1st timer

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

Went to urgent care yesterday as I was having extreme abdomen / back pain on my left side. Same thing happened a week prior but it cleared up on its own after a few hours.

Anyhow, doctor suspects diverticula issue. Put me on IV drip of Cipro and some pain med. Now taking Cipro and floxacin. Pain has subsided significantly but still there and occasionally does a brief peak. Hot shower seems to relieve pain. Liquid diet and meds have me feeling weak.

I did have a routine colonoscopy 11 months ago and nothing was reported about diverticula. Is this something that could develop that quickly?

I am also concerned about some of the lengthy recovery times I see reported here. I work as a contractor. If I do not work, I do not get paid. On top of that I have awful Obamacare health insurance ($1600 a month with a $13k deductible before it pays out a dollar). Scary stuff when you have a family to provide for.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear you are poorly I haven't had antibiotics myself but lots of people on here have and from what I have read they alone can make you feel very poorly, im sure somebody on here will be able to help you, What is Obamacare?

• Posted

I am lucky I live in the U.K. and get free care   I have taken antibiotics and it can take a few weeks for you to get back to normal the antibiotics kill off your good bacteria as well as the bad. A probiotic might help   I always have slight pain in my left side I seam to have got used to it   I don't know if it can happen the quick but you never know. I take paracetamol for the pain also fybergel a probiotic tablet every morning. Good luck I hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

Had this issue myself in June. I feel your pain. I had severe pain lower pelvic area, Dr was not in was told to go to ER. They did BW and CT scan. Diverticulitis!! Gave me morphine for pain. Sent me home with RX and liquid diet for 1 week. Can't  take Cipro as had Achilles Tendon rupture, so they gave me Ciprofloxacin  with Flagyl. Gastro Dr. told me to refill and make sure I have meds if I travel. Well, in September had another flare up took one pill and four hours later hives!! So went back to Gastro Dr. told  me I was allergic to Penicillin and all ciprofloxacin!! Gave me sulfa in case of another flare up!! So far all okay, mindful of what I eat... Anxiety level high after all this!! UGH!!!

Don't get me started with ObamaCare!!! Good luck!

• Posted

Mike,

First off I’m sorry you have Obamacare!  I am just finishing up 10 days on ciprofloxacin and metronidrazole and after 2 days the excruciating pain was gone. The occasional discomfort though but up till yesterday I was following the no fiber diet and doing okay. I went 7 weeks with same pain, misread ct scan, back Mri, and two ultrasounds before the gastro has her radiologist read it. The pain is brutal-imagine labor pains 😬. Anyway get to a gastroenterologist and see what can be done.  Did they tell you what foods to avoid?   Really important to follow and not cheat. I  will be having a follow up colonoscopy in a few weeks. Keep us posted. 

• Posted

Mike I had the bid D for 9 years. Been pain free for for seven and half years. I was at my wits end and went to board certified surgeon and he said take Metamucil and he would see me in 20 years. He was spot on and I take it twice per day 2 teaspoonfuls. Once in morning and before bed. Only downfall you will be going often because the psyllium seed main ingredient will flush out your colon  regularly and you will be having all the time. Obviously regular diet and exercise are key and you will figure it out and be back on your feet pan free very soon. Good luck.
  • Posted

Thanks for the feedback. Pain finally subsided and after 3 day liquid diet I started the low fiber diet today. Feeling some slight pain in side but I may just be being paranoid back on solid food. I am supposed to do this for 3 days then switch to high fiber diet. CT scan is scheduled for a week from now.

Yes, healthcare in USA is a disgrace. The norm has become huge premiums and even bigger deductibles. I know so many people putting off tests and surgery because they can't afford the deductibles and co-pays. The irony is that the insurance lobby is so powerful that many of these people still believe that the US private payer system is somehow better than what every other industrialized country on the planet has with single payer. The only beneficiaries are the US insurance company CEOs who are literally compensated hundreds of millions per year at the expense of patients.

• Posted

Mike I think we could start our own blog on Obamacare lol.  Good luck. I too am only in 9 days diagnosed and at times feel pressure. I stayed pretty true for 8 days on what I could eat and last night did Chinese wings and did okay. According to my dr until I have colonoscopy ( not scheduled yet) I am to sat away from fiber. The nurse told me once antibiotics are done to start a probiotic but I want to hear that from the dr. 
  • Posted

Glad you are now on the mend Mike you will still get pain for some time but just be careful what you eat as it will probably be difficult for you to watch what you eat as you are self employed but it is important otherwise you will flare again, once your colon has become inflamed it will be very sensitive. Good bless our NHS here in the UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.