1st Rheumy Appt Monday - what to expect?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi there! I'm 42 and my dr ran the RF test with my annual bloodwork because she thought my feet looked 'funny' - and my RF level is 36. My feet ache, but I'm a teacher and thought it was from standing all day. I'm realizing now that some of my aches and pains might be RA related. I'm also anemic and have low vitamin D. My first appt with my rheumatologist is Monday, and I'm worried about what to expect - how to dress (do they do an exam? Should I wear athletic clothes?) Also, will they do X-rays at the first visit!? I'm bringing my husband and plan to take notes - Any insight you can give me with your first visit would help greatly! I think I'm more nervous than anything. Hugs to all of you and thanks for your help! ??????

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed with RA 15 years ago it involved checking my all my joints, xrays and blood tests, then put on Sulfasalzine, and naproxen when needed, blood tests every 3 months, I have always had low iron, and low salt levels, you could check info on Turmeric/Curcumin for inflammation.
    • Posted

Thank you for the great information! I just made notes about Sulfasalzine & Turmeric/Curcumin... Thanks again!

• Posted

I don't remember too much but I think the Dr checked different joints for pain or swelling.  No X-rays but they did do blood work.  I would wear something easy to undress in case you need to put on a gown.  It is absolutely nothing to worry about.  

• Posted

Thank you for helping to calm my nerves :O) I'm definitely going to wear comfy clothing... Thank you for your help! xxoo

• Posted

In my last year of teaching before I retired, I experienced pain in the bottom of my feet. I went to a podiatrist who made orthotics for me and kept x-raying my feet as he was convinced I must have a broken bone (in both feet??). Then I did several months therapy for my feet. Nothing helped. One day, my large knuckles on both hands were suddenly in great pain. I went to my GP that same day and he sent me right over to the rheumatologist. He diagnosed me on the spot. 

I was impressed right away with his questions and examination. Much of what he does is through questions and answers along with probing my joints. However, it takes a while for a rheumatologist to completely understand a patient's idiosyncracies with the disease. For example, after more than 10 years of listening to me, he modified my diagnosis to palindromic RA. You will know pretty quickly if you have a good rheumatologist. If you do, great. If not, shop for another. My practice has 7 rheumatologiest so it would be easy to try another. But I am sticking with my original.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

You are extremely lucky! I have been with my rheumatology clinic for about 4 years in which time I have never met the consultant I am under and very very rarely get to see the same doctor twice and if I do they have no recollection of me. I thought it was the same everywhere!
    • Posted

That's not good. Continuity of care is important. I have the opposite problem; I keep seeing the same useless rheumatologist every time.

• Posted

Can't win can we? I suppose seeing multiple doctors I do get different takes on what's going on. I recall one doctor saw I was having a bad flare and put me on 30mg of steroids. When I told a different doctor at next appointment he was rather surprised at what his predecessor had prescribed. I think this RA is just trial and error mostly. But I have learnt that giving steroids like sweets by some doctors can be the norm. I stopped them and refuse to take them now.

• Posted

My doctor ordered more blood tests and sent me on my way... It was strange... And she noted my swelling, but she wasn't very forthcoming with her thoughts of what I might have... So we're just waiting on the results to see what's next. Thank you for your insights on this!

• Posted

Get a new rheumatologist!! You deserve good care. You are hiring the doctor ,  not the other way around. Good, competent care is important for your well-being. Good luck.
  • Posted

My first appointment with this Rheumy I had xrays  done of my hands and feet, she also has a scan machine and checks my hands for inflammation. On subsequent visits she checks them again on the scanner. I have monthly blood tests checking liver, kidneys and inflammation and because she had put me on MTX, folic acid, Plaquenil and Predisnolone (for a short time) and inflammation levels were still so high she ordered a whole body bone scan to see where the inflammation was pooling. It showed that my wrists, hands and fingers and also ankles, feet and toes had large amounts of inflammation still so put me on Cimzia biologic injections, within weeks the blood tests showed liver damage and she rang me the same day as the blood tests (got to love technology) to let me know to stop MTX. Through all of this my Rheumy (Margaret) has been brilliant, we laugh, she listens, we Skype between appointments to take the strain off me travelling 5 hours to see her and because she knows I am now retired she makes sure I never pay more than $50 for a private consultation, free blood tests and free bone scan. I feel so lucky after reading some of the nightmares you all seem to go through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.