2 days after bunions removed. Do I need to sleep with Darco boots on?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, 

I just had bunions removed on both of my feet two days ago. I slept with my surgical sandales on for the first night but my ankles got tired and sore. I have been in bed without them last night and today. Only put them on when I visit the toilets. I would love to hear your experience on this. It seems to be a long journey ahead...

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm 9 days post bunion removal from my left foot, 4 months post surgery from the same on my right foot both permanently pinned and stapled. I don't wear the boot at all for the 1st few weeks as it aggrivates my scar. I just use my crutches and rest my heel on the floor if needed. I'm permanently in bed for the 1st 2 to 3 weeks with my foot raised and a blanket sleeve in the bed. Im sure this aided my great recovery last time. I only get out of bed to use the bathroom although i can get myself in and out the bath now but that took practice..my husband having to help until now. I reccommend complete rest keep your feet up best you can to avoid excessive swelling.......and patience....it will pay off.

• Posted

HI Mrs chatty,

Very useful advice. I haven't been out of bed much either, poor husband has to look after me and our 5 year old at the same time, lol... I will keep having my feet up. I will see my surgeon in two weeks, hopefully things will get better.

Thank you again for your reply.

• Posted

Hi Sandra well done wish you well soon.I am no help to you.I am 73 and waiting to get both of mine done and I am worried about having them done together .I will watch your progress to give me courage.well done .Len
    • Posted

Hi Len,

I will definately keep you posted. I can walk to the bathroom with my Darco sandales on but I have managed to stay in bed for most of the time.

All the best wishes I hope I can bring some good progress to you. 

• Posted

Hi Sandra. I didn't sleep in my shoes. I sleep under a duvet (am in the uk) and turned it over so it was resting on my feet and had my feet on two pillows. Good luck with your healing. Can I recommend a Facebook page - assuming you use FB? - I survived a bunionetcomy. It's a really useful page for lots and lots of questions and advice good luck with your healing

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

Thank you for the fb page, will have a look at it now. I am in Australia it is winter time so I have my quilt on also with one pillow under my feet, I had both of my bunions done at the same time. I have a sore back from being in bed for too long. 

• Posted

How many days/weeks post operative are You? Up to day 4 was the worst for me ... having a double and hammer toe straightened and it got better from then. I stayed most of the time in bed up until then. Bit thought...this is going to beat me...and started moving around....very slowly I hasten to add! Sorry to read you're getting back pain. Hope it all gets better for you soon xx

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

how long time ago was your op? Just wonder about mobility....I had my op 6 weeks ago, 2 screws +on e hammer toe....I find it is very painfull to walk and my big toe is very stif... what are your experience? I also kept resting the first 4 weeks, but maybe should have started earlier with the walking?

:-) Vibeke

• Posted

Hi Vibeke

My op was 9th July.

It was about 2 weeks after the op that I went out (my husband took me to the supermarket). It felt great to be out.

I still can't stand too long without the boots.

I'm slowly transitioning out of them too into footwear that fits.

My hammer toe that was straightened is still stiff and doesn't bend like my other toes, however, I did expect that so am not overly concerned, but have good movement in my feet.

Good luck with your healing process xx

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

I am 6 days after my surgery today. Went for a change of surgical dressing today, all was very well. I didn't have much of pain but since the dressing got off, my left foot started to hurt. It feels like my big toe about to fall off, very painful to walk. I just took off the bunion sleeve from my left, right is still on. I feel much better. 

• Posted

I had a tailor's bunion removed on 7/24/17 on my right foot. Since there was not much angulation they just did the simple bunionectomy. I will be getting my left little toe done probably in October. That one probably will require screws. I am currently still wearing that surgical shoe and for the first week I kept it on all of the time except for icing. Over the last week or so I have taken it off when going to bed. I keep it by the side of the bed and put it on if I have to get up to go to the restroom. I do keep the foot propped up when sleeping still. I think the most important thing is icing and keeping the foot propped. My foot feels great and I should be out of the shoe in a few days. Good luck!

• Posted

Interesting with the icing, I never heard about fra a Danish doctor, but found out from this forum and did it myself at one point – and indeed it felt really nice and help the swelling. Thanks for your input :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.