2 bottles a night

Posted , 7 users are following.

My wife drinks 2 bottle of Pinot Grigio a night to help her sleep, due to ruptured discs in her back. Is this bad? I try to tell her it me not good for her health but she doesn't listen. She's a nurse , and says she knows what's she's doing and that she also has a larger then normal liver so she can drink that much without a problem. I've started watering down her bottles of wine, about 40% water to 60% wine.

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Zeek, you are correct to be concerned.

Assuming you are in the UK, if you look at the label on the reverse of the bottle it will show how many UK units of alcohol are in each bottle.  Depending on the strength, it will probably show somewhere between 6-10 units per bottle.

Under old guidelines, the recommended 'safe' limit for women was 14 units per WEEK.  This was the limit at which it was considered that drinking would not do any harm.  Continuing to drink at these levels she currently is doing will likely to do harm her health.  Even assuming each bottle is on the low side of 6 units each, she is drink 84 units per week, so miles over safe levels (6 units x 2 bottles each night x 7 nights).

Under more recent guidelines, that limit has been revised downwards.

As a nurse, I feel sure that she will be aware of this.

Depending on whether she is also taking painkillers or not, the risk may be multiplied many times.

Please try and encourage her to speak to her doctor about her pain and her drinking levels.  Ironically drinking to sleep doesn't actually provide much in the way of restful REM sleep, so it is actually counter-productive in the long term.

• Posted

I agree that she is most certainly over the limit and also wonder why she does not taste that you are watering down the wine?? Something need to go...shake her up for certain...Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.