1st time on Citalopram, will it help?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I've been prescribed 10mg of citalpram for anxiety/severe pmt. This is day 8, the side effects are getting better but just wondered how long they will take to work? and will they work? Im counting on them to help me get out of this rut i'm stuck in.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, day 28 for me on 20 mg. I am in my mid forties and never been on medication in my life. Left it for a day the other day as my instinct is not to take. I have to say though for me it is working. The dry mouth, and constantly drinking lots of water helps this, is a pain and I am not sure if the odd headaches isnt connected but on balance I am going to give it 2 months and see how I get on. Also be led by my GP. They say it takes a month but like you I felt good effects after a week. No alcohol though. Even small amounts will not be good. Getting the energy to do sports, walking and keep your diet good is also sometimes a struggle when all I want to do is chill and look at the ceiling but the drug helps. Sometimes I guess when you leave things to long you need a little help and this stuff if its right to you can be part of that. smile smile smile smile smile
  • Posted

Hi, i have also been given this drug 20mg for the first time today i'm only 22 and this is the first time anything like this has happened, don't know what to expect. should i take it or leave it?
  • Posted

Hi,

Ive also just been given citalopram by my doctor today...

im 21 and have been feeling gradually worse for a year now, recently ive felt like i have a constant flu, tiredness, unable to concentrate and cope with small problems... even now im worrying how they are going to cope at work without me and i feel like im letting them down!!

Does it really work? what do i need to expect?

• Posted

Im 30 y.o. I got citalopram yesterday, 1st time in my life .Im getting horrible side effects so far /2nd day/ although im on 20mg which is quite big dose.Have read other people comments and may take only half pill as they suggested.Is this pill going to work?I dont know, but I will hold on this to get through xmas and than next few weeks

Does it really work? what do i need to expect?

• Posted

To you all..When i started citalopram a few months ago it was also the first time i've ever taken these drugs or any for that matter. I was scared and didn't want to take them and was worried about the stigma attached to taking them. However, after i got over the side effects in the first 3weeks i've been fine since. I can honestly say i've only felt low twice since instead of every day. They've really helped. I do get a bit of frustration when my sex drive goes occasionally but other than that. I feel so much better now and can get things done, i feel normal again, so normal i forget to even take them sometimes as i forget i'm on them. I would advise anyone to just try them, the most that can happen is that they don't work for you or agree with you. what have you got to lose? Most people i have heard from have only given me positive feedback, there are very few i've heard of that citalopram haven't worked for. However, the first 3 weeks should not be counted..just take them as there will be side effects! after this point give them a go for at least another 6weeks for them to kick in and see how you are..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.