Gout Diagnosed and Thought/Idea Finding

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've been stricken and hobbling with MPN related gout?? Yesterday I attended a clinic at hosp. The Consultant diagnosed gout, plus a cellulitis infection and prescribed 4 days, 12 x 500mg, of Colchicine.

Which will deal with the current gout flare up. I also have Polycythaemia Vera Rubra since 2000s and a side effect is gout, partly due to faster red blood cell breakdown, more uric acid, and peripheral blood flows.

Urate was 372 and Urea 5.1, which are in the normal Oxford University Hospital

ranges - 210 - 420 umol/ltr and 3.0-9.2mmol/ltr.I think other ranges include 3.4-7.0 mg/dL, where 6 is considered the start to take allopurinol. Looks like 372 and 6 are about the same at 88 & 85% of the upper limit, so I am right on the cusp. My Docs aren't really considering allopurinol at this stage. And as I am off to France next week till November, I don't really want to start a new drug.

The exact gout mechanism is a bit of a mystery, even with the PV faster red cell demise. The gout flare ups until now, have only happened in the summer heat. In August 2020 in France in 35C and again right foot.

In July 2018, also 38C heat in France, I emailed my Medical Practice with a pic of a swollen and very right foot red middle toe, which we now reckon was gout. I can only think it is local foot dehydration due to heat that is the main trigger. Foot pulses are strong though.

So I am taking steps to mitigate against gout with more hydration and reducing alcohol to 14 UK units a week - I was only just above that with alcohol free days, and checking diet. I think my diet is pretty moderate and balanced. I don't have sweetened fizzy drinks, apart from tonic twice a week. I do have some high purine foods - seafood once a fortnight and fish weekly but I don't think that is excessive.

A runner's forum also mentioned adding sodium bicarbonate to drinking water to buffer the uric acid. I do this when telemark skiing to buffer the thigh lactic acid build up, so I will try the same.

Although hobbling is painful, cycling is OK so I can still get around.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.