Gout or Injury, and over what period does gout build up / how does it heal

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone

Last year (2020) I experienced what I'm fairly sure was my first gout attack. Now, 9 months later, I am potentially having my second.

To complicate matters, on each occasion the pain has coincided with me doing DIY involving prolonged periods of squatting down with lots of weight on the balls of my feet e.g. stripping wall paper low down. (Doh: I should've learnt the first time to sit on the floor in future instead of squatting).

The first attack was about 10 days after a day of DIY with long periods of squatting. BUT, it was just 1 day after 3 consecutive days of heavy alcohol consumption (first time I'd seen friends in 5 months - poor excuse I admit). So I am about 80% sure that this was gout and due to heavy beer consumption. Although 6 days into the attack, the GP did a blood test and said my uric acid levels were normal.

The 2nd "attack?" is now happening. It came a couple of days after I had finished a week of DIY - about 3 of the DIY days involved long periods squatting low again. ALSO, it was 1 day after I had drank a pint-size can of strong beer (11%) - that was the only beer I had consumed in a week.

I spoke to my GP - annoyingly they still won't do face-to-face appointments. Unsurprisingly she says it could be gout or could be injury but she can't tell over the phone or from photos, QUOTE: "but the good news is that the cure is the same either way". So all she did was prescribe painkillers.

I'm not happy with that response. I acknowledge that the cure may be the same, but the measures that need to be taken to prevent a repeat would be different: Injury prevention is more black and white, gout prevention is less clear/controllable, requires big restrictions on food & drink and it sounds like gout would keep reappearing no matter what.

Finally the questions.......

So why couldn't she have sent me for a Synovial fluid analysis (or other joint fluid analysis) to give a definitive answer? Is this as readily available/doable from a GP surgery as a blood test is?

Over what period do the crystals build up before you feel the pain e.g. Does it happen just a few days after a day where you have consumed a lot of food/drink high in purines? Or conversely, do the crystals build up and up gradually over months until they cross a threshold where you start to feel severe pain?

My dad has the belief that they build up and up over months until they cross a threshold. I struggle to believe that, because if the body hasn't been able to wash away the crystals / uric acid gradually over months, then how on earth is it going to get rid of them all in one go as part of the gout clearing itself?

Thanks for reading

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

The only thing I can offer is that gout isn't just due to alcohol consumption, other factors may place your health at risk. over exercise or your weight can increase these factors. I'm not over weight, nor do I consume alcohol. However I got my gout because of not eating right as we have been walking years without issues. this just occurs and my reason.. drinking too much caffeine sodas or those sodas with high fructose corn syrup. The only thing I can prescribe is find a supplement that help reduces or eliminates the build up of uric acid. As for the Dr. They are only going to tell you only what they want to. I doubt its serious.. if you can get your records (like we did) and seek a second opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.