1year on and still struggling with A FIB

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello fellow afibers, am still struggling with this nasty little thing and have days when am not coping at all. Its not just  the phsical side but also the mental problems . I have always suffered wit anxiety and this has mad it all so much worse.In the begining i lost a lot of weight as had a bad reaction to meds so that has made my confidence be at an all time low. When i get a good day its so good to do normal things but you never know when these will come from day to day.Although in my sixtys i have a wonderfull partner but we are not in a phsicall relationship as both worry about how it wil affect me . I would be very gratefull for any tips or supportas feel very alone with this . kind regards April

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi April.

I hear you......but you cant let AF beat you. You have to live your life. Sex is not going to kill you!

Reassure you husband and get some much needed stress relief - you will both benefit!

• Posted

Hi April I totally understand how you feel. Anxiety with A Fib seems to go hand in hand. Are you taking any kind of meds for it? Have you tried counselling to learn coping skills? I've had it for 7 years now and I'm 58. I had to learn to use my mind to convince myself that I can function fairly normally when having an attack. I'm more successful at this now then I used to be. I took lots of practise. I still don't like the feeling and/or symptoms it gives me but I'm now determined for ME to control my AFib NOT Afib controlling me. I carefully watch the foods I eat as this is a MAJOR factor that is why I do the FODMAP diet and stress too triggers stomach issues which are my nemesis and cause problems. As far as relations with my husband go l figure if I'm gonna go.... this would be be the altimate don't you think lol. KIDDING! You won't die from doing that with Afib smile So I sure don't let that get in the way. I try to make light of it all as it can and will get you down if you let it. I joke about it as much as possible. Not many people can brag that they hold a record for the most cardioversions in one day but I can lol. And I'm still here to tell the tale. Your still here breathing kicking loving and sharing your life with others and that is most important. We are all here for you don't forget that. Hugs.

• Posted

Hi Sandi you are the person that inspired me to tackle this awful AF and inprove my life by diet and positive thinking so a big thank you 😊

• Posted

Hi April I was the same as you I dreaded anything that was physical in case it brought a af episode on , rang an ambulance every time my heart started racing , even the dentist was a nightmare in case , in fact I stopped everything ' just in case ' but after being given advise on here about fodmap diet , more water, lose weight, stay calm , I feel I'm more in control, I still get days when I feel worried sick but those ideas I put into practice have helped , I had a really bad fall 9 week ago had to go to hospital, I was dreading going into Af ... but nothing 👍 Follow the advise on here from ppl who are dealing with it and doing it well , I'm 69 by the way so no spring chicken , if you haven't learnt about the Vagus nerve give it a rest on here , good wishes for you and I hope you get the help you need on here , hugs Bea x

• Posted

Hi April,

The advice on here is excellent, take things easy and relax. Sex is the best exercise for relaxation and brings in special hormones to help you mentally and physically.

The diet advice is good too. I have been afib free since Christmas (just test odd flutter bout), but I am watching my food, no processed, drink only water and eat its of fruit, vegetables, seeds, nuts and dairy.

I also take lots of exercise like walking etc 😏 and I am your age.

The bottom line - relax.

• Posted

Hi Gwen , Thank you for your reply, can you tell me how long you have had afib and are you on any medication , kind regards April x
    • Posted

Hi April, I've had afib on and off for 16 years and was diagnosed about 5 years ago with persistent afib. I've had two ablation, the second in March 2016 and was deemed ok enough to come off meds last November. Since then I have been having bouts of flutter and put back on Amiodaron and Bisoprolol, but of course would rather be off the drugs and will wait until later in the year to see if another ablation would be advised. Best wishes x

• Posted

Hi April

I share all your anxieties. I think you may be able to take the physical side of things relatively easy. Just try not to get over, or near your max heart rate, which is 200 minus your age. So in your case, keep it below 130BPM. 

Also, have you tried any supplements like Magnesium and multi vits and minerals? 

T

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.