2 breaks in foot and Ankle

Posted , 9 users are following.

firstly, my heart goes out to you all. I'm looking at the stories and being day 5 after surgery with pins, plates and pain I'm just coming back to reality and see the long haul ahead. In bed and couch, foot up, no weight on it or in any position really but up. I guess right now wait and see in 2 weeks for X-ray and hopefully cast. I'm 65 with osteo so know this is going to be a very slow go. Lucky I have a husband but with him working, helping me and doing the house he's overwhelmed. One day at a time. Any tricks of the trade are appreciated as it's hard being dependent for pretty much on everything. Thanks everyone and keep on, cause I know I'm going have a few crumb days along this path and your stories are going to be my inspiration.

best

jannie 

2 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Jannie,

I feel for you. I'm 62 and I broke my ankle Sept 25th. At this point I'm doing much better and I healed even with osteopenia. 

My tips: wheelchair if you don't have one, I bought a knee scooter (but I felt it was hard to mount and I felt insecure, maybe better for someone in better shape than me), shower chair ( I put mine in my jacuzzi tub), elevating and ice are helpful, find something to entertain yourself (I crocheted multiple baby blankets), get out of the house as often as you can to brighten your mood, hire a housecleaner if possible (it's too much for the caretaker, remember it's temporary) massage once a week (your arm and shoulder muscles get a work out). I felt  guilty that my husband had to do so much. I didn't hire a housekeeper, but in hindsight I should have.

The time goes by faster than you think. Focus on healing, eating right. Before you know it you'll be wondering if the ankle is going to work and then wa la, it does. I've been amazed how it all seems to come together. 

I'm in a boot for another 10 days. My ankle is stiff. I've gotten 50% of the mobility back. I can walk in my house with a walker. I had crutches, but didn't use them much while NWB. I've used them with the boot. 

Take care of yourself. Wishing you a speedy recovery. I'm available if you have any questions. 

• Posted

Thank you Linda, you've given me inspiration and some kind of a timeframe to look at. I'm eating very well, have a wheelchair but right now it just moves me from a to b to sit in a different room, not a bad thing. I have visitors so I'm very grateful for that too. My butt is getting pretty sore haha. Thank God for my iPad and dog!  When you were not mobile did you stretch your other leg. When did you start ohysio and would upper body sore too?  Other than that day by day. I've cut way down on pain Meds and pretty much twice a day light dose which helps. Dr said don't let the pain get away on you.  Thanking you so much your going be my lifeline and others on this site. A big thankyou

best

jannie 

• Posted

I took Celebrex and Tylenol for pain. After, 5 days I took Tylenol twice a day. I only had severe pain for 2 days and at night. It seemed that it would swell in the day and feel like it had a tourniquet on my ankle at night. I'm still taking it once or twice a day. I did some leg lifts with both legs, tried to stretch my back and neck. Getting a massage really helped. If you have the energy I would think moving around would be good. I did feel very tired and was going to bed at 6pm and getting up very early at 3am.  My injured leg was atrophied by the time the cast came off, but it comes back quickly. My calf looked very thin and weak, but now 2 weeks with some mobility and it looks much better. I would think it could take another month to look normal. It's nice to have some company.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda 

im day 5 after surgery. I'm taking pain Meds twice a day, nite is worst but icing helps underneath my splint -  Right now I'm going from bed to commode and back to bed. It has to be up Dr says so no wheeling around much. Then I go to living room with leg us for change of view. Hopefully some Christmas decor will lift my spirits more. So far so good with my Spirits.....I very much appreciate your help, this forum is my life line right now.  It is encouraging to have this!!!!! Enjoy your day! Best Jannie 

• Posted

I put a dryer sheet in my boot to keep it smelling nice. Other than that

, be careful on wet floor spots with crutches.

• Posted

Good tip, look forward in 2 weeks to hopefully getting my cast.  Enjoy your day
    • Posted

I was told to keep foot up for 2 weeks with only going to bathroom. Up when sleeping too. That's what I did and had NO swelling. I know it's hard to stay in bed but my physical therapist told me by staying in bed with leg up almost all the time is what helped me the most in that 2 wk period. I am 8 wks since surgery and have had boot 2 wks of those 8. Still keep foot up whenever I can. Hardly any swelling as I am walking in boot. Keep in mind the swelling is a lot of what's causing the pain all along. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Dee 

lim doing as you, foot up, in bed as Dr said no movement. It's hard as can be being on your butt all day, but it's for this period of time. I'm happy it's going good for you, your 8  weeks ahead of me, so I'll follow your lead. Thanking you Dee, any tips I'm happy to hear them. Thank God for Internet, this site and people on this forum. I wish you a smooth recovery......keep on

best

jannie 

• Posted

A laptop computer was a great distraction for me. I watch any you tube on anything I didn' t know how to do: makeup, jewelry making, cooking...you name it. Always have a pen and notebook on clip board by your side. I had several in key places. Also had cell chargers in various places As well as lots of water to drink. Keep your foot up all the time. I have had minimal swelling because I did it all the time except when using bathroom and shower chair...even when sleeping. Good luck. Follow Dr orders explicitly.
    • Posted

Thank you Dee, yes I'm doing all of that and swelling looks good....hurts like heck moving from bed to chair when position goes from up to down, but I know blood flow causes this. I know once I can stand again it will settle. Yes tray full of pens, paper, music, YouTube is a life saver and drinking tons of water...I can't tell you how happy that I found this site. It's tough having your mate as a care giver cause I just want to make things as smooth as possible, can't fire the help....haha

enjoy your day! Best Jannie 

• Posted

Hi Dee 

i wanted to ask you a question, I'm going Wed for 2.week post op X-ray and hopefully cast. Did you at this point when your foot was down, that the foot starts to throb & notice it getting better when you are allowed to have the foot down again.  My foot feels like it's got a 100 pound weight on it. I've stayed in bed with only bathroom breaks. So far I think so good. I've got my pain mess down a lot too. I'm looking forward to being able to at least have my foot down. I Am non bearing for 6 weeks. How long were you non weight bearing Dee?  How is your progress now. Any tips for when the staples and Sprint comes off. Thanking you and enjoy your day!

best

jannie 

• Posted

Hi Janniie

I see you wrote this 2 months ago so I hope by now you are walking. I found after the removal of the first cast and having a replacement that I felt I had gone back a week with the amount of pain it caused. The ankle was bent and stretched to put the second cast in place.  Now after 3 weeks all has settled down with no pain relief needed but I keep my leg elevated most of the day and on a pillow at night.  Hope all has worked out well for you.

• Posted

Hi Beryl

good to hear your pain has settled again. It's a slow process. I'm not fully weight bearing yet so not walking sadly. I'm making slow progress to unlocking my foot and touching down with boot. I'm in aircast still but my foot is out most the day to freely move my toes and foot. I'm about 50% unlocked. A ways to go to be NWB. I wish you good days moving forward!!  💃🏃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.