2 1/2 weeks after rectocele surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello Ladies!

Recently, I had an ovary removed due to a dermoid tumor and also had my rectocele repaired due to a genetic abnormality (had to have episiotomy due to not having children). The first week was really, really difficult pain wise, but by week two, I felt I was starting to improve. The first week and a half, I had a lot of discharge. BM's that first week we're painful and frustrating, but my bowel function has started to be normal again, which was the main reason for the rectocele surgery. My bowel movements actually slide out, which is amazing to me.

I am taking Percocet here and there, depending on the pain level. I am halving the dose. I am trying to rest as much as possible. Binge watched "Call the Midwife" and that helped keep me mentally occupied that first week. I am still aching and feel very burny down there, especially if I sit for long periods. I just went for my two week post op and he said all seemed normal.

As I am almost at week three, I am wondering a few things. One, how long does the pain last from the episotomy and the rectocele? I want to go on vacation at some point during my summer break, so getting an idea of recovery would be helpful. Doctor said six weeks I would be 90 percent healed up. Is this an accurate timeline?

Also, I am quite bored as I cannot sit for long in order to get engrossed in any activity that I enjoy, since my bum still hurts. Anyone relate?

Maybe I just need reassurance or someone to socialize with. Either way, thanks in advance for answering.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yep! 6 weeks sounds right. I had rectocele and perineum repair and felt 99% normal by 6 weeks. If you feel okay with it, now is a good time to be walking 1+ miles per day. This will help with circulation to promote healing, ensure good scar tissue formation, and keep your energy level up.

I had some perineum pain around 2-3 weeks post-op too, and found that gentle massage with coconut oil helped.

I'm so glad to hear about your improvements since surgery. Awesome!

I hope you do enjoy your summer!

• Posted

Honestly, one or more miles is a lot for me right now. I did about a quarter mile around the block today. It will get easier with time though. Yesterday, I saw the doctor, who is almost two hours away. While my partner did drive, sitting in the car that long, there and back, set me back a little bit in the pain department. Thank you for he response, Alaska. 😃

• Posted

Absolutely. We all go at our own pace. It's great that you're walking. Sorry the car ride set you back, but I bet you'll be two steps forward in no time. Do what you can--you will eventually feel normal! Feel free to connect again if you just need to chat or anything. Warm thoughts to you!

• Posted

i had the same. first two weeks were awful pain wise for me. by 6 weeks i felt normal but still had restricted movement and sitting or standing or periods of time was challenging. by 8 weeks it was improving and by 12 i finally felt like me again.

its a hard op with a long recovery but you will get there. take one day at a time. rest is central to recovery. wishing you a speedy recovery and a lovely holiday

• Posted

That is good to know! I appreciate both your reply and Alaska's. Makes me feel less alone and more informed. Thank you!

• Posted

Well, I am on week 4 now, folks. As I rarely take pain medicine now, except Naproxen occasionally, I have become more aware of the laparoscopic surgical areas. Specifically the muscles in my abdomen and ovarian area. Doing much of anything that requires pulling or pushing quickly reminds me that I am still on the mend and need to quit. Also, I still cannot seem to get past more than walking a half a mile. It's not that I do not have the desire, but when I try, 'down there' starts to become really irritated and I have to stop. Still having very minor discharge with a slight odor, but not as bad as in the first few weeks. That was yuck!

Oh, and my partner and I looked 'down there.' RED! I kinda freaked, but my partner said it looked better than he thought it would. Post-Op appt is tomorrow, so I will be able to see if my Frankengina is healing up right. By the way, I got that from Lynn Beisner's blog, "How I Learned to Love my Frankengina; Recovering sexual functioning after surgery." Google it. It's hilarious, and all too relatable.

I have found that it is difficult for me to repress my urges to bend over and pick things up or clean them. I guess I never really realized how much actually needs to be cleaned or picked up on the floor all the time. I stare at little pieces of paper, or dog bowls, or whatever else is on the floor; walk by it repeatedly going from here to there, until I simply have to bend over and get whatever it is or it will drive me crazy. Bending over does not feel very good, as many of you have stated.

I have found that if I drink prune juice prior to going to bed, things work well in the morning. I also tried Senna tea, and that worked great, except things felt a bit acidic going down the pipe when I used both. I think both will work for me if I alternate them each night. I do not have to take a stool softener or a laxative anymore. It still feels irritated when I take a BM, but I am guessing thats because whatever is coming out is rubbing next to the surgical area. Beats the heck outta my first BM after the surgery. After all I went through to successfully deliver that BM at day four, I wanted to give it a name.

Doctor mentioned at previous visit that I could try a Betadine douche for the odor. Has anyone tried this out while they were healing up? Also, just curious if anyone was able to drive for extended periods at the 9-week post-surgery mark. I am going on vacation at that point and am driving about six hours total to get to my destination, which I am splitting up between two days.

• Posted

Update. Doc told me that the stitches from one side of my episiotomy came loose and open wound will need to heal. That's why the redness and continued pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.