2.5 Weeks since Gastric Sleeve in Le Harve, France - My Experience

Posted , 10 users are following.

It has been 2.5 weeks since I went to Le Harve in France to have a sleeve operation to reduce the size of my stomach. 

I am back home, and I'm starting to feel better. In that time I have lost almost 2 stone. Naturally, some of that will be tissue, but a majority of it is thanks to eating very very small portions of food.

You will be able to find the company in question by searching for Le Harve bariatric surgery. Their website is surprisingly old looking, but contains the information you need, including current prices. 

I am a man in my early 40s attracted to this service because they do not require a high BMI for surgery. My BMI was between 32 and 33, and they accepted me after discussions with the consultant.

I paid something in the region of £6,000 for the operation which included hotel stays and hospital treatment during the period. A British private hospital would not except me with a BMI of under 35, and their fee would be something in the region of £11,000.

Overall, my experience was positive even through there were some moments I'd not rather re-live!

I arrived at Paris airport and was taken by taxi to my hotel in le Harve. After two days of minor tests, I had the operation on the Wednesday, and arrived back at my hotel on the Friday for an overnight stay. On the Saturday morning the consultant visited me in my hotel room, undertook some checks, and explained various medicines, and I was taken by taxi back to the airport in Paris.

It is only 2 1/2 weeks since I've had the operation, but I think I am pleased that I've undertook it; only time will tell! 

I am happy to receive any personal messages through this site if you would like further details of my experience with the consultant, or any of the other staff from this firm. If you are in a similar position to me with a low BMI, I am pretty sure you would not regret bariatric surgery.

3 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi have high bmi I am 21 stone if

what can you eat know your at home

Like what have you for breakfast and dinner and for tea how much bread can you eat 1 slice or 2

• Posted

Hello Lakeside,

Thanks for the message.

In fairness, I am eating a small diet as listed earlier in this thread of messages. So, breakfast is one Weetabix, lunch is a soup, and supper is a very modest piece of meat or fish with a really small amount of vegetables. 

I don’t really fancy eating much more, and, in fairness, I can’t eat much more! I can drink water after 30 minutes of each meal, which keeps me hydrated. I have some medication which has been prescribed by the NHS after my French operation, but that is about it! 

As far as alcohol is concerned: 1/4 of a pint of beer, or a single shot of whiskey. 

Bread is almost nothing. I really don’t fancy eating it as it takes up too much space! The same could be said for rice and pasta.  I can eat some, but prefer not to do that.

I still love cheese, and can eat that, but only in very modest portions, and over a long period of time.

As ever, it is a fine balance between looking stick thin and being able to eat lots and lots of food.  You can’t have it both ways, but this seems to work for me at the moment. 

As you will recall, my wife had this operation seven years ago going from a size 20 to a size 12. She still looks amazing. 

I hope that helps? There are still challenges which I face on a daily basis, ostensibly thanks to eating such a small amount  for a 6 foot guy. 

However, lots of people think I am ill as I have lost so much weight. Reassuring them that I feel fine, and have been strict, seems to allay their fears.

I hope that helps? Please ask any questions.

Dave 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.