Recurrence of gout - any ideas?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi there - As background, I got my first gout attack about 5 years ago in the big toe - very painful stuff. After managing my diet for a few months, the gout attacks stopped. For the next few years, I became complacent (drinking beer, eating seafood and not drinking cherry juice - not in excess though).

About 5 weeks ago, I got another gout attack, the first one (I think) for a few years, this time in my left ankle. Since that first attack, I’ve had about 4 attacks since, all on the left ankle joint. All these attacks were quite mild (compared to the first time I got it) - I ate naproxen and colchicine immediately and the pain was gone a few hours later. There is little to no swelling in my ankle and I was able to continue on walking etc.

Since the first attack, I have paid careful attention to my diet again (no alcohol, no red meat, reduced meat, drank cherry juice etc) plus drank cucumber/celery/lemon/ginger smoothies daily. I am wondering why I am still getting these attacks, almost weekly since the first one, albeit relatively mild. Could it be that I am eating something that I think is low in purines but is actually a gout trigger? I have not been able to go get my urid acid levels tested as we are currently in a lockdown due to COVID.

Is there anything you can recommend/suggest as next steps for me? It’s quite frustrating that I am making a significant effort with diet and lifestyle yet the attacks are still coming on. I should also note that prior to the gout attack (which has always occurred early in the morning), my ankle would feel very stiff the night before, and the joint would be sensitivity to touch (but I can still walk and there is no pain otherwise). Also wanted to note that in all attacks since the first one 5 weeks ago, it had rained the day before the attack and was very cold outside (could be just a coincidence?).

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.