2 1/2 year old TKR is sturdy but still feels swollen

Posted , 4 users are following.

had a clot form behind knee after surgery, and found by accident more than a year later that the operated leg is 1 cm longer!  Have small 1/2 cm inserts to put in shoes and got sandals fitted with addition to heel.  But still have pain after exercise, even light swimming, although it feels great to be able to kick more strongly. Anyone else with lasting puffiness or pain at night down backs of legs.  My unoperated leg has been taking all the weight!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you been able to get back to a physical therapist and discuss your situation your current condition. I suspect the clotting (assuming it has completely cleared) has caused some long term , (not permanent) nerve damage and should be analyzed by a medical professional. Normal complete healing is considered about a year but each additional problem stretches out that period. Possibly another visit to the surgeon would be in order.
    • Posted

Had some physio, and they commented that they had corrected my walk a bit, and you'd never know I had a replaced knee.  But you can see the swelling above and on the outside particularly.  A scan showed a bit of fluid, but not enough they felt, to put in a needle and withdraw it, but that is exactly what I would like done!  Think I will take your advice and see surgeon again.  He does not know yet that the leg is longer!!! Thanks
    • Posted

One of the concerns about aspiration it seems, infection. The more they do the more the risk. If it is fluid chances are it will break down with excercise. Try some deep massage with vit A oil using your thumbs. Its very healing
  • Posted

I'm a short person and I always joked and said that I was going to ask the surgeon f he can make me a little taller. If you have to get your other one done maybe the can even it out. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.