights ,and im not waiting so long this time to get it sorted,GP has given me so sleeping pills to help me over the next few weeks,which are the worst ones,i will post later on.

• Posted

Aww, well done Brent, I think your great your doing so well...apart from not getting any sleep which is understandable and normal...your right to get some tablets to help you sleep, you need sleep to help with the healing process....it's bring back all the horrid bad memories to me....you must be doing really well as they only kept you 2 nights in hospital , I was 4 nights in...hope you get a good sleep tonight...are you in Great Britain, or USA...just wondering what your time zone is...I'm in Ireland so same as GB...it's 10.30 pm here now...Rose

• Posted

GB rosemary up near beautiful Durham in the north east. Yes fri sat hospital stay then Sun morning physio did a final mobility test and out you go.Its definately going to help being through it once before,even though its never the same or is it,we shall see haha

• Posted

Yes I think it will help as you know what to expect this time....nobody told me how long this recovery would be, so it was getting me down, I was so relieved to find this forum and find out it wasn't only me who was struggling with the weeks passing by and still not been able to do much

• Posted

Totally agree rosemary this forum is a mine of information as a TKR can be a lonely place at times.I try to post positively as to me its the only thought path i have,even the sleep issue that to me is so destructive and i know i will hit a wall or two but i will get over it as will every other TKR patient.Now and again you cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel yet a fortnight down the line you thin to yourself what was all that fuss about.Its a hell of a ride were on but i remind myself of how much artritis pain i was in before the TKR,s and its so gonna be worth it further down the road. keep smiling rose.

• Posted

Hi Brent

I am in Seaham, not far from you. I had my first TKR in Sunderland back in June, from which I have recovered fairly well. Am scheduled to go back in to hospital on 20th December to have 2nd one done. I still get discomfort if I sit for too long, or I have overdone the walking but on whole much better and less pain than before. I actually have more pain on the unoperated knee.

• Posted

Hello Denise, My first TKR came out really well.and yes before my second tkr my unoperated leg was murder i literally couldnt walk round the block without pain it got to the stage where it was actually effecting my right hip.I'm 10 days post op now.and its not pleasant but the first 4-6 weeks are the worst as you know,mainly night time sleep is broken up but hey ho thats the nature of the beast,next on the cards is to get the staples out on thursday and start physio friday ( better find myself a bit of wood to bite on come friday) keep posting when you get your second lease of life denise.

• Posted

I didn't have any staples. I had some internal stitches and the outside was held together with steri strips covered by a dressing. I didn't know this until the District Nurse came to change the dressing. As a consequence I have a very neat scar without any dots down each side. I have no idea if this is down to the hospital or the surgeon who did the op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.