1st proctitis flare that has been awful !!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started with rectal bleeding and mucus in July last year that was at first thought to be piles then thought to be proctitis but told it wasn't after sigmoidoscopy biopsies were normal. Fast forward to this September and another sigmoidoscopy to be diagnosed again with proctitis. I started using pentasa enemas which stopped all symptoms within 2 days . Life was great then...... Boom awful stomach cramps came on from nowhere followed 2 days later by small amounts of diahrreah throughout the day . After a few days I contacted my ibd nurse who said it could possibly be an infection or an intolerance yo the enemas so ordered a stool sample and took me off the enemas . 2 days later no change with added blood .

The cramps have been horrendous and start as soon as I wake in the morning .

After a week or so of suffering I saw my gp who is sure it's a flare and has now put me on prednisiolone rectal foam.

My question is how long will it take to work and is it really possible to have a flare to different and painful to any begore?

My first sigmoidoscopy showed 5 cm of Inflammation and my most recent showed 1cm .

I have so much planned with my family over the next few months but feel like my life won't ever be normal again

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

IBD is a progressive disease and it isn't uncommon to have issues in ones rectum, then it shows up in some other location. I have it in my rectum, but I also have it throughout my colon and it could be in my small bowel as well. That means Crohn's disease. I hate IBD, because it is so difficult to treat it. I am on Entyvio right now and hoping it will work for me, so I can get rid of the pain it causes me. I get bad cramping as well. It is no fun.

• Posted

Wow doesn't sound good. The cramps are the worst . I've had 2 children and I would do labour over these cramps any day .

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with you see about 12 years ago recently I started taking Rachel's digestive tea for 19.95 which could be found on line I also take psyllium husk before bed with 8 oz of liquid I prefer apple juice in water this is help me remarkably it has been my Saving Grace I know everyone is different but I hope this helps you or someone else that is going through this problem

• Posted

Hi Michelle

I think I spoke to you before. I have had good success with Budanofalk enema. Used after another flare up 3 months ago and stopped it in its tracks. Consult your doctor. Cheers.

• Posted

You probably have . I'm always asking for advice . Thanks for that I will speak to my Dr. I've used the foam once last night and the cramps weren't so intense this morning and there's been no blood yet . It's such a horrible draining condition and the last 2 weeks have really opened my eyes to what people go through .

• Posted

I was diagnosed with UC about 10 years ago and never been on any prescription meds fortunately recently I started taking Rachel's digestive tea on line 19.95 and I take sylium husk powder before bed with 8oz glass of liquid I use Apple juice and water this has helped me a lot I know we are all different but I hope this is helpful to you or someone else that's having a problem

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.