Skip to content
Ad

Gout and Pseudogout

Also known as Pseudogout

All discussions in this group

Next
  • pseudogout in neck

So I woke up in the middle of the night and my neck was so stiff I couldn't turn in either direction, and it hurt fairly seriously from even tiny movements.  Could this be pseudogout? ​At first I figured I just tweaked it, but the stiffness lasted through the day.  I finally started wondering...

Last reply
  • C4 Superfoods: The Real Story - Onions and gout

Hi All.  I saw an interesting program on C4 last night. 'Superfoods: The Real Story : Episode 8 - Watercress, Onions, Mangoes' Available on catch up. It discussed onions as a uric acid lowering food. Worth a look if you are interested.

Last reply
  • Allopurinol & decreased sperm volume

I've been taking 300mg Allopurinol for a few months now, and suddenly my sperm production has dropped significantly. Is this a common side effect with the medication? Would it be worth mentioning to my GP on our next visit?

Last reply
  • Best time to measure uric acid levels

Hello all, My GP told me this week that my uric acid level is high but reading below 7, I have one of those Uric Acid kit and I did my first reading first thing in the morning and was showing 6.1 Please, how do you guys measure your uric acid levels ? Many thanks

Last reply
  • My Way to beat gout

OK, so I have had my second episode of gout. it was unbearable for 4 days when I decided to take action. I have listed my strategy to manage and clear it here. This might not be for everyone but my theory was to just try and BLAST it. No half hearted measures. Hopefully within 3 days this will alleviate...

Last reply
  • Have I got your or arthritis causing long term pain

I was told in the 1990s that I had a slightly high uric acid level by my gp. I was not given any medication for this. I have tended to suffer some joint pain for years. Quite often, also, I would get very tender (small) points in areas such as my shoulders or elbow. Just to touch them hurt. Gradually,...

Last reply
  • Herbal remedies

Has anybody tried any herbal remidies for gout relief? My fried gave me some unrefined raw hemp paste to try to see if it will ease my pain during an attack. This stuff isn't cheap and costs £50 for a small tube. I'm going to wait until i have an attack to try it, I'm just seeing if...

Last reply
  • Gout vs Sesamoiditis

Gout attacks Went to doctor 9/8/2017 in mist of attack that started the Tuesday before (9/4/2017) she gave me Diclofenac Potassium 50 mg 3 times daily  for ten days with 2 refills, it helped finished first bottle then was fine until another attack on 9/25/2017 refilled next day. Have changed diet...

Last reply
  • Lump on big toe joint after gout

I am 36 yo and had massive gout attack just before New Year, i had 4-5 attacks over the past 5 years but this one was the longest and most painful. I was taking painkillers and indomethacin and it managed to get rid of it after 2 weeks of pain and misery, however, there is lump left on my big toe joint...

Last reply
  • Newly diagnosed with gout, no symptoms and was prescribed uloric..

Hi guys! I'm 26 years old and was recently diagnosed with gout. I have not had a flare, knock on wood, however I do feel tingling-ness from time to time by my toe joint after I consume too much meat or sweets.. my doctor prescribed me uloric because my uric level came out to be 9.5. My question...

Last reply
  • Advice for newly diagnosed

Hi all, I was recently diagnosed with acute gout (primary gout) just this past Thursday and am quite terrified so I've been reading as much of the academic literature as possible over the past couple of days mainly searching for justification of my current eating habits and psychological feeling...

Last reply
  • Wife's bad knees.

My wife banged her knee a few years ago and although she had it 'cleaned out' it's never got better. Even cortisone injections only give her temporary relief.  Because she puts more weight onto her left leg due to her right leg pain, her left knee joint is now going the same way. any...

Posted
  • Has anyone tried celery seed capsules?

Hi fellow gout sufferers.  Has as anyone mentioned taking celery seed in the past? Over the years I've suffered from gout in my feet. The latest attack lasted for weeks and moved from foot to foot almost on a daily basis. It was mainly along the sides and on the top of my feet. Colchicine...

Last reply
  • Gout and taking responsibility. confusing facts

Hi all, Im 37 and had my first attack 6 years ago. I ran up the stairs and stubbed my toe on the way up. the following morning i was in agony, thought id broken it and went to A&E. Blood test and high uric acid was detected. I was perscrobed a course of colchicine and sent home. After about...

Last reply
  • New Gout Diagnosis

I've been diagnosed with gout,  I have elevated Uric acid levels in my blood,  very painful feet , occasionally pain in my hip and thumb but not like what I've been reading about.   No redness swelling and nothing in my big toe.  Can my doc be mistaken?   

Last reply
  • First time gout flare up - lots of questions

Hello everyone, Last Wednesday, I had my first severe and debilitating gout flare up behind my left toe. I had to call in to work for a couple of days, and I saw my GP for a blood test. He started me on indomethacin, but it feels like it didn't help with the pain, or inflammation.  I returned...

Last reply
  • Pseudogout - no cause, no prevention, no treatment???

Wondering why I'm having gout-like pains in odd areas when I haven't been eating the bad foods, and finally decided to *read* the references on "pseudo-gout", and without formal medical diagnosis I guess that's what I have.  But reading about it - can medical science really...

Last reply
  • No meat and still having flare ups

I am a Vietnam Veteran and dealt with plenty injuries but this gout is starting to take the blue ribbon. I wasn't a heavy meat eater unless at a cook out. But last 6 months the Allopurinol at 200mg no longer is helping. VA medical staff doubt I'm suffering gout because it attacks my upper...

Last reply
  • Gout

I have read that cider vinegar is good for prevention of gout has this worked for anyone if so what dose is best

Last reply
  • Gout because of Proton Pump Inhibitors

Have taken several forms of ppis over the past year on and off and for the past six months cimitidine. Now have gout lower back. You tell the doctor this and he doesnot want to accept it. I do not eat much in the way of acidic - bad diet - and this can be the only cause of it. Yet doctor tries to...

Last reply
  • Allopurinol and gout attackes

Hi. Any help or advise would be really appreciated please. After having regular gout attacks my doctor has put me on allopurinol. I had to take colchicine for 2 weeks before I started taking one tablet (100mg) of allopurinol per day. I had to continue on the colchince along side the allopurinol for...

Last reply
  • Prolonged Gout Pain

Hi all let me give you a brief history...I passed a kidney stone in my late twenties and have suffered approx. 10 gout attacks since then and im now 42. I drink rarely and eat a relatively balanced diet. In the past my gout has been managed with Diclofenac and lasted only a few days. However I have suffered...

Last reply
  • maybe gout...now worried about dying

Have just had the 'gone to A and E with a broken toe that isn't.' Now waiting for blood test. In the meantime I have been browsing this forum. I would like to know whether there is a known  link between heart disease and gout or whether it is one of those stats things i.e. people who...

Last reply
  • Gout in my knee one week after cortisone knee injection

One week after having cortisone injected in my knee I developed horrible pain and swelling in the same knee. My GP suspects gout, prescribed prednisone and ordered a blood test. Has anyone had gout after a cortisone injection or was this just bad timing?

Last reply
  • There is a Trigger

A genuine Gout sufferer will have experienced the errupting volcano of pain in the big toe.  I was woken at 2 am ,called a taxi and went to A&E ,as I could not put my foot to the ground, the driver fetched a wheel chair to get me in there.  Finally called ,the nurse took one look and said...

Last reply
  • prolong gout attack

I have been experiencing what it seems multiple gout attacks for the past 5 weeks. It all started on the back of my right foot where the aquilles meets the heel and my GP thougth at first it was a tendonitis. A couple of days later it moved to the outer ankle, same foot. Two days later, to the big toe...

Last reply
  • Pseudogout

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site , although I have been suffering from pseudo gout for the past 34 years . I was diagnosed with it at 20 and it has deteriorated since then. I am in constant pain all over as it affects most of my joints . It has now been identified in my ligaments and soft tissues...

Last reply
  • Is this gout or something else?

Hi, I've been having some big toe pain for a couple of months now, the pain gets really bad but does lessen over a period of time but never really goes away. The pain stems from the underside of my big toe on the first joint (Dip Joint I think it's called) , the pain is more in the left of the...

Last reply
  • Swollen knee now affecting whole leg

I started with a swollen knee two weeks ago which my doctor said was housemaids knee. It then progressed to a swollen inflamed leg and swollen ankle. A course of antibiotics had little effect and a blood test showed no infection in the blood, or raised markers for gout.  I’m now on anti-inflammatory...

Last reply
  • UA results - home test kits

I bought one of these testers on internet, this one in particular tests cholesterol, glucose and uric acid levels. It comes with instructions on how to take blood sample and its fairly easy to follow, it says to test uric acid every day in the morning for 2 weeks The problem is test results are all...

Last reply
  • Wits end, Gout or Pseudo....3 weeks in and not working 😪

History; Had 2 suspected gout episodes in past 12-18 months. First was hideous but cleared in 3-4days with Naproxen. 2nd I caught early and never came to much. All base joint of big toe right foot. 3 weeks ago today, Easter Monday, I woke to a minor toe pain which gradually increased over 2 days to...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.