Gout or Pseudogout

Posted , 1 user is following.

New to this forum and trying to decide if I have gout or not. My rheumatologist doesn't seem to think it is gout since I do not have typical symptoms like severely swollen, red, hot joint pain. Recently had a dual energy CT scan and no evidence of uric acid crystals but possible CPPD accumulation (pseudogout). When I get attacks, my pain is primarily in my left second toe and metatarsal joints of both feet. Often spreads to soft tissue plantar facia and heels and sometimes up into ankles and or spreading up legs. The pain is like a pinch or prickly with a dull pain from slight inflammation in the joints. My blood uric acid levels have never been high. They were 6.4 when first tested at the onset of pain in Jan, then down to 5 ish then after starting allopurinol down to 4 ish. I used to drink beer regularly but haven't been able to tolerate it since Jan. In my discussions with my rheumatologist, I have asked that if it is not gout, then diet / alcohol shouldn't trigger an attack. Am I right?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.