2.5 weeks after ORIF and foot still goes purple when i put it down.

Posted , 61 users are following.

Hi i broke my talus,fibula and tibia climbing about a month ago. Had to wait 2 weeks for ORIF and now I'm soon 3 weeks post op. I'm fitted with a plate and a few screws.

Everytime i have to put my foot down it goes purple which makes it really uncomfortable. I thought that would dissapear with the swelling going down but apparently that's not the case. Does anyone know if it is likely to improve over the coming weeks?

Not being able to move around is really killing me as i'm very active. 

Thanks 

4 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am 1 month post Tibia, fiblia, & talis surgery. My ankle is purple it worried me till I started reading all the posts. Now I see folks post that they are 6+ months out. That took the wind out of my sales surgeon told me 6 to 8 weeks for me to heal I am a land surveyor I need to get back to work I got to provide for my family I can't be out much longer. I know there is nothing anybody can do it just breaks me down like a double barrel to see all these people that have been through what I'm going through having to be laid up for so long.

• Posted

i just broke my fibula and ankle on July 4th. i too need to hurry up and get back to work. How long after your surgery did you return back to work?

• Posted

A forklift ran over my left foot at my work in December I had ORIF metatarsals surgery in January I am still unable to walk I started therapy a couple of weeks ago. I use crutches to get around and when I hang my foot it gets purple it's been nearly 5 months and my foot still gets purple. Anyone know why this keeps happening my doctor in the ortho clinic says she doesn't know 😧 and the PT says she doesn't know either...

• Posted

Hi Sunil,

I fractured 3 metatarsals and after 8 weeks finally have a moon boot on. I still cant put my foot on the ground and my foot has been darker than the other foot for the whole 9 weeks. Not sure why this is. I would also like to know.

Good luck in your recovery.

• Posted

Thanks my wife went to the hospital today and spoke to the ortho doctor she said when I attend my next clinic appointment they'll see what's going on with my foot the doc also said it can be one of the veins in my foot is squeezing and I had really bad soft tissue damage when I went into the er...good luck with your recovery also and if you find out anything also please do share...

• Posted

My son suffered a fractured fibula and dislocated ankle six weeks ago and must undergo further surgery due to a further dislocation supposedly post operative! He is in a walker boot so is able to see the foot. It turns purple when not elevated. He is a footballer so it is killing him not being able to move either. Any suggestions on how to prevent purpleness
  • Posted

I am at 2 months and just started partial weight bearing, any guidance as to when the foot going purple when down  will subside? I have a plate and 8 screws...
  • Posted

Hi Johanna I had an orife in March and sometimes my foot goes a light purple. And is painful in hot and cold weather also.

• Posted

Hello Joanna, I had a work accident on March 11th and suffered a Lisfranc break/dislocation the ER dr. said it's one of the worst foot accidents one can have and on March 22nd I had ORIF surgery I now have 5 stainless steel screws in my right foot.

Today I'm 4 days short for 2 months after surgery and of course i still can't put any weight on my foot for another month . Very important for no weight on the injured foot due to the damaged ligaments t take longer to heal than the bones.

My pain after surgery lasted for about a week and of course I had the feeling of needles burning sensations and everything else that comes after surgery. We have to remember that first we experience the trauma of the injury and then the trauma of the surgery . The incisions cause some damage and it takes time for our body to heal , of course everybody is different and age is a factor as well. I am 60 years old and self employed and this has taken a big toll in my life everything changed in a split second.

My ortho dr../surgeon told me this is a life changing accident and now I know what he meant by it.

I have read the posts and I'm very happy I found this site, we all can share our stories and help each other.

I have noticed that everybody has the problem with the discoloration and swelling of the injured foot when standing and when elevated it goes back to almost normal. I have the same problem as well 8 weeks after surgery and some swelling as well.

the skin around the incisions is still very sensitive and in some areas it is numb. The dr. told me that will return with time but sometimes not 100%. I have requested an appointment with my ortho surgeon to ask about the discoloration problem and any other questions that I may have. As soon as I have some answers i will share them with all of you and I hope it will be helpful.

I know that this is may be a frustrating and long journey and we all have suffered different injuries but we all have something in common we all want to get back on our feet and back into our normal lives. Stay positive, exercise even sitting, good nutrition is very important and I have supplemented with good quality protein smoothies and PT is super important.

Good luck to all of you and I will be back when I have news with the very common problem with the redness and swelling.

• Posted

hi guys. new to all this but here goes. I was 32 weeks pregnant when i was in a car crash did both sides of my ankle and my tibia. it was also dislocated two. so here goes due to pregnancy I refused operation of orif bone graft and also pin plates. this was Oct 2018. I gave birth dec 24th to a healthy baby girl. thank God. which ment they had left me in a cast non weight bearing I went back on the 16th Jan 19 to which they said its healing and you may have a walking boot great I thought. anyway 26th Feb came and they told me no sorry we didnt look at your xray right and you now need the operation as it is a non union.. how did the operation go please for yourselfs. and how long did it take the operation etc. and has anyone had the orif bone graft pins and plates and has they been any complications when the OP was successfully finished. I'm 30 and have lung disease and have anemia so I'm having to have it done awake so very paranoid and petrified please reply thank you

• Posted

not sure who is still looking at this site because a lot posted more than a year ago, but wanted to just say it helped me. I am 4 weeks post op ORIF medial and lateral malleoli. I was searching for information on whether it was normal for my foot to be a redish purple. Sounds like it is. Spent the first few weeks feeling sorry for myself, but know that is not productive. There are a lot of things that could be worse. I am not used to sitting around. Also, getting a little tired of explaining to people that I am not "enjoying the summer off" from work. I am actually missing the summer. Oh well, I think people just don't know what to say . Anyway, thank you to all have shared here. It has been helpful to me. Patience is not one of my virtues. I just have to remember that there is no way to rush the process,

• Posted

Hello so happy I seen your post.

makes me feel better.

How are you doing now.?

I'm 2 weeks from op.

and very depressed trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

it's very hard being at the mercy of other people .

Hope to hear from you.

Kelly.

• Posted

hi johanna, wow, your story is almost exactly the same as mine! was climbing, fell, broke lateral and medial malleolus, as well as talus. my surgery was just about 2 weeks ago. i still get swelling/pain with my ankle down just to go to the bathroom. i cannot use knee scooter yet, because it hurts. i used to exercise 6 days week (HIIT, weight training, hiking, tennis). no advice to add, other than what has already been said, but more here just to commiserate

• Posted

I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been researching the healing process after a trimalleolar break with dislocation. I had a boating accident about 3.5 weeks ago and my poor right ankle was hanging by skin off to the side. I know have 2 plates, 10 screws and a bond graft. Recovery has been slow and painful with a lot of spasms, tingling, burning and instant color change to a dusky purple when I put my foot down even for a moment. It's been hard psychologically for sure...i'm someone who moves a LOT and I still have small children in the house. As an RN, I expected some of what i've experienced in recovery but am surprised by the extent of sensation and spasms. Sleep is fairly nonexistent. I have myself on a strict schedule of ibuprofen and tylenol and that helps. I try not to take the big guns unless I really need to, especially for spasms.

They did say I will ski this year. I'm hoping they were not false promises. I'm anxious to get my boot and be able to weight bear some and to start PT. Thanks for the community even though I don't really want to be part of the club. hahaha

• Posted

Hello.I hope your feeling better.

I also have the same injury it's been 2 weeks.

the spasms are horrible.

Please share how you are doing and what helped.

Kelly

• Posted

Kelly,

I may have replied to the wrong folks earlier but check out the closed group on facebook....broken ankle on a quest for normal. You might find it really helpful!

I had this ORIF injury back in May 2018...it has been a long haul. I'm in my 50's though but am walking pretty well now! The closed group might help a lot as many have had this same injury!

Francesca

• Posted

Francesca,

Thank you for replying. I will join the group.I'm also in my 50's .

so happy to hear your doing much better.

Definitely will be a long road ahead.

Best Regards,

Kelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.