Skip to content

Gout and Pseudogout

All discussions in this group

Next
  • alex247 2

Gout and taking responsibility. confusing facts

Hi all, Im 37 and had my first attack 6 years ago. I ran up the stairs and stubbed my toe on the way up. the following morning i was in agony, thought id broken it and went to A&E. Blood test and high uric acid was detected. I was perscrobed a course of colchicine and sent home. After about a week it...

29 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • paul6676 2
  • Cazzle 1

Pseudogout

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site , although I have been suffering from pseudo gout for the past 34 years . I was diagnosed with it at 20 and it has deteriorated since then. I am in constant pain all over as it affects most of my joints . It has now been identified in my ligaments and soft tissues in...

15 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • rod52910 1

Swollen knee now affecting whole leg

I started with a swollen knee two weeks ago which my doctor said was housemaids knee. It then progressed to a swollen inflamed leg and swollen ankle. A course of antibiotics had little effect and a blood test showed no infection in the blood, or raised markers for gout.  I’m now on anti-inflammatory...

6 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • BootleRed 1

Prolonged Gout Pain

Hi all let me give you a brief history...I passed a kidney stone in my late twenties and have suffered approx. 10 gout attacks since then and im now 42. I drink rarely and eat a relatively balanced diet. In the past my gout has been managed with Diclofenac and lasted only a few days. However I have suffered...

33 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • david46345 2

UA results - home test kits

I bought one of these testers on internet, this one in particular tests cholesterol, glucose and uric acid levels. It comes with instructions on how to take blood sample and its fairly easy to follow, it says to test uric acid every day in the morning for 2 weeks The problem is test results are all...

10 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • BeefyJ 2

Wits end, Gout or Pseudo....3 weeks in and not working 😪

History; Had 2 suspected gout episodes in past 12-18 months. First was hideous but cleared in 3-4days with Naproxen. 2nd I caught early and never came to much. All base joint of big toe right foot. 3 weeks ago today, Easter Monday, I woke to a minor toe pain which gradually increased over 2 days to...

13 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • OhNoGout 1

First gout attack?

I have been noticing some pain in my right big toe for a week or two, mostly when bending backwards as in squatting....over the weekend I did some shoveling (turning hard soil with lots of rocks) and also a lot of walking.  On Monday I started having more pain and by evening there was a visible lump...

8 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • baa79307 1

Gout resolved 2 .5 days

I know everyone talks about cherries. Cherries work ok (organic dried , cherry juice). I used 3/4 cups Northland Cranberry juice 1/4 cup cherry juice. What really worked is the dandelion root tea twice a day- helps with kidney function

5 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • nexia201 2

Constipation when useing allopurino.

Hi so im on 300mg allopurinol daily , and i am most of the time constipated . Any of you find that these tablet get them constipated? Also i stay that way when i take cholchicine which is strange as they normaly give diarhea.

3 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • mark39515 2

New research: drink lemon juice for gout

A new research paper has just been published (peer reviwed). Extracts from the paper abstract: ..... In the present study, the role of the lemon fruit juice and/or the water soluble extracts in lowering the blood uric acid level was evaluated in both human subjects and mice. Fresh lemon fruits, excluding...

14 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • kiteman 2

3 attacks in 5 years, tophi and other q's?

brief gout history: 34yo male, good shape/fit, first attack was the big toe almost exaclty 5 years ago.  it seemed random and went away, 15 months later i stubbed that toe and had a HORRIBLE gout experience.  for 2 weeks i had a 102+ fever and could not walk most of the time, even to the bathroom.  it...

1 reply 0 votes Last reply
  • teresa99770 1

New here, still learning

I'm 52/female & had what seemed like fairly mild gout pain for a few days, twice in the past year. Then a few weeks ago it came back and is not going away. The pain is primarily in my big toe but there's only slight overall puffiness, not the huge red swollen toe I've seen online. The pain is intense...

6 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • mark38479 1

Allopurinol seems to be making my Gout worse

Hi I started Allopuirnol a few weeks back after suffering years of painful Gout. Unfortunatley I seem to be getting worse rather than better. I started on 100mg then to 300 and still suffering. Seems to me that the more i take the worse it is getting. If anyone else has suffered taking Allopurinol please...

20 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • roger47054 2

Bread for gout?

A silly thing but with so much conflicting advice i want to know from other sufferers if white is better than brown. I prefer brown but the other half says she spotted on the interweb that white is the way to go.. Anybody have any thoughts?

14 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • steven69209 2

Drinking water throughout the night

I am an occasional gout sufferer for the past 26 years. A year ago I had a heart attack, and have been on a number of medications since then. I began suffering more frequent gout attacks in Sept 2016. My cardio doctor said none of the heart meds I take are indicated as having gout causing side effects....

22 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • luvgonzo 2

No More Gout

I started having gout approximately 7 years ago in my late 30's, since then I've followed all the advice about diet and tried to pin down my trigger foods. The food and drink thing is difficult as it seems to vary from person to person, for example people talk about cherries a lot as a preventive but...

12 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • mark23925 3

Gout

I drink no alcohol, I do not eat sweets, maybe a bit, not much, I eat vegetables all the good stuff tomatoes,garlic,red onions, kale, carrots, beets, mostly raw and yet I developed gout. I do eat regular types of fish like trout and salmon, regularly and some chicken in the form mostly of white breast....

7 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Zee88 2

I know what triggers my Gout.... but what are the alternatives?

1) Soda and sugar flavored juice. Whenever I go nuts and drink too much.... GOUT. But I can't help it, I crave sugary drinks or I go crazy. So what are the alternatives? Diet soda? Flavored water?  2) Beef and shrimp. Few months ago I lost my mind and ate 10 pounds of Korean BBQ & shrimp in a couple...

5 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • jeff5518 2

New to Gout

I need help. this is all new to me. Im 55 yr male. 12days ago came down with gout. The Dr. wont perscribe any meds because my kidneys arnt the best. Going to aruba in 24 days. is there something out there that will stop the gout so that i can drink alcohol there. I have changed my diet allready. and...

25 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • BettyE 3

First Attack

Experienced my first ( and I hope last!) attack of gout right out of the blue last Wed. evening.No sleep at all that night. Foot was so painful. By morning a bit better but hobbled all day. Saw GP Thursday and she confirmed my suspicion. Cannot take anti inflmmatories but was offered Piroxicam gel which...

• rick03247 2

Weak joints

Hi to everyone on here. My question is i am 49 and have been suffering with gout now for 4 years. It started in my left big toe, then the ankle, then the knee and now has started on the right side upwards. Does anyone else out there who has had an attack left with weaker joints as i find i cannot walk...

11 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • jeff5518 2

shoe

ne to Gout. 21 days in. its worse in the am just after i arise. what is everybody wearing for shoes. I need somthing i can wear in a office. Ive been wearing crocks. but bosses dont like it.

18 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • philip 53291 2

Gout and Alcohol

I've had 5 attacks in 6 years although my previous to this was 2014 (now Jan 2017). I've coped pretty well with alcohol consuming no more than 2 x pints of beer on alternate days and similarly with wine (maybe a little more wine). Having been recently diagnosed with Coeliac disease I stopped beer and...

94 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Zee88 2
  • paul07756 1

Flaming Gout

Aged 46 I am on my second gout attack of the year ...thought it was bad enough when it was centred on foot and toe but pain seems to be even worse on knee joint to the point where I can't walk on it at all ...fed up this time as started a week ago ...took Naproxen until could see doctor Weds ...three...

• derek73872 1

Febuxostat

I've been taking febuxostat for 3 weeks now but just the other is started to feel dizzy about 4 hours after I've taken the tablet, Has anyone else had these symptoms and will the dizziness subside? thanks

4 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • steve1973 2

Worst in over 10 year

Well here I am, Steve 43 uk, feeling sorry for myself lol. I have had gout on and off for over ten years and even went 7 months without a hint once though don't know how as done nothing different and have never managed it since. I am currently suffering the worst ever with the whole of my left foot twice...

18 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • david46345 2

Lump on big toe joint after gout

I am 36 yo and had massive gout attack just before New Year, i had 4-5 attacks over the past 5 years but this one was the longest and most painful. I was taking painkillers and indomethacin and it managed to get rid of it after 2 weeks of pain and misery, however, there is lump left on my big toe joint...

27 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Omega13 1

Urate levels and controlling Gout

I had my first Gout attack on 19th December.  It went and then returned mid way through Jan. I went to GP who tested Uric acid levels during the attack (I know not good).  My levels were 7.7mg/dL.  The GP refered me to a rheumatologist. I gave up meat and all alcohol for 1 month.  In that month I had...

• Zee88 2

Do you do any exercises during your Gout attack?

The worst thing about my gout attacks is that I can't run 7-10 miles every day like I normally do. So when I return to running 2-4 weeks later, I am really out of shape and takes few months to return to normal. Currently I don't exercise at all other than limping around a little (still have chores to...

• smitty2020 2

gout not giving up so easy

hi guys i am a male,29 and an active person and have been suffering with gout for the past 6 months i have been under a number of blood tests from the doctors which as been a pain. first of all they perscribed allopurinol​ which was great my level were well below,started getting back too myself then...

4 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • anon26204 2

Alcohol Free Beer and Gout

What effect does Alcohol Free Beer have on Gout and Hyperuricemia? I know that both beer and alcohol are both bad for gout but is alcohol free beer ok?

7 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • BlueEyesCO 1

Don't understand test results

I injured my knee doing yardwork last weekend. On Sunday, it had ballooned up on the outside of the knee/quad area. I went to urgent care as I was unable to bend it and could barely stand. They drained 60cc's and send it off to the lab for testing.   They also took xrays, and he didn't see anything...

1 reply 0 votes Last reply
  • anon26204 2
Back to top Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.