1yr post lumbar l3-s1 fusion and discectomy, hamstrings are very tight. Nothing I do relaxes them.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone here experienced super tight hamstrings post back surgery? No matter what you do in physical therapy or stretching it either does nothing or makes the hamstrings tighter? They are constantly firing and I can't get my low back and glute muscles to engage and work the way that they should. Very frustrated, have you had this problem and any solutions? Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Getting you an answer...back soon...
    • Posted

My daughter is a graduate nutritionist and an ACSM and ACE-certified personal trainer for over 16 years.  American College of Sprots Medicine is the hardest certification to get...two years of study and a lot of exams.  She also has 16 American Council of Exercise certs in thinks like kickboxing, water aerobics, yoga, spinning and more.  Studied anatomy and physiology for her degree; worked as a graduate assistant to the Department of Nutrition on graduation and was the personal trainer for the Rutgers University NCAA men's basketball team for a year.  Enough qualifications?  So here's her advice...

"Has he been to a chiropractor? He might be so out of alignment that it's pulling and keeping his hip flexors and the rest super tight. Acupuncture might help to release those extreme knots and get his energy flow back."

Bon apetit...for free...

• Posted

Thank you, Chiro prior to sx and fusions same with acupuncture. My pt has used a type of acupuncture on me called a dolphin? I've also had myofascial therapy. I asked about Chiro but I'm afraid with all the hardware and how fixed I am from l3-s1 I won't get much relief. But I will ask again. My hip flexors are loose and I have really good rom in my hips. I was extremely flexible prior to sx, I always have been so this is very new to me. I drink a ton of water, little to no alcohol. I train with a Pilates instructor2-3xs a week. I hope to get more answers this week. I appreciate you replying. I'll let you know if anything new and interesting comes about. 

• Posted

I found a chiropractor with a lot of experience with fusion patients.  She knows what to do and I trust her.  I also have a great neuro.  Going in for another op on March 24, 2017.  Developed bilateral stenosis in L2/L3 above my fusion.  Instead of removing all the hardware and refusing me L2-S1, a General Surgeon is going to open a "path" to my spine from the side.  Then the neuro slides in a new EXPANDABLE spacer from the side, uses an Allen wrench and cranks it open (like a jack lifting a car) relieving all the pressure on the nerves.  Instead of the long hospital stay and rehab, this is a one-night stayover, immediate pain relief and zero rehab.  Works on 80% of patients...hope that's me.  The stenosis is like having sciatica down BOTH legs...since October.  Can't wait to get this done!!!

• Posted

Good luck.  I hope I am done with sx for a very long time. Keep us posted on your recovery and I hope the sx does exactly what it's supposed to do. 

• Posted

Have you tried cotescoid injections?

• Posted

No, I see my pain management Dr this week. I plan to discuss this with him and my pt has also sent him a report since she is concerned that we have not been able to make any headway.  Seems like it's common with low back problems to have tight hammies. I'm not sure if a nerve is impinged? If the signals are misfiring neurologically? Very frustrating.

• Posted

Ye I agree get your self a good chiropractor and acupuncture, good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.