Skip to content

Gout and Pseudogout

Also known as Pseudogout

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Pinned

What it's really like to live with gout

In our recent feature, Dr Laurence Knott describes his experience of living with gout: https://patient.info/health/arthritis/features/what-its-really-like-to-live-with-gout Feel free to discuss here

Last reply
  • Prescription Amounts for treating gout

About a year and a half ago I switched primary care doctors.  My old doctor prescribed me 90 pills of 50 mg indomethacin with 5 refills and colcrys (colchicine) at .6 mg also in a large quantity with refills.  My new PCP prescribed me 10-15 pills of indomethacin and 10-15 pills of colcyrs...

Last reply
  • Get rid of gout naturally

I had been having gout attacks daily  for almost 2 years. The doctor prescribed me Allopurinol during this time, they didn’t work and left me feeling like I had flu like symptoms all over my upper body along with feeling tired most days, it also seemed to destroy my immune system.  I decided...

Last reply
  • Attack suddenly stopped (or not gout)

Hi, I had my first attack 2.5 years ago (toe pain, no redness). First thing, my doc change my blood pressure medication for a non-diuretic one. After that, I was able to avoid blood test (I'm afraid of needles) but eventually went and been told my uric acid was a bit high. So I'm now on 100mg...

Last reply
  • Help

I’ve run out of prescription medicine I’m having an excruciating flareup any ideas of what to do until I can get my meds filled

Last reply
  • New research: drink lemon juice for gout

A new research paper has just been published (peer reviwed). Extracts from the paper abstract: ..... In the present study, the role of the lemon fruit juice and/or the water soluble extracts in lowering the blood uric acid level was evaluated in both human subjects and mice. Fresh lemon fruits,...

Last reply
  • is this normal after taking uric acid lowering drug

good day iam 26 and have a high uric acid about 8.5-11 flatuating. 1 and a half month ago i had a pain in my right ankle, toe and heel. sometines getting better than after a week having a flare again jumping from heel to big toe to ankle. after going to the doctor i was prescribe febuxostat 21 days now...

Last reply
  • Prolonged Gout Pain

Hi all let me give you a brief history...I passed a kidney stone in my late twenties and have suffered approx. 10 gout attacks since then and im now 42. I drink rarely and eat a relatively balanced diet. In the past my gout has been managed with Diclofenac and lasted only a few days. However I have suffered...

Last reply
  • My story...fit vegetarian, no alcohol still got Gout lol

I got hit by Gout around 5 years ago at the age of 35. I had been a very healthy vegetarian for 10 years before that and super fit and lean. Hardly touched alcohol either. So in my case it definitely was not diet related. My dad and maternal granddad both had Gout so I guess my excellent lifestlye choices...

Last reply
  • reoccuring mild gout flare

i first had my gout flare two years ago after some nsaids it went off in a few days. had a couple of flares since then. now i am 26 and having the worst attack i always look at my uric acid and it was 8.5-14. it is now 6 weeks since then and my flare is reocuring. mild but still painfull which is in...

Last reply
  • could a swollen big toe be anything but Gout?

Hi. I had sciatic messed up for weeks. Shooting pain down leg into arch. Started to demenish except at nite then foot with continued arch pain swells slightly on top. Then boom! My big toe swells up three x size in one day!Could it be anything other than the dreaded Gout?  No injury.  And the...

Last reply
  • Bread for gout?

A silly thing but with so much conflicting advice i want to know from other sufferers if white is better than brown. I prefer brown but the other half says she spotted on the interweb that white is the way to go.. Anybody have any thoughts?

Last reply
  • Misdiagnosed gout

I have been getting pain and loss of mobility in my wrists and hands for a few months now, it is often hard to pick things up or do things that require wrist strength, driving the car increases the pain. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with gout, the medication did not help, and I have now been...

Last reply
  • Pegloticase (trade name Krystexxa) questions

Pegloticase (trade name Krystexxa) questions: Can anyone relate their (1) experiences, side effect, especially with breathing issues - and (2) pricing per session under blue cross blue shield? (I am allergic to the other gout drugs - and have had a very bad experience with another iv...

Last reply
  • Herbal remedies

Has anybody tried any herbal remidies for gout relief? My fried gave me some unrefined raw hemp paste to try to see if it will ease my pain during an attack. This stuff isn't cheap and costs £50 for a small tube. I'm going to wait until i have an attack to try it, I'm just seeing if...

Last reply
  • Need Advice on Gout Medication

I had a gout flare before and I had not have one for couple years. I had a flare up beginning of December and my Dr. put me on Colchicine and Allopurinol. Colchicine .06mg twice a day as needed. Allopurinol 100mg twice a day. This is my first time being on these medication. I used NSAID for my previous...

Last reply
  • This sound like gout? Or am I in denial?

Let me start by saying I'm 44 now and quit playing vball at a young age due to very bad tendonitis. A couple years ago my right knee got extremely sore. The tendons below and above the knee cap we sore to the touch. To the point the pain would radiate into my thigh. It didnt swell much, but was warm...

Last reply
  • Trouble maintaining hydration on allopurinol

I've been taking allopurinol for almost 6 months now, and I'm kind of concerned about my hydration levels/kidney function. It seems like I really struggle to stay hydrated even if I skip a dose of allopurinol for a day. My urine is really dark yellow, and water just goes right through me in a...

Last reply
  • Allopurinol and gout attackes

Hi. Any help or advise would be really appreciated please. After having regular gout attacks my doctor has put me on allopurinol. I had to take colchicine for 2 weeks before I started taking one tablet (100mg) of allopurinol per day. I had to continue on the colchince along side the allopurinol for...

Last reply
  • Newly diagnosed Pseudogout Please help

Hi i have just recently been diagnosed with pseudogout . I have had terrible night sweats on and off for as long as i can remember waking up mid winter drenched with sweat to the point of having to change the sheets. Earlyer this year i had two attacks i was unaware of. One being in my shoulder to the...

Last reply
  • Some good news for a change

I suffered terrible gout about four times from Jan - July, took indomethacin, colchicine, you name it. I only got over the last lengthy attack after going on steroids for five days (highly recommended for a short period.) I finally started on allopurinol, 100mg for three weeks with colchicine, then 200mg...

Last reply
  • Pseudo Gout and laser treatment

Anyone had experience with laser treatment (such as Bioflex pads or class IV laser) ? I have used laser for many years and suspect it might be a good approach to helping to stabilize the condition and reduce swelling. This seems to be a non systemic condition in many instances, so laser may be be an...

Last reply
  • Mild gout - is it a real thing?

Hi, I've had a relatively mild burning pain in my knees and other joints that has become gradually more noticeable over the last few years. I went to the doctor recently, and was initially told that because I wasn't experiencing excruciating pain it couldn't possibly be gout. Then after...

Last reply
  • Help avoiding gout on my birthday

Hi all, its my birthday this weekend and will be celebrating with friends over a couple of bottles of red and some nice food. I know that this is likely to flair my gout and I'm looking at medication options to reduce the impact as well as drinking a lots of water to stay hydrated. I am currently...

Last reply
  • Uric Acid

My endocrinologist did a number of blood tests to find the reason for my osteoporosis. During the tests, I ended up with an elevated uric acid of 6.6 I am a 59 y/o post menopause female. Other abnormalities were very high trigs, high cholestorol, slightly elevated calcium and phosphorus..What can I interpret...

Last reply
  • Allopurinol and stomach upset.

I found that allopurinol was upsetting my stomach. I tried hiding the tab in a piece of banana - which had some success, but it's difficult to swallow. More recently I have been swilling a mouthful of water around my mouth and letting the tablet dissolve. I have found this, followed by another glass...

Last reply
  • Intermittent Fasting & Gout

I’ve have been trying this, and logically it could lead to gout flares. After a few weeks and 8 kg weight loss, I’ve had no signs of a flare.  Has anyone any experience of fasting and it’s impact on their gout? 

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.