1st Visit to Outpatient PT Rehab

Posted , 7 users are following.

Good evening.

I will be going this Wed., July 25th, for my out-pt PT Rehab appointment. As I understand it, this appointment is regarding tests, measurements, evaluation.

Should I take a generic pain pill ( like tylenol, ibuprophen) prior to this appointment?

Also, I would welcome any thoughts, tips, pointers!

Warmest Aloha!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi there im almost through week 1 after my first physio appointment after cast removal .

im not sure how far on you are regards to if you are out of your cast or wearing a boot ?

on a positive note i found my first physio session great x she basically tested my range of movement pain etc with a lot more questions on general well being .

then she set out a programme of exercises and went through them with me .

she was very gentle took her time and i came away feeling i could now actually start building myself back up !

this group have been amazing reassuring me when i thought my god all i could get was a tremble when trying to bend my knee that it would eventually start to move .

DAY 4 and tadddddddaaaa !! its a whole inch and a half closer to the wall ... still a long way to go before i can touch it with knee but progress is progress !

Regards to pain management i personally didnt take any before physio as i thought it best they get a true picture of my pain levels when putting foot ankle through any exercise .

i did however pop a couple paracetamol on leaving the appointment and ice / elevated when i got home xxxx good luck on your first appointment xxxxxxx

• Posted

Wow, Tracy! Thank you for the very encouraging report and helpful info! So, now, I will begin to change my mindset from dreading my appt. to looking forward to it! Whewww

Best, Di

• Posted

the answer to your question is no. the first day is to get information about your injury, check the measurement of the ankle and check the progression of the ankle week by week. physical therapy will help your ankle well by also you will have to do it at home also. doing your abc's , rolling your foot on top of a tennis ball, using a towel to lift your foot up and down from side to side. all these will help with mobility of the ankle until you start weight bearing.

• Posted

Hi Diane, i keep away from ibuprofen as it stops your bone from healing but other medications is fine .

• Posted

Many thanks to all. All of your input makes sense and is very encouraging.

Best regards, Di

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.