1st time on colchicine/watery diarrhea

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

So I have been dealing with gout for about 4 weeks here in the US. My podiatrist put me on Indomethacin after week 1 - I had toe , foot pain , some swelling but not very obvious gout & he did a steroid injection. Week 2 , still hurting, only add in more of the foot and ankle & does lab work. Uric acid level was 4.7. Doctor put me in a walking boot to rest foot, toe. Week 3 he finally puts me on colchicine. Had to take 9 pills before I finally have watery diarrhea. I am running to the bathroom all afternoon! I finally just took some Imodium. I can't take the burning diarrhea anymore. My ankle still hurts. This is so frustrating.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

OK... they did a blood urate test during a gout attack. This shows either:

Incompetence

Or

Pumping up the bill.

Change to a competent doctor.

They took three weeks to give you colchecine the medicine that has been the basis of gout treatment for 3,000 years: change doctor.

You took 9 pills - again change doctor. The problem with colchecine is the therapeutic dose is close to the dose that will give you diarrhea. A good doctor would know that if you take the tabs broken in half every few hours you get less problems.

Now, what the doctors should have told you. Drink water - you need to urinate minimum of two liters per day. Not drink - urinate. Second avoid alcohol. Third do not drink anything with fructose or high fructose corn syrup. Medium term lower body weight to BMI 24. Avoid sweet fruits. I found hot water helped. Others find cold water. Others both.

1 month after attack have blood urate test. Take the results to someone who knows what they are doing, like a rheumatologist. Gout is beyond the pay grade of a podiatrist.

• Posted

Oh gosh. Thank you. We live in a small town & the closest rheumatoid doc is 60+ miles away. I wish I would have known to take the pills in 1/2 like that. I have been sick with the watery urgent diarrhea for almost 11 hours. It's awful. Sorry 😐 if it's tmi.

• Posted

What????????? I have lived with gout since I was 14, now 50. When I was 14 they put me in a boot/cast because I was way too young to be taking medicine.

On my second attack, my doctor gave me indomethacin, told me to drink lot of water and cherry juice.

A podiatrist is not medically trained to make sounds decisions on gout. He's following a book which if taken by the letter could kill you.

Go see a real doctor, and not a quack who doesn't know what he's doing because obviously he's not a medical doctor.

• Posted

Hi

Unfortunately you need to keep taking the Colchicine until your attack is under control, although indomethacin should help I would also ask for some pain killers. If things don't improve you can also get some steroids to treat the attack

To help with the unfortunate side effects of Colchicine you could also take a gastric protector, but perhaps also reduce the dose of Colchicine, which will of course take longer to help with the Gout attack

Once the attack has subsided you then need to get your uric acid levels under control, so Allopurinol or something similar plus Colchicine but only a couple of tablets a day

Good luck

Thanks

• Posted

Thank you. I Go back to the doctor tomorrow (yes the podiatrist-I've asked my primary for a name of a rheumatologist ) and I am going to ask for the indomethacin and ask if I should re-start the colchicine or wait...I read you can't take Alpurinol until 4 months after your 1st gout attack?? I'm considering letting him draw the fluid from the joint to test for the calcium crystals (pseudo-gout) because my mom had calcium deposits- her primary disease was systemic lupus....this is all sounding more like a rheumatologist will figure it out faster huh? Sigh.

• Posted

4 months is too long in my opinion. 10 days after swelling has gone is probably ok but keep colchecine around and first hint of gout take them.

As for taking joint fluid - it is the gold standard but not necessary: if you have high blood urate outside of gout attack = gout. Also gout and pseudogout attacks are different. Gout comes in quick, usually at night. Pseudogout builds up slowly over couple of days.

• Posted

This is good advice.

I'd add: drink water + lose weight.

• Posted

Colchicine made me so ill I had to stop taking it. One night I must have rushed to the toilet 20 times, and my arse looked like a gibbon's by the morning. 

• Posted

How many tablets had you taken over the previous 24 hours (if you recall)? Were they taken at regular intervals?

The research shows that the vast majority will tolerate 4 tablets in 24 hours. Only a minority will tolerate 7. Imagine when they used to tell everyone to take 6 tablets an hour apart for six hours!

• Posted

Oh I hear ya. My bum was burned. I was running every 15 minutes to the toilet. I had diarrhea for 13 hours!!! I had to take Imodium to stop it. The worst!!

I took 3 pills Sat, 6 Sunday, 12 hours apart as instructed per the doctor on call & boom 💥- Monday & 1 pm it hit. I was waiting to hear if I should take more pills & add Indomethacin. Still hurting. Trying to get into rheumatologist.

• Posted

I was 4 a day. It took me two days to become horribly ill.
    • Posted

4 is the max recommended (or 3 in the UK because in the tabs are 600mg not 500 in most of world), but even in 4 a good % get "loose stools" to put it politely. It is very strange that just a *little* over our tolerance we get ill.

• Posted

is colchecine an over the counter medicine?
    • Posted

Depends in which country. UK and most western countries - prescription only.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.