2 1/2 years and now Trochanteric Pain Syndrome?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had TRHR April 2016 after shattering my femur head during the Ecuador earthquake.  My surgery was done in Quito,Ecuador and was on par or better than anything that would of been performed in the United States, where I am from.  That said...now 2 1/2 years later and a very active 2 years, I am experiencing what seems to be Trochanteric pain syndrome in the opposite leg(left).  Has anyone had this condition and what helped you through the pain and discomfort?  

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There is an excellent article about it here in Patient. 

https://patient.info/health/hip-problems/greater-trochanteric-pain-syndrome-trochanteric-bursitis

I have experienced GTPS in both hips post THR at age 68, although it was significantly worse in my THR leg. I had a second hip surgery at age 69 to repair torn gluteal tendons in the THR hip, and at the same time they did a bursectomy. GTPS pain in the greater trochanter area has been much better since the bursectomy, but I still have the type of GTPS pain that goes down the side of my thigh starting at the greater trochanter, probably due to many little tears in the muscle/connective tissue along there. Have that in both legs. It is common in older people like me, since older tissues don't heal as well as those in younger people. I am not super active, but I walk a lot, and am not willing to walk less, so it always hurts. 

Hope the article gives you ideas that might help, Alan!

• Posted

Thank you for this excellent feedback AnnieK.  The Dr. had said he saw many small tears during my last ultrasound in the muscle and connecting tissue along my left thigh down to my knee.  No real injury that I can think of but I do cut a rug now and then 😜.  The article is very insightful, thanks again.

• Posted

You are very welcome! Those many small tears can add up to a big pain. My sister, who is in her 60's and not very active, also has that pain going down the sides of her thighs. My husband, who is 71 and much more active than my sister and me, does not. Who knows why some people have this and others don't. Be gentle with your thighs for awhile, and hopefully you will heal.

I am going on a 3 week vacation soon, and will be walking miles every day in natural areas. Will be hiking on a wilderness island for 11 days - only walking allowed - sometimes up to 8 or 9 miles a day on beaches and in woods. Yes, it will hurt more, but it doesn't hurt when I am sitting, and I am bringing a camp chair. I find that 1000 mg of acetaminophen taken up to 4 times a day helps when I am more active.

Keep cutting up those rugs!

• Posted

Sounds like a great vacation planned, not the Galapagos by chance?  My wife and I stayed in Ecuador even after the terrible earthquake, mainland tho.  We look forward to a similar vacation, time will tell.  I will rest from dancing on the bar for a bit of it helps the pain.  But life is too short  to not to cut a rug, even on the bar, now and again.  So acetaminophen it is. Cheers!
    • Posted

Not the Galapagos, but the Leelanau Peninsula of northwest Michigan. We'll be on North Manitou Island for 11 days in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Gorgeous country! Will spend the rest of the trip on the mainland.

How scary it must have been during and after that earthquake, especially since you got so seriously injured. I'm glad you got such superior medical care there. And you even stayed on for awhile afterwards!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.