2 1/2 years after orif surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had surgery January 12, 2017. 11 screws and a plate. Everything was going fine. Then i started exercising and swimming class about six months ago.

My ankle started hurting and swelling again recently. Went to see the doctor and he’s planning on another surgery to remove hardware. It was so devastating and depressing first time. Does anyone know what to expect after hardware removal?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

i broke my ankle on june 23 rd 2018. its been a year for me i hurt a lot. im in water aerobics and it helps. i try not to overdue. i was a on the go person all the time so its been really difficult. i have been in pt off and on a year. my left big toe doesnt move still as much as i want. i have two plates and nine screws. i have had isdues with hardware since day one. im considering having mine removed. please keep me up on how it goes. i would wait till summer was over personally

• Posted

oh my goodness, I sure hope that the removal of hardware is going to relieve all the pain and discomfort. its important to exercise and swim. I think removing them is a good thing sometimes. good luck to you.

• Posted

Hello. I had my hardware removed on June 24,2017.

I still have pain in it. And my ankle is hard to move up &

down It just moves a little bit still. But I'm hanging in there.

I don't have any swelling. Be careful after surgery, I got a infection while I was in the hospital. Had to stay in 21 more days with 24 hour IV. Check with your doctor on why you have swelling, It maybe from over doing it. I hope you get

better soon. Thank you Veronica

• Posted

they use vancomycin cement and fill holes now to prevent risk of infection I'm in process to get done and asked because my body is rejecting hardware. I ended up with cellulitis 2 1/2 years later. 😦

• Posted

As I keep saying, ask for a blood test to see if you have inflammation markers and high white cell count which would indicate infection (as I did).My metalwork was simply to fuse the three arthritic bones in my ankle, not for a fracture. I feel that if I can banish the bugs from my metalwork sites - a month of antibiotics - I should be okay as the foot seems to be functioning okay even though I still have stitches on each side of it, ten days after the operation. Pain is now minimal.

• Posted

im going to see my primary doctor, i have no Symptoms of an infection did you?

• Posted

Not for a good few months but I was taking steroids for another condition (polymyalgia) which may have masked the it . But it hit very dramatically one night with a high fever and extreme pain and swelling - red and purple skin rash etc - which was presumably when the bugs burst out of their hiding place in the metal work and got into my bloodstream...... you want to avoid that! One reason my surgeon (poor confused man) didn't want to go in and operate was that I had also ruptured the achilles tendon on that leg and he thought operating on removing the metalwork would jeopardise that healing. It was all a bit complicated but I could have lost my life/foot with that infection - luckily they found the right antibiotic in time,

• Posted

hardware removed this am. feeling great

• Posted

hardware removed this am. feeling great

• Posted

one week after hardware removal went on the bike trail for 1 mile walk. wore my sneakers.

i used the boot only one day. l'm feeling good

good luck

• Posted

How are you feeling now? I am contacting my surgeon tomorrow as I think I may need hardware removed. It's been 3 years and I seem to be getting worse. Pain, swelling, balance hasn't come back completely, can't truly run or react quickly if I need to turn and go back the other way... I've been just dealing but now seriously considering this. TIA

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.