2 1/2 years after orif surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had surgery January 12, 2017. 11 screws and a plate. Everything was going fine. Then i started exercising and swimming class about six months ago.

My ankle started hurting and swelling again recently. Went to see the doctor and he’s planning on another surgery to remove hardware. It was so devastating and depressing first time. Does anyone know what to expect after hardware removal?

0 likes, 10 replies


10 Replies

  • Posted

    i broke my ankle on june 23 rd 2018. its been a year for me i hurt a lot. im in water aerobics and it helps. i try not to overdue. i was a on the go person all the time so its been really difficult. i have been in pt off and on a year. my left big toe doesnt move still as much as i want. i have two plates and nine screws. i have had isdues with hardware since day one. im considering having mine removed. please keep me up on how it goes. i would wait till summer was over personally

    Report Reply
  • Posted

    Hello. I had my hardware removed on June 24,2017.

    I still have pain in it. And my ankle is hard to move up &

    down It just moves a little bit still. But I'm hanging in there.

    I don't have any swelling. Be careful after surgery, I got a infection while I was in the hospital. Had to stay in 21 more days with 24 hour IV. Check with your doctor on why you have swelling, It maybe from over doing it. I hope you get

    better soon. Thank you Veronica

    Report Reply
  • Posted

    As I keep saying, ask for a blood test to see if you have inflammation markers and high white cell count which would indicate infection (as I did). My metalwork was simply to fuse the three arthritic bones in my ankle, not for a fracture. I feel that if I can banish the bugs from my metalwork sites - a month of antibiotics - I should be okay as the foot seems to be functioning okay even though I still have stitches on each side of it, ten days after the operation. Pain is now minimal.

    Report Reply
  • Posted

    Not for a good few months but I was taking steroids for another condition (polymyalgia) which may have masked the it . But it hit very dramatically one night with a high fever and extreme pain and swelling - red and purple skin rash etc - which was presumably when the bugs burst out of their hiding place in the metal work and got into my bloodstream...... you want to avoid that! One reason my surgeon (poor confused man) didn't want to go in and operate was that I had also ruptured the achilles tendon on that leg and he thought operating on removing the metalwork would jeopardise that healing. It was all a bit complicated but I could have lost my life/foot with that infection - luckily they found the right antibiotic in time,

    Report Reply
  • Posted

    one week after hardware removal went on the bike trail for 1 mile walk. wore my sneakers.

    i used the boot only one day. l'm feeling good

    good luck

    Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up