2 breaks in foot and Ankle

Posted , 9 users are following.

firstly, my heart goes out to you all. I'm looking at the stories and being day 5 after surgery with pins, plates and pain I'm just coming back to reality and see the long haul ahead. In bed and couch, foot up, no weight on it or in any position really but up. I guess right now wait and see in 2 weeks for X-ray and hopefully cast. I'm 65 with osteo so know this is going to be a very slow go. Lucky I have a husband but with him working, helping me and doing the house he's overwhelmed. One day at a time. Any tricks of the trade are appreciated as it's hard being dependent for pretty much on everything. Thanks everyone and keep on, cause I know I'm going have a few crumb days along this path and your stories are going to be my inspiration.

best

jannie 

2 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 12 weeks post op after breaking tibula and fibula . I am in a lace up brace right now . Mon and tues I tried to just use one crutch then on wed I woke up and could not hardly put any weight on it and continues today . My doctor seems to think I should have been walking without crutches a few weeks ago and I am getting worried that me trying to just use the one crutch has reinjured something . Has anyone has anything like this happen ?
  • Posted

Hello

I thought I'd do a catch up at week 8. I began Physio yesterday and although I was nervous I was excited to begin the process. She seemed to understand my concerns and respectful so that was a good start

She began by massaging the surgery site as she says the muscles and tendons can almost become part of the plate so it felt weirdly good. She carried on working with her hands all the tendons in the heel and ankle that has been locked up tight as a drum. I couldn't believe all the dead skin coming off my foot as she did this even though I've been massaging coconut oil daily to my foot and leg. She worked on loosening my foot for at least 15 minutes. She told me to have my boot off as much as possible so my foot could move. When I do have my boot on I'm to rest my foot on the ground not really bearing weight but just letting it touch the floor. She also wants me twice a week and water therapy other days.

She also wants me to sit on my stationary bike and move my foot up and down on the peddle and if I can't do that just sit on my bike and peddle with my good foot. The goal here is preparing me for weight bearing to stand and get up in my walker, I'm still in a wheelchair and being to just get used to my foot down and out of my boot  - today I begin three times a day with all that she told me to do daily until I see her Thurs. this also includes leg strengthening exercises and also mirror therapy. Sitting with a mirror covering my injured foot so I look like I have two good feet...apparently this trains the brain to look at your injured foot differently. You can google or YouTube on this therapy. 

I know its a lot but wanted to share what I'm doing to get going, I'm focussing on a day at a time cause I know it's a long process and journey. 

I wish you you a great day and keeping our Spirits up as much as possible cause I know I have good and bad days. 

Take good care 

Jannie 

• Posted

Hi Jannie,

Nice to hear from you.  I tried to respond on your response, but for some reason it wouldn't let me.  The burning sensation is exactly what I experience.  My heel feels so locked when I lift my toes up it pulls on both sides of my heel.  I had the same experience with my PT yesterday.  He was pulling on my foot and pushing my foot up while pressing with his fingers on the top of my foot where it bends.  It didn't hurt at all at the time, but last night and today I was in so much pain it was hard to walk and I was back to limping. The bones in the top of my foot felt broken and the bottom of my feet was going into spasm.  And my tibia ached, which I didn't break.  I should have called him and discussed it, but I didn't.  This was the new guy.  He seems experienced and very surprised how much pain it gave me.  I hate to complain to him because I'm worried I'll scare him into backing off too much.  My husband said don't go back when he saw how I felt.  An exercise I've found helpful that I found online is while your foot is resting on the floor, lift your toes a little and  pretend you are picking up a cloth with your toes. I feel like that stretches the sides of the heel. I also stand with the injured leg back doing a calf stretch, lifting up and down every few seconds.  It seems it works better than holding it for 30 seconds. This does create burning, then I ice.  

Is your ankle swelling at night?  I'm glad you're able to get to PT.  Let me know how you felt the next day.  How soon do you go again.  I was getting massages every week at first, which I think helped with the circulation and waking up the muscles and breaking up the fascia.  I think the pain is wearing me down even though I can do some things.  I went to a movie yesterday, but my ankle hurt it was hard to forget about it.  Are you and your husband retired?  My husband and I are and he has been very good about helping me and taking me around.  I feel for people that don't have that support. 

Wishing you pain relief and a flexible ankle so we get back to dancing.  

• Posted

Hi Linda 

thank you for getting back. I'm retired but my husband still working. He's been amazing and supportive so I'm grateful for that. I'm in a slow process moving forward about 50% foot unlocked. Out of my boot most of the day and in it moving around in my chair doing the chores I can do. I'm still getting a lot of pain and resistance to having my foot flat on n the floor. I'm seeing some small changes though. 

Re physio. I go twice a week but seeking a second opinion for possibly some things she is not addressing with my tight hamstrings which I'm doing rigorous leg strengthening exercises for and my hips which are badly out. I keep telling her I think it's all connected but she's not addressing it! I'm using the Internet to pick up new exercises for this. I'm not able to pick up the facecloth with my toes yet but try ach day and pretend to....

i hope your swelling settles soon, my is minimal but my pain is constant. Oh my I wish it was better but I can see day by day so not to get ahead otherwise it's just too much. Keep on your doing it no matter what. Oh yes are you elevating your foot at night to help with swelling....

take good care. 💃🏃🏂

• Posted

Hi Jannie,

It's nice to hear from you. I just got back from going out to lunch then to a movie.  It's so nice to be able to get out.  It still bothers me to have my foot hanging down.

I'm so happy to hear you're getting some movement out of your ankle. Sometimes others can see the improvement more than we can. I'm sorry you are having constant pain, it does wear on you.  I think I've had more pain since I started this weight bearing process.  I had very little pain in the beginning.  Have you had pain the entire time?  In the morning, I feel pretty good, but by about 6pm I'm over it.  The burning bothers me a lot.  I sit around icing it in the evening.  That is great that you have minimal swelling, I would think that is a sign of healing and your circulation is returning.  The color of mine looks more normal.  I do have some pain in the bones and the top and bottom of my foot.  The PT said all these muscles are like cement and have to be forced to move again. My gait with my "Clarks" is pretty good, but I can't wear anything that rubs on my ankle. 

I do elevate my leg and wrap it in an ace bandage.  Do you feel the hardware when you are moving your ankle?  I feel like I do.  I have the feeling I'm going to have it taken out.  A friend of mine broke his and he left his hardware in and he say's he doesn't even notice it.  

Were you able to get out of the house today?  

Best wishes Janniebiggrin

• Posted

Good morning Linda 

Firstly, thank you for your kind post and thinking of me, it is greatly appreciated.  This forum is not only supportive but real without being pesimistic.......thanks to all the ankle biters.......lol

Had a rough weekend with burning which only began this past week since physio became more intense. I just got back from my physio this morning and she thinks it's nerve pain, as I see my Dr. Tomorrow about this she thinks gabbepentin could help with this. Is anyone taking this??  I'm having a bit more movement and at 15% so I was 0 - 2 weeks ago, as a measure stick....the problem right now is I sprained my other foot just prior to my break and with all the load going to it has complicated me getting to being more weight bearing......I'm trying to stay calm but it's been difficult to say the least. She taped my good foot and I'll see what my Dr says tomorrow. Wish I had better news but it is what it is as my son always says....

I thought of of you with your burning too so I hope you get relief soon. Let me know how your making out Linda, onwards and upwards!!

Otherwise I'm doing ok and trying to distract myself with art, friends, music and whatever I can. I found a sign that says Keep Calm, Carry On which I hung in my bedroom so I can see it 24/7. Mental strength really gets tested and I don't think most people even have a clue to this type of injury. Thank God for my amazing husband, I couldn't do it with out him. I can't wait to go dancing with him again.......💃

take good care of yourself!! 

Best jannie 👣🏃

• Posted

Hi Jannie,

Yes, I think my burning has gotten worse since I started weight bearing. The doctor has ordered Gabapentin 100 mg, but I haven't taken it "yet".  I keep hoping it will go away so I don't have to take it.  I am very sensitive to medication and I'm worried about trying it, but...the pain and burning is wearing.  I went to play bunco with a bunch of crazy ladies tonight. It's the first time I've been able to go since I broke my ankle.  The snow has melted and it's safer to get out of car.  I'm still afraid to walk on the snow and ice which I think there is a real danger when your ankle is still weak.  Are you going to try the Gabapentin?  I may try it and cut the dose in half.  From what I understand it helps with the pain without being addictive and it's suppose to help with sleep.  That would be super hard to have your other ankle weak.  I do think 50% is progress and you're moving forward.  For me, it is too slow, also.  

I'm happy you have a good husband and you can look forward to dancing with him.  Dancing is my favorite thing.  So, many times I've wondered if I'll ever be able to dance again.  At this point, I think it will happen for us both. Here's hoping we will move forward this week giving us hope towards the future.  Let me know if you try the gabapentin and I'll do the same.

• Posted

Good morning Linda 

thanks for your post. I'm with you in the gabbapentin, I'm drug sensitive and after reading the reviews here and other forums it does not feel right t me. I'm not willing to compromise my mental state and energy so it ' might' help. I read that L5 lower back compression can cause burning in feet so I'm going to go and get my hips and back adjusted. After sitting mostly 10 weeks I'm in discomfort. I'm also reading that lipoic acid can help. I have my list of questions for the Dr today. I personally think it's all the nerve endings healing and just working with the pain and medication.  I'm wanting to do whatever without a drug that has too many side effects. I'm also getting Devils claw cream which is also very good. Drinking oat straw tea is good also. It's not advised to do acupuncture at my stage. I've spoken to my acupuncturist and he recommended the tea. I hope this helps a bit Linda. I so get what you say and feel exactly the same. Our snow is melting and my trips outside are minimal but itching to get going, I'm done with this.  Enjoy your day, your doing........best Jannie 💫

• Posted

That would be your doing great!!!!!!👣
    • Posted

Hi Linda 

back from Dr today, she agreed gabbapentin not a good fit for me. She did say there is a topical with gabapentin in it with good results. We're going give it a few weeks. She did say to manage with Meds as needed since I take them sparingly. Did not agree with PT and says she thinks it's normal with tendons and nerves to be sensitive. One thing homeopathic St John's wort works on nerve pain especially after surgery and trauma. I'm starting that today. Will keep you posted. Google it, but the homeopathic type. 

Bath day, so relaxed and super lazy.....what else is new. Doing some on the bed yoga now so that's nice from regular exercises. I hope your having a good day. Keep on.....👣💃

• Posted

Hi Jannie,

Thats good to know about he topical gabapentin.  I'm going to ask my doctor for it.  I like doing things the more natural way when I can, seems like less side effects.  

Sounds like you're still unable to get in and out of the bath.  It's amazing how scary that is until you gain more confidence.  I have a spa tub that is deep and I put a shower chair in the tube.  I could sit on the side of the tube and swing my legs into the tube  putting my good leg down, grabbing the shower chair and pivoting around.  I have a shower nozzle in their.  It was cold sitting like that, but I would heat up the room ahead of time.  Once, my incision was finally healed I lowered myself in there on one leg, then I'd totally try myself off before I tried to get out, wiping the tub dry.  I was so afraid of slipping.  I'm very deliberate and careful and I'm using the shower chair in the shower.  I was throwing a dry towel down in the shower to get out to avoid slipping. Now, that  you've heard my entire life shower story.

I didn't feel good this morning and was kind of grumpy.  I haven't even stretched or done any exercises the entire day.  I went to the dermatologist for another reason.  Then went to Costco.  Do you have these stores where you live? I had been going and using their electric carts to shop in this vast store, not only to save my ankle from swelling, but to avoid people from hitting you with their carts.  Today, I bravely took on the store on my own 2 feet.  I walked from the parking lot, not using the handicap space.  I guess this is progress of sorts.  It appears that our intuition knows when we are ready to do things.  I do think it's individual and we must follow at our own speed. 

Tell me again where you live, seems like you said you lived in a mountain town.  Is that correct?  I live in a mountain town.  There is a large ski resort 17 miles from my house.  It is a fairlly small town.  

I cancelled my PT with the new guy this week.  My old one is coming back next week and I decided to wait for him because he gives me an hour and the one only gives me 30 minutes.  I have a limit of 15 visits this years.

I think I'll go to the pool again tomorrow on my own and then I have a group coming over to meditate in the evening.  I think the meditation lowers my stress level which has to good for healing.  When this first happened I couldn't think of anything, but the fracture, I'm so happy that is over.  I never realized how much better it is to do for others than to be dependent.

I must go finish the dinner.  It is nice to say that, even though my ankle is hurting I can still do it.

Hugs, Linda 

• Posted

Good morning Linda 

i hope your having a better day, being grumpy is allowed I've never been in such a roller coaster of emotions. I work on keeping steady, also meditate daily, have been for many years. I live in a village of 1000 in the mountains of W. Kootenay. It has limited services but fitting the bill so far physio twice a week, bath at hospital and starting shower at home this week. Nervous as that is where I fell, but getting thru it. I'm getting a massage this week too. Did you find as foot started weight bearing you had new and different pain in foot. My left heel/ankle feels like something poking, I wish I'd find my new normal. I guess this will come. 

Good you get to go the pool, can't wait to be in water more. We don't have Costco but the cart sounds perfect. I'm now branching out on my outings. They all seem to be medical ones. Some days I'm so restless I want to scream. Time to turn up loud music!!! Im writing more, but by this length of time people have moved on and my visits from people are less infrequent now....I was grateful for all the help.  Are you able to do most home chores?  Have any tricks for keeping things up?  

Wishing you you well, keep on.......thank you for your kind posts! 

Hugs 💃🏃🏂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.