2.5 Weeks since Gastric Sleeve in Le Harve, France - My Experience

Posted , 10 users are following.

It has been 2.5 weeks since I went to Le Harve in France to have a sleeve operation to reduce the size of my stomach. 

I am back home, and I'm starting to feel better. In that time I have lost almost 2 stone. Naturally, some of that will be tissue, but a majority of it is thanks to eating very very small portions of food.

You will be able to find the company in question by searching for Le Harve bariatric surgery. Their website is surprisingly old looking, but contains the information you need, including current prices. 

I am a man in my early 40s attracted to this service because they do not require a high BMI for surgery. My BMI was between 32 and 33, and they accepted me after discussions with the consultant.

I paid something in the region of £6,000 for the operation which included hotel stays and hospital treatment during the period. A British private hospital would not except me with a BMI of under 35, and their fee would be something in the region of £11,000.

Overall, my experience was positive even through there were some moments I'd not rather re-live!

I arrived at Paris airport and was taken by taxi to my hotel in le Harve. After two days of minor tests, I had the operation on the Wednesday, and arrived back at my hotel on the Friday for an overnight stay. On the Saturday morning the consultant visited me in my hotel room, undertook some checks, and explained various medicines, and I was taken by taxi back to the airport in Paris.

It is only 2 1/2 weeks since I've had the operation, but I think I am pleased that I've undertook it; only time will tell! 

I am happy to receive any personal messages through this site if you would like further details of my experience with the consultant, or any of the other staff from this firm. If you are in a similar position to me with a low BMI, I am pretty sure you would not regret bariatric surgery.

3 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there DaveyE...i hope you are recovering well now and your keeping good. I am also considering having this done following a slipped gastric band which i had to have removed a year ago. I feel this surgery would be more solid and more long term. Im keen to find out how you are now abd your finding your new life post surgery. Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Sarah,  

It's not good to hear about your band.  

Yes, the sleeve is more solid and there's no turning back!  I've now lost 34lbs in a month.  I am limited in what I can eat and the portions, as I can't eat too much without feeling really full.  I'm not hungry as they've removed a hunger hormone, but I feel my tummy is a little acidic, so that reminds me when to eat.  I had a BMI of 33 at the op, so well under the NHS guidelines and the UK private system, so I had to choose another EU country.  It is certainly a way of loosing weight for years, so I'm told by longer-term sleeve patients.  

I'm still trying to find what I can and cannot eat, but I'm getting there.  

What's your thoughts regarding the next steps in your journey?

Thanks,

Dave

• Posted

Hi there. I've been seriously thinking about a sleeve operation vs a band but my main concern when getting it done abroad is after care. Do you have someone who will monitor your progress / health in the UK? Thanks

• Posted

HI Alex70759

I've replied a few things to Sara2424 as you can see, but you're right to worry about the after care, as it's pretty non-existent from my French setting.

However, I'm REALLY pleased with the help I'm getting from the UK NHS.  When I left France, I was given a load of paperwork which was supposed to help me with a diet and supplements to buy over the internet etc., and clinical details of the operation itself.  I was not happy with that, so I went straight to my GP and handed him all of the paperwork and said "help me please."  He was GREAT and I was given relevant pills to help me recover from the op. and I've been to see the Tier 3 and 4 Acute bariatric staff at my local hospital.   They were non-judgmental and have given me a new diet which is really simple and effective.  I have their direct contact details if there's a problem.  

So, in essence, I'm getting full NHS support.  Remember, the NHS are there to help you recover, whatever the circumstance.  They'll want to help you.

If you have any further question, please write to this page, and I'll try to write back asap.

Thanks,

Dave.

• Posted

Thanks so much for responding Dave. I really appreciate it. Ive been reading some really good reviews on Trust pilot on a hospital in Prague as well. But as you said you're at the mercy of the NHS when you get back. I was also looking at "the hospital group" here in the UK and reviews are not the best on aftercare. Did you have trouble adjusting to your new dietc? For me I think the most difficult thing will be giving up diet fizzy drinks otherwise I'm not too bothered as I don't go our much. Sorry one more question. How soon after the operation are you able to fly long hall? Thanks again Alex

• Posted

Im definetly going to have the sleeve need more long term and reliable. Band doesnt have it. Far to ity bity needs lotts of appts and fills and defills too needy really. Im so excited as im hoping to have it done b 4 end of yr but its getting away for the week is hard with sml kids.

How are you managing now? Still dropping weight. How r you feeling on general now?

I woukd not recommend the band to anyone at all...no point there not long term.. was reading of a person who required an mri scan nd because he has the and in needed the exact code of his band and port b 4 he coukd continue. ..bad news really.

• Posted

Hi Sarah are you going to France for this? Thanks Alex
    • Posted

Hi alex. Im not totally sure just yet ..ice been doing a lof of enquiries into lots of places so far prague an belguim plus france are all on the radar really. How about you alex are you any wiser as to what you think you will get done?

Thanks

• Posted

I'm not sure yet. My bmi is 34.7. I have an under active thyroid which is controlled by medication. I have been struggling with my weight for many years but it has got worse over the last 2 years. I think that the adjustment in diet after the operation scares me a bit 😥. Its such a huge change in lifestyle. On the other hand I hate the way I look and can't even bare looking in the mirror and sadly "relations" with my other half have been non existing for quite some time. I figure that I still have to do more research. I'd like to hear how you get on if that's OK. Thanks

• Posted

Hello Sarah2424,

Thanks for your message.  Yes, I think the sleeve is the way forward.  The band is clearly good for some people, but not for me.  

I can see that you will have a problem getting away from the children for a week; it is tough.  But, if you go abroad, there's no other way.  

I am still losing weight: I've lost 3 stones is 6 weeks.  I'm still eating a FRACTION of my previous over-eating. I simply can't eat much.   It's tricky in a social situation, as I had the reputation of clearing others' plates!  However, it's not too bad, really!

In general, I'm in much much smaller clothes.  I'm in clothes I've not worn for some 6 years, if not longer.  I've been trying to dress in larger clothes so friends don't see how quickly I've slimmed down: it works.  

I feeling pretty good.  Being 3 stone lighter, I'm feeling better with my knees, I've stopped snoring and don't wake up in the night needing the loo or to catch my breath.  

I hope that helps?  Please write again if you have more questions, and I'll do my best to answer right away.

Thanks,

Dave

• Posted

Thanks for all the info....its great to know all of this. YOUR DOING AMAZING!! Great feeling you must have wearing clothes you havent been able to fit into. I was just wondering if you went over there on your own or did you have company? I will probably be on my own..in fact im pretty certain of it and do wonder how you felt being on ur own. If you regret bringing someone with you or not? Also do your family and friends know you had the surgery? Thanks for all the info so far as its very helpful to me.

Ps is there any foods your not able to tolerate at all post sleeve. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the encouragement.  

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, I went over to France on my own for the first two days.  I met the other patients there at the hotel (the first two days the patients are accommodated in a nice big hotel) During that time we went to the hospital as out-patients via a pre-arranged taxi service.  My wife joined me on the third (day of the op.) and fourth day as that was my critical recovery.  She slept in a separate bed in my private hospital room.  She left after that period, and I had another day back on my own in the hotel before flying home.  

2. Did I want someone with me?  I REALLY needed her; I can't stress that enough.  If you can't get someone with you for the whole time you'd thank yourself for a friend on the 3rd and 4th day.  I know it might be difficult to get someone you'd trust, but you'd not regret if for one moment.  Please try and get someone.

3. I was on my own for the trip home.  I flew.  It was fine, but I wished I'd had help.  

4. Who knows about my op?  My wife knows, obviously! Other than that, it's the folks in the Primary and Acute NHS who are helping me.  I decided to not tell others.  I've just said I'm eating less, overall.  I'm trying to not go out to dinner at friends' houses or stuff like going to restaurants with friends.   I've come to the conclusion that it'll be a few months before I can do that again, but with MUCH smaller portions.  It's only 6 months of my life to cope with, but I'm hoping it's worth it.  

5. What can I eat?  I dare not eat too many foods!  I'm still worthing with soups and really soft food.  So, here's a typical day:

Breakfast: 1 Weetabix, crushed and bathed in milk.  Heated for 90 seconds in the microwave.

Lunch: 1/3 - 1/2 a pot of fresh soup from supermarket.  

Supper: One egg whisked with milk and a little butter.  In the microwave for 60 seconds.

I sip water/squash once every few minutes after 30 mins of eating.  I must try and get 1.5 ltrs of water in the day time.  

I never feel hungry, as I can't.  I do feel an acidic tummy when I ought to be eating, so that's useful.  

Does this help?  Feel free to ask any further questions.  

Dave.

• Posted

Just a little update:

I'm almost two months post French sleeve op (can't believe it...) and I've now lost (heading towards) 4 stones.  I look different in the face and have not been this slim for many many years.  I can now fit into almost all of my formal clothes and another stone will see me into the smallest.  

I went to a baptism yesterday and there was a reception, afterwards.  I had to try and eat 'normal food' I picked at some chicken for 1/2 hour and left the rest.  It was DELICIOUS but I could not even slightly tuck in to it.  It's still odd visiting the supermarket and seeing food that I used to polish off, but now could only eat a couple of mouthfuls.  I'm drinking lots of water, though.

I don't feel hungry, but will get an acidic feeling in my tummy when it's time to eat.  It's not painful, but it's a 'thing'.  

The NHS (who handle my post france surgery) have been amazing.  It's good to know they are taking charge.

Now my face looks much slimmer, people are asking how I've done it.  That's a bit tricky, as they don't know.  I just say I'm eating a lot less....

Other than that, things are okay.  Please ask any further questions; I'll try and be helpful!

Thanks,

Dave

• Posted

Thanks for the info Davey. I am currently talking to Tullia and I’m a bit a scared to take the step. 

Feeling unsure if they are legit and good quality etc. 

Was the care with you good. Any tips you can tell me will be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks for the message that you’ve left. Yes, I can perfectly understand that you are feeling nervous. Yes, they are legit; I was really worried about that right at the beginning. 

I am heading towards almost 5 stone weight loss, in about 3 pounds time.  I am hardly recognisable ! This has taken almost 3 months  and I am now 12.5 stone 

I am eating a fraction of what I ate, and I really do mean a fraction. 

If you would like to get some more detail, send me a personal message on this site; I’d be glad to answer any questions. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.