Gout with Normal Urate Levels.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi All,

Hoping for a little input with this, for the record I'm a reasonably fit male, late 40s, and not overweight with a healthy BMI, etc.

I first had what was considered to be a gout attack some 7-8 years ago in the stereotypical big toe joint, very painful and the GP prescribed Naproxen and basically to keep an eye on what they suspected was gout. I also had maybe 1-2 minor issues with pain in a couple of finger joints, though this was nothing compared with the foot.

After this initial attack I moved to a diet supposedly lower in purines and consumed vast amounts of water, this seemed to work and I was free of any further issues until 12 months ago, at which point I had another attack in my foot, again in the big toe. This attack was much worse and actually lasted several weeks, it eventually settled and I then had subsequent attacks in my other foot affecting several toe joints. The GP prescribed colchicine and Naproxen which helped. Since that attack 12 months ago I have had 3-4 further attacks which I have treated with colchicine. The colchicine does seem to halt things after a couple of days.

I will say that I do have sore feet much of the time, though not anything like the pain I experienced during these suspected gout flares. I do feel like I'm on the edge of an outbreak fairly regularly though, and certain things do seem to exacerbate this.

The GP has suggested moving onto allopurinol and I see the logic in this, but my uric acid levels do confuse the situation. 12 months ago my levels were tested a few weeks after my attack and were 380umol/l, and my most recent set of bloods a few weeks ago (again a few weeks after an attack) were just under 300umol/l. Both these results and especially the most recent set of bloods would suggest I am actually at the desired levels with regards blood urate, and Allopurinol would not be needed.

Has anyone experienced this before with having healthy blood urate levels yet still getting outbreaks? I would think at a urate level under 300umol the crystals would actually be starting to dissolve at this point?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.