Mild symptoms due to gout? stiffness after allopurinol

Posted , 1 user is following.

I wonder if anyone can say that these symptoms are gout because although the doctor says they are, they are not typical by any means.

I spent a number of years with foot pain which happened when I got up. If I sat down for any length of time then I would get pain in one or both of my feet resembling plantar fasciitis. After a few minutes of walking the pain would go away.

Eventually my GP did a blood test, saw the amount of urate or urea in my blood and said "You have gout, I am putting you on allopurinol." (I don't have the blood test results myself). "Plus here are these ultra strong pain killers".

This was a few years ago.

I have not ever needed the pain killers - I never had an attack of pain clearly due to gout either before or after allopurinol. However, since starting on allopurinol the foot pain has gone away - so it seems likely that gout was the cause.

Instead however I am getting stiffness in almost all my joints. I find it very difficult to bend over enough to do my shoe laces up, for example. I can't sit on my heels to get down low enough. (I am approximately 50 in case that helps give you a picture)

This stiffness does not seem to be a common feature of gout that I have heard. I am worried it might be something else.

Plus Diet:

So being slightly overweight I am trying to cut down on food and avoid purine rich foods to help with the gout. I have read up but not made enough changes in my life. Thankfully I never drank much alcohol and so I stopped drinking beer - moving to a rare glass of cider. I do however eat Marmite toast most days and as a yeast extract that is 'high' in purine. How high, I do not know.

Is diet going to make much difference since I am already on Allopurinol? I have not noticed anything like an attack - but then I no longer eat the trigger foods most people describe.

Thanks all. Does this match up with anyone's experience or should I be doing something different?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.