1st Time Going to See a Psychiatrist

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, my anxiety has gotten worse the last few days to the point I couldn't get in a car because I started feeling like I'm gonna fall of the edge of sanity. Tensed and anxious constantly the whole day and cannot relax. I went to the ER feeling that my knees were weak and shaky. I did tests with GP and they said it wasn't my thyroid or heart problem so the recommend me to see psychiatrist.

I have never ever been to a psychiatrist before. Can you guys please give me some advice on what should I say or do when I go and see him?? What is the best way to do this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi There

I would advise to just be honest, open and answer any questions truthfully they are not there to judge you they are there to help.

• Posted

Just be open with them, they can only help you as much as you help yourself, the way to help yourself is to be completely honest with them. They shouldn't judge you for what you say. If they do, I'd see another professional. Ask questions, bring up whatever concerns you.
  • Posted

Can you guys please decribe to me how these things usually go? Like how does it start? What do they ask?

Should you ask anything back? What should you ask back?

• Posted

In my experience I spoke to a psychiatrist only after I had been referred to a therapist first. I, too, was constantly going to doctors to get answers I desperately needed. I knew it was anxiety, but I wanted to make sure. After thyroid tests, ECG's, bloodwork, everything came back fine. 

Anyway, my doctor referred me to mental health after they found nothing wrong with me. You will maybe do therapy for a few months before speaking to a psychiatrist because they want to make sure your case deems medication to begin with. It took me three months to get an appointment. 

The first psychiatry session was an hour. My psychiatrist was an older man and he started the session by asking what my concerns were. Of course he already knew because he works together with the facility's therapists, but I guess he wanted to hear it from me. I told him what had been going on from the very beginning. He then proceeded to ask A LOT of questions about medical history, mental illness history (including family), stressors, etc. After typing stuff down he eventually suggested a medication. Ultimately it's up to you if you want to take it or not. Be honest with your psychiatrist, if you don't feel comfortable taking anything you can always make an appointment later. 

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. My normal doctor is recommending me to directly see a psychiatrist, no therapists. I couldn't book one in the hospital where I did the bood tests so I had to find one outside of it. I have already made an appoinment an I am seeing him today.
    • Posted

That's awesome! In that case just be VERY honest with your psychiatrist. He needs as much info as possible to give you the appropriate meds 
    • Posted

Also, it would be wise to ask what the possible side effects are so you can be fully prepapred OR not because on the other hand you could end up being hypervigilant to any physical symptoms, purposely seeking to feel some sort of side effect. Unfortunately our minds tend to do that..
    • Posted

Update. Just came back. The psychiatrist I went to doesn't seem very patient. The whole time he was questioning me he seemed impatient made a bunch of expressions that I think were suppose to be sympathetic but looked like he was faking. He did ask about medical history and etc. He just prescribed medicine and only when I asked if I need to see him again for theraphy sessions did he say in 2 weeks. Kinda offhandedly, as if he expects the med to do all the work.

He gave me PRISTIQ 50MG suppose to take 1/2 every night once a day. Ever heard of it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.