2 days in on mirtazapine. Flipping from crazy manic to sleepy sloth. Advice appreciated.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello there,

I've just started a months dose of 15 mg of Mirtazapine, and within 30 minutes of taking the dose I became like a crazed hyena. I tried to calm myself down and work on my breathing, this was impossible and went on for a further 3hrs, until the mania knocked me out with exhaustion. Today, I awoke feeling really groggy, lower back cramp. Mouth so dry, my tongue was stuck to the roof. For the rest of the day it's been hard to accomplish anything. I'm worried as I am in my final year of my degree and I don't want to feel like this, as this will be detrimental when studying because of chronic fatigue (this is honestly how I feel). I don't know what to do, the anxiety & depression has me on my knees of late, but at least I could figure out my moods. With these pills I feel terrible. Do these symptoms subside? Anyone who has persisted with mirtazapine (under the same circumstances as me) and found it got better.

I feel hopeless, I just don't want to feel this way anymore.

Thanks for reading xxx

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma

I have been on the same meds for 10 days and I haven't experienced those symptoms, so I am unable to advise on that. However, I do know meds take 2-4 weeks to really work, so I suspect your symptoms will calm down within that time period. Try to hang on in there it will get better! I was advised to take my meds at night, I take 30mg Mirtazipine at about 9pm and am ready to sleep by about 11pm, perhaps this may help you? ( unless of course you are taking them at night already?

Kind regards

Michelle

• Posted

Hi Michelle

Thanks for your response. This evening I took them a little after 9 and just feel sleepy, which is good. Have you found the mirtazapine helpful as of yet? My major issue is panic attacks ( I was attacked at knife point a few years ago) and although I do not experience the flashbacks, if I am walking somewhere alone, and it is completely random, my chest will start to pound and this often gets transferred to other situations. Even my hobbies are affected by the anxiety. I used to do drama and still do, but I start to experience the panick attacks on stage (which I never use to)

apologies for the long message, I really hope the mirtazapine starts to work for you soon.

Best wishes

Gemma xx

• Posted

Hi Gemma

So sorry to hear of your terrible experience.

If I were you I would go to bed as soon as you feel tired, otherwise I find I go past being tired & end up staying awake until the early hours.

I think I am seeing benefits already, as I haven't cried in about 4 days ( very good for me! ) .. :-)

I hope they work for you very soon.

Another bit of advise, if you don't mind, in relation to your panic attacks. I also suffer terribly with them, but I was taught a very useful technique called " the here and now". As soon as you feel one coming on you have to literally ground yourself, if you are able to sit down then do so, if not it doesn't matter. You describe what you can see around you, in your head if around people, or out loud if alone. For example " I can see my TV and there is a man wearing a hat talking to a girl, the programme is called..." Etc etc.. This sounds very basic, but it distracts you ling enough for your heart rate to slow down, and therefore hopefully preventing a panic attack. I find as soon as I feel my heart rate go up I start to panic, as I literally feel it in my throat etc. Might be worth a go :-)

Kind regards

Michelle

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

I've been taking 30mg of Mirtazapine at night for several years, if I recall when I first started my prescription I definitely felt very groggy the following morning but this wore off after a couple of weeks. They do suggest it takes two or so weeks for the meds to start working & for you to feel any benefit. I personally didn't experience any mania type symptoms, maybe it was down to a 'placebo' effect; you're aware of taking a medication that's new to you so you almost 'search out' how your feeling & reacting even more. I also suffer from periodic anxiety attacks that seem to happen at random (very frustrating not *yet* understanding the trigger). From my experience one can end up trying to predict or second guess when another maybe likely and inadvertently focusing too much on symptoms/feelings etc that can make things even worse, a snowball effect. I think when anyone begins a course of medication, especially antidepressants, which have to be quite powerful to do their thing, a certain amount of trepidation is to be expected. I'm glad you just felt sleepy after taking them tonight, I hope your groggyness subsides soon too, it should do.

We're all here if you want to chat anytime, you're not alone,

Dave.

• Posted

Hi Gemma

I'm on the 3 rd week of Mirt,  prescribed for panic attacks and depression.. 

Due to caring for my chronically sick husband 

and I can honestly say, I have not felt well since I started on it...

increased panic attacks, during the day, and sometimes during the night,

very sore mouth ., getting blisters on roof of my mouth, also dry mouth, at night, it's been a nightmare few weeks, flopping in my chest, and awful nightmares.

the only positive side, is I usually but not every night, sleep better,

I'm going to see my GP today, to ask to be taken off them

i don't see the point in taking a med, like this if you feel worse, when you're taking it,

after 3 weeks,

sorry I can't say any thing positive about Mirt.

you are in the early days yet, but if you do not improve, go back to you're GP,

i hope you find some consolation that  Mirt, affects a lot of people in this way,

whereas a lot manage to fund it a relief, I personally do not.

good luck to you Gemma  

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

This is my third day on 15mg mirtazapine, It's also knock me up for up 14 hours the first two days. Last night I was so worried about getting up for work, my sleep was broken between 1-2 hour and I was still late for work as unsafe to drive! I read that it takes up to two weeks to stabilise into a routine. Also if/when your doctor increase the dose the side effects lessen.

I work in a university as IT manager, so recommend you speak to you Student Support Team who will help you through this period and will discuss various means of support that the university can help with. As thier all want you to pass your final year with the best results that you can achieve.

All the Best

Tim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.